Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background Processes and Window Processes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anielica

anielica

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

I have 73 background processes and 80 windows processes running that I can see in my Task Manager and noticed that my computer is running slower than normal.  Would this have anything to do with it and how would I go about permanently fixing this issue?  Thank you for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

What specifically is slow?

#3 anielica

anielica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Startup and opening programs

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

You can download autoruns (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/autoruns/) and examine the apps loading with Windows. Uncheck anything you don't need or want starting with the system, save and reboot.

#5 anielica

anielica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

In Autoruns, would I be in the "Everything" tab?  If so, and I uncheck those things, can I still run them if I need them after the computer starts up?  For example, I have a ton of Dropbox programs checked.  If I uncheck them, will I still be able to access it if I need it?

How would I know if it is something I need for my computer to run properly?  If I uncheck something and my computer messes up, am I able to recheck it?

Edited by anielica, 14 January 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Start with the items in the LOGON tab. And yes, you can still run a program even if you uncheck it. All you are doing is preventing it from automatically loading with Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users