Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Touchsmart 600-1390 freezes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hucbald

Hucbald

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Hi--

I have had this computer for a while, no problems. Lately, it either freezes with the screen on, or freezes and the screen goes blank--not blue, just "off." Computer is running, but locked.

I'd love to fix this thing as it has a nice i7 and I just hate putting stuff like this in the landfill, even if they recycle some of the parts.

Hoping there is a software fix. I have done a complete reinstall of Win 7 and Office 2010 and updated everything, hoping that would fix it, but it's the same. Freezes usually twice a day, and has to be shut down with the power button as the keyboard and mouse are frozen as well.

I did swap out the Intel Rapid controller following instructions on this forum, but it didn't change anything.

Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CYMajxxHBFYDUyPxlpLwKgJ

Thanks so much!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

memtest shows no errors

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

I would suggest you reinstall your graphics driver as the first troubleshooting step - https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-touchsmart-600-1300-desktop-pc-series/4269984/model/4332888/swItemId/pv-87290-1

Do you have a scroll lock key on your USB keyboard?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

Hi--I reinstalled the graphics driver several times already, also doing a clean install, and tried all three Nvidia ion drivers....I don't see any difference with any of the drivers. I could remove the driver, but the computer would be very slow...

There is a scroll lock key on the USB keyboard--I have no idea what it does :)

Thanks so much....

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Thanks, let's see if manually initiating a crash via the keyboard will do us any good.

You need to first setup your computer to produce kernel memory dumps (instead of minidumps): http://www.mcci.com/mcci-v5/support/howtos2.html

Then you will need to run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) with administrator privileges and make the following changes. (Of course you should create a system restore point prior to this.)

With USB keyboards, you must enable the keyboard-initiated crash in the registry. In the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters, create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll, and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

Reboot your computer and the next time your computer hangs, hold down the rightmost CTRL key on your keyboard, and press SCROLL LOCK twice. This should force the hung system to crash generating a nice, juicy dump of what was going on in kernel mode. After the system reboots do the following to send me the dump file:

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service (like DropBox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.)

Don't be surprised that the system doesn't blue screen though. (I don't have time to get into why this is the case; best simple explanation is that it depends on how "low-level" the hang is...)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Thanks so much, I will try this and report.

I have a question--I ran memtest for two days straight with no errors, is it still possible that the ram chip is the problem, and it just doesn't show up on the stress test?

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

yes, it is possible... software tests are never 100% accurate.

#8 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

OK, I replaced the ram chip, no crashes for two days, and now it has gone back to crashing so I think the ram chip is not it. Replaced the Nvidia driver with a different one, no difference.
Latest dump from sysinternals attached. Help greatly appreciated.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

Did you try manually initiating the crash when the system hung? I don't see any attached file!?

#10 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Wasn't able to do that--keyboard doesn't work when the system crashes, maybe I did something wrong?

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Does it crash if you press the rightmost CTRL key + SCROLL LOCK + SCROLL LOCK when the system is NOT hung?

#12 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

Yes it will crash then.

#13 Hucbald

Hucbald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Maybe I can try a different keyboard....is the anything in the crash dump that looks suspicious?

I have a logitech wireless USB keyboard, it has never been a problem but I can switch it if you think it might be part of the problem.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

No, you don't need to try another keyboard. As I said earlier it depends how "low-level" the hang is. That's why I prefer PS/2 keyboards to USB keyboards because they have a higher interrupt level...

For now please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576333/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

I honestly suspect a hardware problem too, so it'd be nice if you could start these diagnostics: http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Edited by bwv848, 19 January 2018 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users