Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm - Warning for XP users!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 a726452004

a726452004

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:30 PM

I had sygate and zone alarm running on my XP. After completing my routine Zone Alarm update my PC would shut down right in the midst of booting. I first thought it was sasser.
However, multiple scans with all sorts of sasser and korgo removal tools didn't reveil squat. I fixed the problem by starting in safe mode and deleting Zone Alarm. Now everything runs fine.
IMHO, and I read a lot of Zone Alarm problems, this program is not stable enough on XP and does not provide much additional security, beyond FREQUENT windows updates. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:49 AM

No problems here. It might be the sygate/za combination

Edited by Bluie, 12 June 2004 - 11:50 AM.

#3 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:36 AM

Seems the latest ZA upgrade has big big problems. (see the user forum http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs )

On my Dell (XP Pro) I can no longer run check disc, it does not recognise my AV program (AVG), and surfing is intermittently either slow or impossible.

Emails to their tech support have only led to the advice to do a clean uninstall and roll back to the previous version, which I am reluctant to do as some of the folks out there in the user forum have found things to be even worse after that.

No sign of anyone at Zone Labs sorting this out! :thumbsup:

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

I've been having problems, too.

with ZoneAlarm.

If you've time to kill, read these...much was solved by simply shutting off ZA

this one
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1267

and this one under HijackThisLogs
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1233

and you'll see the bottom line is...no ZA, no problem.

I'm still learning the ins & outs, and appreciate your input, :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:26 PM

You had sygate firewall and zone alarm running on the same pc?

There is no need to do that and problems cour arise due to that. Just pick one or the other based upon your preferences and use that.

#6 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:50 AM

Follow-up to my last message - I did eventually do a clean uninstall of the ZA version 5 and reverted back to 4.5, since when all problems have resolved. I'm watching the ZA users' forum before upgrading again!

Luci2a

#7 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:24 PM

I also have been using ZONE ALARM. However, I plan to begin using MS new upgraded Firewall when it comes out with SP2 next month. Good Idea--Bad Idea?

Anyone using the Beta version with the firewall?
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#8 hjdiet

hjdiet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:13 AM

I also have been using ZONE ALARM. However, I plan to begin using MS new upgraded Firewall when it comes out with SP2 next month. Good Idea--Bad Idea?

Anyone using the Beta version with the firewall?

I have ZA Pro on my Dell at the new release and have not had any problems. On my laptop, I removed ZA in favor of SP2 and that seems stable as well (so far). :thumbsup:

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:28 AM

EdBee:
Using the MS firewall,even though upgraded to SP2, is definitely a bad choice. All the information I have read makes it plain that it only examines packets coming in to your computer; if perchance you have a trojan, or any kind of spyware, on your computer, the MS firewall will not prevent them from sending information out. You loose control over significant activitity by using the built-in firewall.

a726452004:
Running two firewalls simultaneously can lead to conflicts and negate their purpose; moreover, it slows down your computer; choose one or the other (my preference would be Sygate), and delete the other program.

Regards to all,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 bostickt

bostickt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:44 PM

There are proven problems with Zone Alarm as mentioned but running two firewalls on the same PC like that causes problems too.

-T

#11 Hawk

Hawk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:22 PM

I am using Zone alarm and XP no problem at all. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users