Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner Stuck on Temporary Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

I ran Ccleaner today and it endlessly cycled through sub-files of a particular System Temporary File for a couple of hours. When I canceled the scan it had only found 245 Mb to delete. When I continued the scam it went into the same infinite loop. What would you recommend in order to free up Ccleaner? It appears to be stuck. I don't want to uncheck System Temp Files. Is there a way to manually delete them and maybe free up Ccleaner?

Your ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

"When I continued the scam". Should be scan.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

try running it in safe mode

#4 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Ok. Thanks. I'll report back. 

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

I'm back. After running Ccleaner all this time in safe mode I finally got everything out. I'm sure it had to do with transferring the contents of Google Drive and One Drive into Dropbox.

What I would like to know is why safe mode? I have gone into safe mode occasionally to root out a virus with Malwarebytes. I can see the advantage of that but what does safe mode do for me regarding Ccleaner? I don't know if it would have gone through and finished without being in safe mode had I given it sufficient time or not. Thanks though, regardless. . 

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

I'm back. After running Ccleaner all this time in safe mode I finally got everything out. I'm sure it had to do with transferring the contents of Google Drive and One Drive into Dropbox.

What I would like to know is why safe mode? I have gone into safe mode occasionally to root out a virus with Malwarebytes. I can see the advantage of that but what does safe mode do for me regarding Ccleaner? I don't know if it would have gone through and finished without being in safe mode had I given it sufficient time or not. Thanks though, regardless. . 

because there are less processes running in the background in safe mode.....so more of your CPU can goo toward running the ccleaner

after you run ccleaner in safe mode successfully....run it in regular mode again....this time it should be able to finish

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

If you run into that again use disk cleanup in accessories, then go back into CC for a final.  I run into a loaded system like that from time to time and use that to shorten the mess up.  I believe in running CC every few weeks or sooner depending on how much net time.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

I understand.I forgot about all of the still running processes even with all browsers closed.Makes sense. Thanks.

I run Ccleaner at least every Sunday and right after I've used Google Earth (takes forever even if you clear the cache before exiting Google Earth) and after a search that has led me to many different sites and many different cookies. I'd say Ccleaner is run at least 3 or 4 times per week.

I think I know what caused the flood of temporary files. I transferred all files, mostly pix, from Google Drive and One Drive to Dropbox on this laptop just prior to running Ccleaner. 

Thanks for your input, everyone. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users