Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows show new hard drive in Device Manager, but refuses to use it.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bubbaspiff

Bubbaspiff

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

I just recently purchased and installed a second 1TB WD Blue hard drive for my PC, and my computer seems to just ignore it. I have checked in device manager, ad my computer says it is there, but it doesn't use it for storage for some reason. I am kinda lost, as I have it installed properly. Anybody know how to help?

[SOLVED]

Edited by Bubbaspiff, 14 January 2018 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

Is the drive formatted?

Is the drive reflected in Disk Management?

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:36 PM

In Disk Management, be sure the drive is initiated. Also make sure the main partition on that drive is marked as Active.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

FWIW:  The only reason for making a partition active...is to install the O/S.  No other partition on a drive needs to be active...If no partition on a system contains an O/S...none of the partitions needs to be set active.

Since this is a secondary hard drive...there is no implication here for setting it to active status.

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Understood. But, believe it or not, I have had that experience several times.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Do WinKey+R and type DISKMGMT.MSC<enter> in the Run box that appears.  You should automatically be prompted to initialize the new drive and you need to say yes. Then, right-click on the new drive and choose New Simple Volume.  The wizard will walk you through creating a partition and formatting it so you can use it.

All new drives come out of the box completely blank so they can be used in a Windows, Linux, or Apple PC and you have to create a partition and format it before you can use it.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users