Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Send Document To Printer Using Homegroup?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 tomsbc

tomsbc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Hello  I have the canon MG2900 Printer shared in homegroup, after turning on the wifi on Printer, i realize I dont know how to send a document to the printer from an hp laptop! Any suggestions, Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

i am assuming the printer and laptop are both connected to the same wifi?

if so....you need to install the printer software/drivers on the laptop.....you should have an installation CD that came with the printer.....if you don't have it, you can download the install software at the cannon website

#3 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

I just tried to print out a document and it stated  "the RPC server is Unavailable. is this related to your reply? Thanks

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

i am assuming the printer and laptop are both connected to the same wifi?

if so....you need to install the printer software/drivers on the laptop.....you should have an installation CD that came with the printer.....if you don't have it, you can download the install software at the cannon website

What shows up in Devices & Printers?   Is the shared printer visible?

As Mikey11 has noted, you do need to install the printer driver software on any machine that will be sending material to a given model of printer.  I cannot find anything at Canon's website for a MG2900, but can for the MG2920.  The drivers page for that is:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg2920?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

I just tried to print out a document and it stated  "the RPC server is Unavailable. is this related to your reply? Thanks

go into the control panel > printers

delete all printers you see that are installed....then use the cannon software to install yours

#6 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

I already have the printer set up for my desktop, if I set it up to work on my laptop, will I lose the desktop install right?  if so  what good is wifi? I thought i could just use the home group and send it to the printer.  I never tried this before, not to knowledgeable on this subject, first time with a working good laptop. Please let me know and Thanks. 

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

The printer is it's own entity on the network, which is the point.

Each computer is communicating directly with the printer, though one could set up printer sharing if every computer is on the same network as the printer is on that makes no sense.  The printer driver is installed on each computer that wants to use that printer and the printer is set up as a network printer.  The printer, of course, has to be set up to be connected to the network either using one computer to use USB for the initial printer setup or doing the setup on the printer's controls.

Printer sharing is a thing more of the era when there was a non-WiFi printer, connected to a single computer on the network by wire, and you wanted to be able to have the computer it was connected to act as a printer server.  When you shared the printer the computer to which it was connected, and which was sharing it, was allowed to receive print requests over the network (whether wired or wireless) and carry them out.  With true wireless printers this is no longer necessary, as the printer itself handles all that on its own.

Edited by britechguy, 13 January 2018 - 10:17 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

ok i think i  got it, i will install the printer on the laptop. btw, why am i not getting emailed when a reply happens. did i forget to check something? Thank You 

#9 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

ok, installing disk, i now keep getting printer not found on network i have it turned on and is marked Shared in home group. what might i be doing wrong? Thanks

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

"Shared in the homegroup" is not the same as on the network.

Did you go through the setup to connect it to WiFi?   Take a look at the "Getting Started" guide for that printer.

What I am trying to tell you is that you will not be sharing the printer.  You don't have to share the printer.  If it is on the WiFi network it is available for any other computer on the same network to print to it so long as you've installed the device drivers (and, as part of that, the printer device itself) on each computer from which you intend to print to it.

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

is the blue WIFI light on your printer SOLID blue?.....or is it flashing?

#12 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

before i thought it was solid blue but i just turned it back on and its flashing blue

#13 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

before i thought it was solid blue but i just turned it back on and its flashing blue

that means its not connected to your WIFI.....it needs to be solid blue (connected)

you need to connect it to your WIFI.....THEN run the installation CD on the laptop

Edited by mikey11, 14 January 2018 - 03:44 PM.

#14 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

ok,  its now a solid blue and i installed the printer, it still states the "RPC IS UNAVAILABLE"  I went into services and the  RPC is on automatic and running. why is it unavailable, any ideas? Thanks

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

ok,  its now a solid blue and i installed the printer, it still states the "RPC IS UNAVAILABLE"  I went into services and the  RPC is on automatic and running. why is it unavailable, any ideas? Thanks

Just for curiosity's sake, and for some diagnostic data points, can your other computer print to the wireless printer correctly?

Also, it would really help if you could take a screen shot of the error message you're receiving and attach this to your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users