Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Package Temp Fluctuating Like Crazy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TikPandora

TikPandora

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hello everyone. I just got a new PC the other day, and today while messing around with HWMonitor I noticed something strange. As a very paranoid individual, I began to worry almost immediately about something being wrong either with a sensor or with my system itself.

Basically, the issue arises when looking at the "Package Temp" value. The CPU itself never reports above 35 degrees Celsius at idle (when I mean idle I mean while running Chrome with multiple tabs), but it seems to jump quite rapidly from around 21 to 35 with the cores reporting different temps and the package as a whole jumping around like mad.(This also applies and seems to correspond with the frequency.) The reading from my Gigabyte MOBO always is 40-41 degrees without the dramatic jumps of the FX readings.

Is this normal, or is something wrong with my processor/MOBO? The main concern I have is that it can jump up ten degrees and then back again within the course of a second. It makes me think something might be wrong. It even seems to do this in AMD Overdrive when looking at the distance to throttle temp.

AMD FX-6300 hexa-core at 3.5 GHz (No overclock)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Home
XFX AMD Radeon RX 560 (2GB) Graphics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

sounds normal to me...i wouldn't worry about it,

those temps are nice and low....nothing to worry about

#3 TikPandora

TikPandora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

Even with the fact that they jump up and down from second to second, sometimes by about 10 degrees?  I never noticed this on my Intel processors...

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Even with the fact that they jump up and down from second to second, sometimes by about 10 degrees?  I never noticed this on my Intel processors...

yes....some do that....its not uncommon

#5 TikPandora

TikPandora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Curious about if anyone has an explanation as to the reason for this rather odd behavior. It seems to change with the frequency of the cores and varies from core to core.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:02 AM

Basically I think this is power saving technologies at work.  These include C-states (various levels) and dynamic clock speed adjustment, amongst other things.  If they are all disabled and the CPU is run at full speed the whole time, it'll jump around less but the average temperature will be much higher, and it will draw a fair bit more power from the wall.

I'm most used to Intel's, but have recently got a Ryzen and notice the same general behaviour on both, but with some differences.  For example, my Core i5 (Haswell) also gets these rapid increases, and decreases in temperature, but it also changes speed a lot more.  Totally idle, I see 800 mhz as the reported clock speed, with it jumping up to 4.2 Ghz (overclocked single core turbo speed) on occasion, and the temp perhaps rising 10 degrees, before dropping again. If I looked into it further, there will probably be some background process has been using the CPU for that period.  There are many, many services, processes etc. running in the background on a typical Windows system, in addition to your actual applications.

On the Ryzen 1700X, I see a lot less speed variation (stock settings, it sits at 3.5 Ghz pretty much all the time) with occasional jumps up to 3.9 Ghz.  The Ryzen doesn't have individual temperature monitors on each core, as far as I can tell, but the package temperature seems to be pretty well correlated with reported core and package power consumption in HWMonitor.  The sudden temperature increases are always accompanied by an increase in load on some of the cores, and an increase in power consumption.  This will correspond with whatever is running at that particular time using the processor.

Anyway, like I said this seems to be normal if power saving technologies are enabled.  Nothing to worry about.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:49 AM

Yeah those temps are good, actually they are great for piledriver.

Piledriver was well known for its heat, great temps indeed :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 January 2018 - 05:50 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 gustden

gustden

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

Having similar issue with a FX-8320E.  The CPU  temperature jumps  +/-15C within seconds when cool.  The real strange part is it shows below room temperature part of the time!  It seems to be more accurate and stable once it heats up above 40C.

In windows, the fan is constantly speeding up and down ( from sounding like a hairdryer to silence every few seconds ) unless under a heavy load.   In progress of getting it replaced under warranty with AMD.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users