Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mp3 Player Firmware Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OntriTwyPlU

OntriTwyPlU

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

Hi.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me upgrade the firmware of an usb mp3 player.

It is described as GeneralPlus SD Device V2 USB Device, it fits an SD card into it and has missing functions, this is why i decided to create this thread.

I am unable to access folders or skip audio.

I did not got a response from the manufacturer, it did not come with an instructions manual and it does not have a firmware upgrade function.

I tried setting up an hyperterminal for this purpose but i can't get a COM port in my system to be recognized, I managed to acquire something that i believe to be the firmware upgrade files but they are in Visual Studio formats and do not know how to use them or compile some of them into executables, i also own a firmware upgrading .hex file that i might be able to send to the device, but i am unaware of any software to do this besides using an hyperterminal one.

It would be nice if someone could help me set up an usb COM port, tell me if i am able to compile Visual Studio files into executables, indicate me some firmware upgrading software or something that is able to send an .hex file to an usb device or just how to accomplish this task.

These are my machine's specifications:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 3
RAM: 4000 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 920M, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 371 GB (260 GB Free); D: 558 GB (306 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., X540LJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Manufacturer and model for the .mp3 player?

Louis

#3 OntriTwyPlU

OntriTwyPlU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

I am not sure but given that it is in it's description i suppose it is manufactured by GeneralPlus, it is a Digital Mp3 player as it says on it, Mp3 player DV R is also written in it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

Using Google...I don't see any documentation that I would rely on.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#5 OntriTwyPlU

OntriTwyPlU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

The device is FAT32 formatted and it does not show files on it anymore.

it would be nice to have the device using it's full capabilities and from what i could understand updating it's firmware would accomplish just this.

Thank you for your effort.

#6 OntriTwyPlU

OntriTwyPlU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Something happened with the device i was trying to accomplish this task on, i am now trying to do do it on a Actions HS USB Flash Disk USB Device, it is fitted with a 2Gb SD card, windows explorer informs me that either the device or the card is is FAT formatted, i would apprecciate if someone could tell in which format should i proceed to format the card. I am still interested in accomplishing this task, the devices are very similiar and i again state that i pocess something that i believe it would let me upgrade the devices firmware, i managed to convert a .src file into a .cpp with the intention of creating an .exe file for this purpose but i am getting an error in process of it's creation using Visual Studio Native Tools Command Prompt, error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int, this and C2143: syntax error: missing ';' before 'user-defined literal', C2059: syntax error:, error C2065: 'see': undeclared identifier, error C2086: 'int bias': redefinition / note: see declaration of 'bias, error C2143: syntax error: missing ';' before 'constant' and C1004: unexpected end-of-file found, it would be nice if someone could help me get past this errors so i can be able to compile an executable, i am unaware IF this will work or even if i'm trying the right way so i would also apprecciate if someone could help me with this.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

If you plug 'Actions HS USB Flash Disk USB Device' into Google you will find links and options to the manual, the software and the firmware. This may give you more specific and relevant advice and information than you may find here.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 OntriTwyPlU

OntriTwyPlU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:10 AM

Thank you for replying, i performed that research, i already own the firmware files i found and found no links or options to the manual, it allowed me to acquire two applications but neither detected the device.

I Would still apprecciate some advice on how to get this done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users