Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would just restoring game files work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shedopen123

shedopen123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

I recently just uninstalled a game.I have all of the files intact,and i was wondering if just placing all the files back would allow me to play again.It seems like a really stupid question,but i'd just like to know why not and if i could maybe do something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:25 AM

I think that depends on the game. Usually, for me anyway, reinstalling the game works. Unless you uninstalled the save game files. But I'm no expert in this, I'm going off of memory from old games, like Diablo 2... :blink:

Edited by Wildabeast, 14 January 2018 - 07:26 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Like mentioned above, it completely depends on the game. If it's save game files you're referring to then you should be fine. Most modern games allow you to shuffle around save game files without any issue. 

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#4 XboxUnity

XboxUnity

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:00 AM

Like mentioned twice above, it truly depends on the game. Save files usually work, but game files, it's not common. Games like TEAM FORTRESS 2 can even get you banned for messing with files.

#5 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

If it's steam then you could just move the files where you have set the game to install and then run "validate file integrity" it also works with battle.net.

Other then that, it's never 100 % sure that it's gonna work as intended, almost always better to just reinstall and then add back your save files (most new games store a copy of your save files in the cloud). (ex. I had to validate Overwatch twice after moving it from my SSD, seemed to miss a file or two after the first validation.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users