Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Router breaks internet connections within 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Banjojoe

Banjojoe

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Hello:

One week ago today I installed a new Cable Modem Router on my system.  Installation went fine.  Contacted my ISP with my Mac address etc. and everything went as planned.  Until I tried to use IPVanish, and I haven't drawn a sane breath since.   I've had IPV for almost a year now, and I won't say it is a marriage made in heaven, but it worked - and worked fine.  But with this new modem I can't stay on the internet for more than 5 minutes. I've run spyware programs, anti-virus software, even used the Tweaking software - but to no avail.  It is - I think - the router since my wife's Windows 8.1 computer, located in abother room' is doing the same thing.

I've contacted my ISP and they say everything looks fine on their end (Spectrum is my ISP) .  IPVanish gave me a list of thing to try with their settings, and I've tried them all, but both computers will get kicked off before long.  Can anyone tell me what settings in my router software I should check or uncheck to straighten out my problem.  I forgot to mention that I have Norton, and yes I turned it off briefly to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

Can anyone help me before I send it back.  Netgear 2700 v2 Nighthawk WiFi Cable Modem Router by the way, Netgear is no help.

Edited by Al1000, 13 January 2018 - 12:05 PM.
moved from Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Just noticed something that I should have added in my first post.  While staring at the taskbar - at the far end of the screen, I noticed it blinked - then a red X went across the internet icon - then it blinked again and the red X disappeared. So, it looks like something is trying to startup briefly, or the router is disconnecting and reconnecting, and this is what knocks me off the internet.  Anyone have any ideas?

Banjojoe

Edited by Banjojoe, 13 January 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

By pass the router by plugging the cable into you computer see if it blinks the X after a few minutes. Sometimes problems just happen to be incidental.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

Well, been doing a little investigating and have found the problem is not the:

a. electrical connection, b. ethernet connections c.anything that has to do with connections

Presently, I have disconnected from the internet via the cable that connects to the router, and believe it are not,  the icons are still blinking.  So, it's not the router, but possibly the router software or IPV software. I'll have to reingage the software of one or the other and see what happens.

If it happens to be the router software, is there such a thing as generic router/modem software?

Banjojoe

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

I did look into other software quite awhile back, there were options.  IMO go on the net gear blogs and the section here on net working to get some advice, like all this stuff compatibility can be an issue.  Hope you have some luck!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 13 January 2018 - 05:00 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users