Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2.5 year old Lenovo W550s is running very slow

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sarloos

Sarloos

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Hey,

I have a 2.5 year old Lenovo W550s ThinkPad that is running slower and slower. I used to be able to have at least 30 chrome windows, Photoshop and a bunch of Office documents running at ones smoothly (just as an example). Now with even a few chrome windows open almost everything is running slower and begins to lag. It probably started about a year ago and is getting progressively worse.

It seems that no matter what I do nothing changes. I’ve run various optimization programs (CCleaner, registry cleaners, junk removal tools and so on), checked for viruses (SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes) and stopped a lot of programs/processes from running (msconfig and task manager), with no results.

For a laptop that is relatively high end, it makes no sense as the component clearly support heavy use, as I’ve experienced before. One peculiar thing is that the cpu and memory rarely goes higher than 50%, as if it refuses to do any work, but I feel like it has always done this.

A little background:                                      
When I first bought the ThinkPad I had the same problem with it being slow, along with almost every other W550s user. Apparently, Lenovo had restricted the performance to be able to advertise a longer battery life. This would not have been a problem if changing the computer to high performance mode would revert it. However, as smart as they were, they had written it into the BIOS. I ended up installing a modified and user made BIOS, after seeing that it had worked for a lot of fellow W550s users in a forum. After installing the BIOS and following the creators suggested changes to various Windows setting, indeed the low performance subsided.

Sometime after Lenovo rolled out their own fix to the BIOS. After reviewing other users experience I installed it and fortunately everything was fine (this was about 1.5 years ago).

To me what I described above seems very similar to what is happening with my laptop now. However, I can’t find any other W550s users who are experiencing the same thing currently. This leads me to believe that it is not the same problem with the BIOS, as others should be experiencing it to. But I would almost hope I am wrong.

I’m feeling pretty lost, as I can’t think of anything else to try. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I’ve attached my system summery with a bunch of information. If you need any other information about anything, just say so.

Best regards.
Sarloos.

Ps. There might be a problem with the “post preview” button here on Bleeping Computer. After having written everything I clicked it where after it proceeded to replace all of my test with “<script> </script>”. I tried pressing “View Auto Saved Content” but it just reloaded the “<script> </script>” comment. After rewriting everything I tried it again and it now works. Anyways, just thought it was weird and just a little bit annoying…

<script> </script>

<script> </script>

<script> </script>

Attached Files

Edited by Sarloos, 13 January 2018 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users