Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At my wits end. Laptop taking 30 minutes to be fully booted and extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 damian5000

damian5000

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

The SSD went into a "Attempting to repair" boot loop (another story altogether), so I switched over to the backup HDD and it's taking massive amounts of time to do anything. We're not talking about a bogged down old laptop. This is relatively modern (5th gen i3 4GB RAM). Almost as if the drive is running in PIO mode. It takes 20 minutes for Task Manager to open and when it does we see relatively low usage (eg, CPU/RAM/Drive not maxed out or anywhere near it.). Strange with Drive usage says 70-90% whether running at .4MB/s or 25MB/s. Can't seem to get into Settings > Storage. Opening File Explorer takes AGES, if it opens at all.

There are no errors or anything coming up. The BIOS is in AHCI mode....I've moved the drive from the CD bay to the internal SATA slot and still same result.

What else can I try?

Edited by damian5000, 13 January 2018 - 12:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:32 AM

Buy a new SSD.

#3 damian5000

damian5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:33 AM

Buy a new SSD.

Right. This has nothing to do with SSD or not. There is something massively wrong here. It's been updating Windows and taking about half an hour for every 1% progress on the update (actually updating. The update is downloaded already). Any real suggestions appreciated.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

It could be a corrupted hibernation file Windows uses. Was Windows 10 a clean install on the HDD you swapped in?

see the post by Avinash Kumar Shudhanshu on using an Windows 10 install disk to disable hibernation. If there is still a slowdown then I would recommend a clean install. If there is still a slowdown then I would start looking at your temps.

Are you willing to do a clean install on the HDD? If so then see this post.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/?p=4419457

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Was the Backup Drive a Clone of the SSD ? and if so how was it done , maybe that drive HDD had errors ....who knows ?

Put the SSD back in and just try reinstalling Win 10 to that and see what happens.

#6 damian5000

damian5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:14 AM

EDIT:

Okay, so I've re-installed Windows on the SSD. Everything APPEARED fine, rebooted several times installed a bunch of apps. chkdsk returns no errors. LifeGuard shows all okay. I've run memtest and RAM no problems.

Yet, now getting SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION and PAGED FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA BSD on boot. FROM BOTH DRIVES. This would seem to indicate some other issue with the laptop? But if that's the case, why would the fresh install and several reboots work fine? I've disabled the Nvidia card just in case that had something to do with it. Safe Mode boots fine.

Edited by damian5000, 14 January 2018 - 04:29 AM.

#7 damian5000

damian5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:05 AM

Okay... I have figured out the issue with SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION and PAGED FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA... At least, I think I have. After connecting the keyboard and mouse, the problem went away. That's it. The clue was due to to the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION showing the error was in etd.sys, which is a touchpad system file. Didn't expect it to solve the problem, but it did. Bizarre that it rebooted several times fine without it connected. Anyways.

The initial slow system I assume due to the crappy clone job, as surmised by a couple of users in this thread.

Thanks for the help. Looks like all good for now.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Glad everything is working normally now.

You said the error went away after the keyboard and mouse were connected. Since this is a laptop I assume you mean an external keyboard with mouse. Are you saying attaching the keyboard and mouse is the only way to prevent the error? The laptop using it's own keyboard and trackpad always throws the error except when the OS was being installed? That is strange.

#9 damian5000

damian5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

Glad everything is working normally now.

You said the error went away after the keyboard and mouse were connected. Since this is a laptop I assume you mean an external keyboard with mouse. Are you saying attaching the keyboard and mouse is the only way to prevent the error? The laptop using it's own keyboard and trackpad always throws the error except when the OS was being installed? That is strange.

Sorry I wasn't more precise. It was the "built-in" keyboard/trackpad not being connected that was throwing the BSDs. Neither drive would boot, throwing various BSD. mainly "PAGE IN NONPAGED" and "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION". I spent at least several hours on it. As soon as I connected the stock keyboard/trackpad back both drives began booting without faul (other than slow HDD.)

I got the clue when I looked closer at the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION error and noticed "etd.sys" (a bizarrely small sub-note...Given the importance of the clue, you'd think it would be the first/most obvious line on the error page.)

I was almost ready to give up...Anyways, Googled it and saw it had to do with trackpad. I was actually shocked that it solved it because I'd been at this nonsense for like 20 hours over the last few days (though much of it due to me attempting to recover without losing the install.) What was even stranger, as mentioned, is that the system booted fine several times when the keyboard/trackpad WASN'T attached...But I'd been at it for hours prior to attaching, it was almost certainly the solution.

Of course, this doesn't solve the slow HDD, but almost surely is due to an amateur clone job. There's a joke in there somewhere.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. 

Edited by damian5000, 15 January 2018 - 12:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users