Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis True Image 2014 stuck in internal loop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dc2000

dc2000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:25 PM

I'm having a lot of trouble with Acronis True Image 2014. I set it up to do backups of my desktop but since about a week ago it started showing that the external backup disk is full. OK. So I went into settings to see why. (Obviously I thought that I set it up to delete old backups in the settings.)

Unfortunately the UI doesn't let me apply any changes. First off the process runs at high CPU utilization and then it just hangs up if I click Save, and I have to kill it with the Task Manager to make it stop. I recorded a GIF sequence to show what happens.

So my first step was to contact Acronis support. But they told me that they provide support only for the first 90 days since I purchased their product. So obviously that didn't work. (I'm not paying any more for their buggy product!)

I then posted this same question on their support forum. But that also didn't go anywhere. I got a very generic response and then got banned, evidently for criticizing their software. :)

So my question, does anyone know how to fix this? Or at least where does Acronis store its settings? I can modify it via Registry or a settings file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

Acronis Community Manager

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hi dc2000,

Thanks for your post.

I am Acronis Community Manager and will do my best in order to assist you with that.

I checked the gif and it appears the root cause of the problem is the scheme you choose for the backup.

In your backup scheme you have chose to "Create only incremental versions after the initial full version" and then attempting to setup Automatic Cleanup, while as per user guide automatic cleanup is not available when 'only incremental' scheme is selected.

It appears that you need to consolidate your backup versions and re-think your backup scheme based on user-guide details.

Also, please share the forum thread which you mentioned above as I would like to bring this to attention of our Forum team.

Edited by Bagaudin, 26 January 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#3 dc2000

dc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

Thanks, Bagaudin. I'll need to search for the thread to link it here. It's been awhile.

I'll be honest with you. I'm not sure that I want to dedicate more time to this issue. In all honesty the Acronis 2014 software is broken. At least my copy. The issue you're not seeing is the fact that the UI locks up in a flashing loop. (It shows at the end of the GIF I posted above.) Then the inordinate CPU usage. I have to kill the UI process every time just to stop it. I am a developer myself and I know that "it's not OK." As a last ditch effort I tried a few days back to delete that backup and then recreate it. The UI locked up again on "please wait, deleting backup" message. I waited for hours and then had to kill the process.

I'm now testing new backup software that actually works. I can't deal with your company that does not honor previous (paid) customers. All Acronis seems to be good for is spamming me to buy their new version. But how about honoring what I already paid for?

#4 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Hi Dc2000,

Is saddens me deeply to hear such a feedback and I would love to offer you a free upgrade to version 2018 and if any issue reproduces then we'll make sure it is investigated properly. If you're ok with that I will need to know your e-mail under which the 2014 version is registered (the e-mail associated with your Acronis website account).

I would also appreciate if you could dig the thread and case number (of your support contact) - I really want to conduct an analysis of whole interaction as it is my (and company's) goal to ensure our customers complete satisfaction.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

I have Acronis 2010 and its OK , never had an issue , but i do full Images and all Manually.

Any time you rely on schedules / full or Incremental ...things can go wrong at some time or stage.

The Images you had should of been ok , so why not reinstall Acronis and start from there again. 

Boot Disc / Recover Image / Incrementals....etc.

I  also use Macrium with no issues , but Acronis seems to have more features that i require eg: swapping out Mobo`s / adding new drives / drivers and just works when working with existing Images.

We all have our own preferences , likes / dislikes in the end its what you like and works for you.

I`d take the free upgrade offer of the 2018 version and see what happens { If he`s actually from Acronis ? } who knows.

#6 dc2000

dc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:57 AM

@Havachat: Pretty much every version (year) of Acronis uses some new UI. For instance, my version Acronis 2014 uses Qt (for cross platform compatibility) which is somewhat buggy in my own use/testing, but I've seen their latest UI looking totally different. (That is one way to make you buy new versions -- make UI look new.)

What pissed me off the most is that my support request was denied after my license was older than 90 days. Seriously, 90 days?!

I'm currently testing AOMEI Backupper that has a free and paid versions. I don't mind a paid version as long as it works and doesn't bog down my system & most importantly is reliable! (I.e. I can trust it.)

@Bagaudin: I've tried to dig through my inbox but as you can see it's been a while since I purchased it in 2014. I found the email with the purchase, it says, "Date: 4/11/2014  Reference number: 58081024 " but not my support ticket. (If my memory serves me correctly I tried to open a ticket but the automated system told me that it's been more than 90 days and directed me to the public forum.) After that I tried without any luck to post questions there. Here's the links that I found with my questions about the same issue (some GIFs don't play anymore in those posts, but it's basically the same thing as my question here):

Sep-2014:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-home-forum-older-versions/acronis-true-image-home-process-eats-cpu

Jan-2015:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-home-forum-older-versions/acronis-true-image-process-constant-high-cpu-usage-any-idea-how-fix

Mar-2015:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-home-forum-older-versions/acronis-true-image-home-2014-refuses-close-eats

As you see I got nowhere.

As for the free upgrade, I'll be honest with you, I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to gamble with my backups. I'm now looking for a reliable solution. If you want me to provide additional details on this 2014 version, maybe diagnostic logs, etc. I can do so if it helps your developers. I just don't want to post my email address in the open here. If you have a Twitter account I can DM you there?

#7 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for your reply dc2000!

No need to share your e-mail, I was able to identify your account based on reference number, though since you're not willing to upgrade it is not of much use now.

Unfortunately our development team will not be able to investigate the issue with version 2014 as the product has reached EOL longtime ago.

There were also changes made to support policy which, along with above mentioned product lifecycles determine all the support options available.

I also shared the forum links with Forum team but I am sure situations like this aren't going to happen in future due to fact that our Forum team now has stellar forum manager along with many MVPs helping in forum.

Edited by Bagaudin, 28 January 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#8 dc2000

dc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

@Bagaudin: Yes, I'm sure your company will provide a "stellar" customer service now on. I have no doubts about it. It's just old flaky me with my weird problems.

BTW, just from curiosity, Acronis is a Russian company, isn't it?

#9 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

@Bagaudin: Yes, I'm sure your company will provide a "stellar" customer service now on. I have no doubts about it. It's just old flaky me with my weird problems.

BTW, just from curiosity, Acronis is a Russian company, isn't it?

Hi dc2000, 

Pardon me as I apparently missed your reply :(

We are a Swiss-Singaporean company.

My free upgrade offer is still valid, so if you'd like to give it a chance - let me know.

#10 dc2000

dc2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

Hi dc2000, 

Pardon me as I apparently missed your reply :(

We are a Swiss-Singaporean company.

My free upgrade offer is still valid, so if you'd like to give it a chance - let me know.

Haha. Thanks for the follow-up. 4 months later ... but still a follow-up :)

I want to start off by saying that I appreciate your commitment to provide a fix for the issue that I reported. I wish everyone at Acronis was like you. Unfortunately that is not the case. I had a very bad experience dealing with that company. Just the fact of providing only a 90-day window to fix software bugs is utterly ridiculous!

So thanks, but I have to turn down your offer. It's funny actually that you brought this up now. I just ordered a Synology box, that I am hoping to use for the purpose of doing local backups. I am then planning to sign up with either Amazon S3 or Backblaze B2 service for offsite backups, all provided by the Synology hardware. All in all it cost me around $800 just to get that hardware, plus additional $10-$20 monthly. I'm saying all this just to show how much of a pain-in-the-a** my current backup solution (implemented via Acronis True Image 2014) has become and how much I am willing to pay to REPLACE IT!

(Btw, just by looking at the external disk usage, it looks like it stopped doing backups on one of my disks at around Feb. of this year. So I'm trying not to touch it in fear that it will mess something up. I see that Synology box will arrive next Monday. That is when I will rip out ATI 2014 from my system.)

So yeah, sorry for being too harsh. You may want to pass this to whoever does marketing and customer relations in your "Swiss" company. :) 

BTW, just quoting Wikipedia, I don't think the following names of founders sound so much "Swiss or Singaporean":

Serguei Beloussov, Max Tsypliaev, Ilya Zubarev, Stanislav Protassov

I'm sure the company is desperately trying to distance itself from Russia, following the recent Kaspersky "bad luck."

#11 Bagaudin

Bagaudin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

BTW, just quoting Wikipedia, I don't think the following names of founders sound so much "Swiss or Singaporean":

Does Igor Sikorsky sound so much American to you? That's just for starters :) Feel free to do your own further research, may be continue further with one of the two co-founders of worldwide Internet giant?

Other than that - I will forward your feedback to ATI PM team. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users