Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound cuts out completely during You Tube or Minecraft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frab49

frab49

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hi, Can you please assist?

I have an MSI CR640 running Windows 10, and ever since one of the Windows updates a few months ago the sound randomly cuts out completely whilst playing Minecraft or watching a YouTube video.

This happens at random points. It can be after 5 minutes or over an hour, and only shutting down and restarting can get the sound back.

Troubleshooter does not find any issues with the sound and in device manager the speakers show a Microsoft driver dated 28th September 2017.

I believe it was previously a Conexant Audio driver, and I went to the MSI website to try and reinstall this driver for my computer but it would not load.

The only drivers on the MSI site available are for Windows 7.

Do you have any suggestions of how to fix this please?

Many Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

Wait until the sound cuts out, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with one of these free utilities: 
SpeedFan:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
HWMonitor:  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
HWInfo:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 frab49

frab49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Please find the attachments enclosed.
My computer is a laptop - MSI CR640
It was pre-installed with windows 7 but now runs windows 10 64 bit.
The installed memory is 6GB (It states 3GB usable)

Over the last 3 days I have coincidentally had three instances of BSOD, so hopefully these should appear in the report.
I hope this is ok.

Thanks again.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

Nothing significant in the Admin logfile that I can see.

Only 1 dump uploaded - and it's empty (no contents to the file will display in the debugger).

Other reports show a STOP 0x1A and a STOP 0xDE BSOD error.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version E16Y1IMS.300) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

I am very concerned about the compatibility of this BIOS version with later versions of Windows (W8/10).   Unfortunately, the only way to test this is to install the original version of Windows that this system was originally designed for.  On a positive note, if the system manufacturer offers W10 support for this device - then compatibility issues become less of a concern.  If they don't offer W10 support, then the concern about compatibility remains high.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Have you recently reinstalled Windows (within the last month)?  The systeminfo.txt file shows that the latest installation was in mid December of 2017.

Please describe what sort of installation you did at that time.

What is your Q: drive?  There's no info on it in the DXDiag report or the MSINFO32 report - other than the fact that it exists.

Beyond that, there's not much evidence of a software issue.  As such, I suggest that you start with these free hardware diagnostics:

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
FYI - These are the tests and what we usually see for the reports:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
  - A - simtek.org memtest
  - B - Video memory stress test
  - C - Artifact Locator
  - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
  - E - Video Memory Stress Test
7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 frab49

frab49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Apologies for my late reply and thank you for your comprehensive reply.

BSOD seems to be a regular occurrence now ever since the latest Windows updates last week.

The last BSOD stated Stop Code - Memory Management.

I have contacted my laptop manufacturer - MSI - and they have advised that there is no update for my BIOS and that my laptop is not compatible with Windows 10 due to the age of the machine. I therefore cannot expect any support in relation to BIOS/driver updates.

It looks like your concern about the compatibility of this BIOS version with later versions of Windows may be valid, and I am wondering if rolling back to Windows 7 would help to fix the issues.

Have you found this to be the case previously, and would I expect any issues if I tried to roll back?

I may run the above tests anyway at the end of this week to see the results and will advise.

Thanks again.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

From another post that I just finished:

Unfortunately, compatibility issues start like this - but after you spend weeks and weeks troubleshooting them, they're still not fixed.

A short story......

Back when Vista first came out I purchased a new, top of the line Lenovo t60p laptop.  It had everything on it and I was the envy of all the other geeks.
It upgraded to Windows 7 seamlessly and worked OK for several years.
Then Windows 8 came out and I upgraded to that without any problems.

But after a while strange, unfixable errors started to crop up.  Nothing real serious, but enough so that I had to take pains to save my work every couple of minutes so that I didn't lose it.

Being a troubleshooter at heart, I started looking for causes - and found none.
Even tried reinstalling Windows 8 - without any luck.

I enlisted the help of all my friends on the forums - without any luck.
Then I took it to the Microsoft MVP Summit at Microsoft - where I had other MVP's look at it, and even had some Microsoft Windows people look at it.

And in the end we all came to the same conclusion - it just wasn't compatible w/Windows 8.

Shortly after that one of our friends needed a new computer for their daughter - so I installed Windows 7 on it and let them have it (explained the issues that it had w/W8 and that we hoped there wouldn't be problems w/W7).

That was about 5 years ago and that system is still running without problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users