Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You Can Still Upgrade To W10 For Free

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Update....You can still upgrade to Win 10 for free. In spite of Microsoft shutting down their free upgrade via their Assistive Tech procedure at end of December 2017.

Read article [11 Jan] here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/can-still-upgrade-windows-10-free/

Of course, you'll still need a valid win7 or 8 key.

Edited by saw101, 13 January 2018 - 03:03 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:46 AM

Sure Can - I still had a USB with WIN 10 from the Media Creation Tool Download , and today on my spare Laptop { Lent it Out } decided to load it from USB with a new Samsung SSD 250G .

Swapped out the Drives { Platter to SSD } inserted USB , Booted , no Bios Changes and installed WIN10 Home.

Took 1hr 10Min total ,  install , Updates , Configure.

Now to just test it out and work my way around it , all working fine and no driver issues , seems ok......time will tell.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3uwQrV7OCHLjFjQZYPNYcli

Edited by Havachat, 13 January 2018 - 06:31 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Till 1-16-18

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Is that true?  No longer possible after 1-16-18?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,672 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Is that true?  No longer possible after 1-16-18?

It was as of a couple of days ago.  That being said, MS seems to keep kicking the drop-dead-date can down the road each time the date arrives.

I'm waiting for someone to report trying a Windows 10 upgrade from Win7/8/8.1 failing with a clear message that the upgrade period is over.  That will tell me that the free upgrade offer is, indeed, over.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 saw101

saw101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

Well, I've a family member with a Win7 laptop that wants 10. Looks like I'll be trying the upgrade sometime in the next few days, obviously past the 16 Jan date. If it fails, a well needed fresh install of Win7 will be done instead. Britechguy, I'll post back with the results, unless someone else is able to confirm sooner, NOT using the Assisted Tech method, but simply a clean install over 7 or 8 computer.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#7 Austin_l

Austin_l

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:14 AM

How can we do that? There is a watermark on my screen

#8 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

My situation is similar.  An office colleague has an HP laptop (no more than a couple of years old) with factory installed Win 7.  She wants to upgrade to Win 10.  We are utterly swamped with other stuff so it will be at least a few days before either of us will have time to try this out.

Question arising, what happens if we try this and it doesn't work?  

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

You need to create a complete disk image of the HP to a USB external drive with any of the free imaging programs or paid if you have it. Create the bootable disk or USB each allows you to make. Make sure it boots on the computer and detects all your drives including the external when booted.

Doing the above you can revert to Windows 7 if the Windows 10 install goes south and cannot be activated.

#10 macuser

macuser

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

your post says I can get if for free still but that is not what the article is saying. looks like I missed the date. again.

Edited by macuser, 17 January 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#11 saw101

saw101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

My situation is similar.  An office colleague has an HP laptop (no more than a couple of years old) with factory installed Win 7.  She wants to upgrade to Win 10.

Well I'm not an expert in the following not having had to deal with any, but many computers sold in the recent past have/came with Microsoft Downgrade Rights. Often customers were not ready, for any number of reasons, to jump to Win10 & would elect to have the computer come from manufacturer with 7 or 8 instead. Your colleague's computer could be one of those. It's my understanding that those downgraded computers still maintain the right to return to W10 at any time.

Not sure here either, but the recovery partition for downgraded computers, may be Win10. Also check if any Discs were provided with the computer for Win10. If it's a downgraded unit, the Win10 Recovery Disc should also be available from HP, but I'd opt for a clean install with a MS Win10 disc instead avoiding HP bloatware. 

So, If the laptop is only a couple of years old, confirm if it was downgraded. Check with HP or perhaps HP provided documentation.

Related: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Upgrading-To-Windows-10-On-A-System-With-Downgrade-Rights/td-p/6406379

Edited by saw101, 17 January 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#12 saw101

saw101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

your post says I can get if for free still but that is not what the article is saying. looks like I missed the date. again.

The article cited has been updated since my original posting date of 12 Jan.

The update now added states: "Update 1/16/2018: Back in 2017, Microsoft allowed users to upgrade to Windows 10 using their Windows 7 and Windows 8 product keys, but starting January 16, 2018, this method no longer works. Every loophole for freely upgrading to Windows 10 is now expired and unusable."

It also has provided an answer for my post #6. Looks like a fresh install of Win7 for my family member.  

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

Update on WIN 10 still Works:

I have an old Dell Studio 1555 Laptop 9 yrs old { Cracked Screen - But Works } so being bored on the weekend decided to install Win10 from the USB i had created earlier 2 mths ago.

It had Win7 , but wouldnt boot into that so tried WIn10 from USB and seemed ok 100% install but wanted to do the Setup again after it rebooted { Like a Loop } so after that fail i swapped out the Drive for another 500G thinking it may be the Drive.

Anyhow Started over again Deleted all Partitons / Select Partiton / clicked Install and after that it did the same reboot and looping back to the Setup Page after installing 100% , wierd so i pulled the USB and rebooted and it went straight to setting up your PC ....waited 5 min followed Cortana blah blah , and the rest went fine.

So im assuming you can still install Win10 , well i have , so i,ll do the other 3 Old Lappys i have and see what eventuates.

Edited by Havachat, 10 March 2018 - 06:56 AM.

#14 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

I have an old Dell Studio 1555 Laptop 9 yrs old { Cracked Screen - But Works } so being bored on the weekend decided to install Win10 from the USB i had created earlier 2 mths ago.

It had Win7 , but wouldnt boot into that so tried WIn10 from USB and seemed ok 100% install but wanted to do the Setup again after it rebooted { Like a Loop } so after that fail i swapped out the Drive for another 500G thinking it may be the Drive.

Anyhow Started over again Deleted all Partitons / Select Partiton / clicked Install and after that it did the same reboot and looping back to the Setup Page after installing 100% , wierd so i pulled the USB and rebooted and it went straight to setting up your PC ....waited 5 min followed Cortana blah blah , and the rest went fine.

So im assuming you can still install Win10 , well i have , so i,ll do the other 3 Old Lappys i have and see what eventuates.

As you found out, it will keep booting from the USB and trying the install until you either switch the boot sequence in the bios or, unplug the USB.

7581204627.png

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

The question isn't, "Will it install?," as it definitely will.  The question is, "Did it activate?"   Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation Pane

If it hasn't activated you're on a trial period and Windows 10 will stop working if you can't supply a purchased license key when that period reaches its end (it was 30 days, but that could have changed).

And to repeat the sage observation of xrobwx:  If you install by switching the boot sequence to use the USB drive first on a machine that has no OS after the install is complete you either need to pull the USB drive just as the reboot sequence starts or get into UEFI during that reboot sequence to set the boot order back to HDD/SSD being first in the order, or you'll "install loop."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users