Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Market Share

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Kin_El

Kin_El

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Mod edit ~Al1000: Discussion regarding market share split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601504/which-distro-is-right-for-me-redux/?p=4410620

I using Ubuntu is the best distro to start beginners (More support for newbies)....

If the criteria of support were the only factor then I would recommend all beginners to start with Linux Mint. I believe that there are a lot of factors for a beginner to consider, so Ubuntu is really a nice place to start, but definitely not because of the support factor.

Today, Linux Mint is the 4th most used desktop OS in the World, ranked only behind Ubuntu in the Linux distros, Apple's iOS (all versions) & Windows (all versions). Huh ?

Check out any of the multiple sources on the net and you'll find that the most optimistic place Linux occupies around 2.5% market share at best.

Edited by Al1000, 12 January 2018 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:54 AM

That optimistic 2.5% depends on who is doing the counting & when. :)

Of course, 2.5% is still by all means, far better over when I began running Linux over 9 years ago (late 2008). As to the numbers, these are often fudged, most Linux users could care less about market share, as long as we know we're a growing group. Part of the proof is the sheer number of Linux based material or instructions on the Internet compared to 9 years back, when these were rare & often didn't address what the masses needed, usually power users. 

About fudged numbers, Apple, Google & Microsoft keeps up with these counters, especially the latter, all that have to do in instruct all resellers to have every demo computer connected to the Internet with screen saver lock. Of course this costs, yet am sure that the retailers gets something for their efforts, be it some free product (extra computers) or other means of a kickback. Once all of these computers stays connected, the stat counters cannot tell the difference between those on demo & in actual use, so Microsoft can gain an additional 0.5-1% from that alone. Stat counters, while not totally useless, on the other hand, aren't an exact science. It's simply a calculated guess. 

At the same time, most Linux users doesn't keep up with this & if so, most won't have their computers running just to be a part of these counters, home users has no incentive to keep ours running 24/7. If by rare chance, most were connected during a count, usage would show a lot higher. Some counts has shown Linux to be over 3% in 2017. 

More proof that Linux is growing are the number of what was once primarily Windows tech forums now has a Linux section. While not as active as the latter, still every new member counts, many are new to Linux & needs to learn. Many also realizes that the clock is ticking down on the EOL date of Windows 7 (Microsoft will likely, as with XP, host a 'Windows 7 Countdown' to lure folks to 'get up to date'. Many of who has declined W10 when offered, stating a loud NO to their efforts, some going as far as altering the registry to disable OS upgrades & disabling Telemetry at the same time. 

Finally, while no OS is bulletproof (look at the recent dual threat Intel scandal that affects all OS's), more users are aware that Malware & Ransomware are real threats & here to stay. Take a peek at those in the 'Am I Infected' line, and at best, maybe a couple of Linux users are there, usually a false alarm. While infections can travel through a Linux computer & possibly be passed onto others, particularly on the same network, the chances of actual infection are slim. 

Given all of the above, I feel that Linux usage is higher than 2.5%, there's lots of reasons to believe this number is on the conservative side. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Kin_El

Kin_El
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

I'm in total agreement with everything you say and clearly I misread you as you were only talking about Linux and not desktop OS's in general so my bad.

I understand that counters are only an very rough indicator but I'm sure they must be working with some sort of averaging algorithm.

I read somewhere that Windows 10 (and perhaps other MS OS's too) is counted in the stats if it's detected just once in any given month which if true would further underline what an unmitigated disaster it is and one which might have totally tanked if it had not been force fed to an almost completely captive and unwilling audience !

A couple of years on it seems to me to have become a bit of a cult not unlike Apple where a small minority of diehard fanboys will not hear a word uttered against it whilst the silent majority rue the day they ever installed it and given the opportunity would switch back to Windows 8.1 or even 7 in a heartbeat.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Kin_El said...

I read somewhere that Windows 10 (and perhaps other MS OS's too) is counted in the stats if it's detected just once in any given month which if true would further underline what an unmitigated disaster it is and one which might have totally tanked if it had not been force fed to an almost completely captive and unwilling audience !

A couple of years on it seems to me to have become a bit of a cult not unlike Apple where a small minority of diehard fanboys will not hear a word uttered against it whilst the silent majority rue the day they ever installed it and given the opportunity would switch back to Windows 8.1 or even 7 in a heartbeat.""

+1 .... :thumbup2: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :cool:

(....in other words, I agree )

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

The other thing in favor of Linux, are newer computers & these recent releases of W10. 

Many has to basically reconfigure everything for the hardware to work, that's a lot of work. Especially fingerprint readers & other features that's native to the computer, the OEM's rarely provides assistance, being that a certain OS was on the purchased computer, Unfortunately, there's many computers, both notebooks & PC's, that ships with an older version of W10, then upgrades & all is thrown out of whack. 

That's a big problem with making W10 the equivalent of Debian, both are rolling release OS's, only Debian gets it right. :)

If one has to relearn how to use their computer after a new update to W10, typically twice per year, may as well learn Linux instead. At least one will know how to configure things after an newer LTS release, Linux is far more predictable over W10 in that regard. 

As to which Linux distro one should run, that part is up to the user, although distros such as Linux Mint makes for an easy transition. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Kin_El said...

A couple of years on it seems to me to have become a bit of a cult not unlike Apple where a small minority of diehard fanboys will not hear a word uttered against it whilst the silent majority rue the day they ever installed it and given the opportunity would switch back to Windows 8.1 or even 7 in a heartbeat.""

+1 .... :thumbup2: :bowdown: :thumbsup: :cool:

(....in other words, I agree )

+1! :thumbsup:

I've kind of noticed that myself, some of today's W10 users are a lot like the Apple cult of when the late, great Steve Jobs was the leader. No matter how severe the weather, many of his following would be waiting in line up to 24 hours to purchase their limit of two whatever new devices released. Even though the same could had pre-ordered & received on the very same day, it wasn't about that. Rather part of the culture that Jobs created that's now been watered down because Tim Cook cannot wear his jockstrap, let alone fire up a crowd as intensely. Apple's bread & butter are now app sales, no longer hardware alone (even smartphones), they have a dynamic team (not Cook alone) that can adjust on the fly, shifting in which direction needed to keep the corporation profitable. 

We need someone with the mindset of Steve Jobs at the Linux helm, although was unique & there'll never be another like him, I'd take 75% closer to his way of doing things. Someone like Jobs would unite Linux users rather than having 500+ distros, urge them to spread the word & things would simply happen. Growth world skyrocket, as Windows 7 & 8.1 users would be targeted to join the Linux ranks. 

While I don't know when, or if someone will step up to the plate & take over, Linux users could use someone with that 'cult' mindset to step in & lead the way. This is a real chance to break Microsoft down while they're evenly split (W7 & 8.1 users versus W10 ones) & maybe the last best opportunity to do so. While it's true that there's been Linux leaders closely working with Microsoft, this partnership benefits the latter rather than Linux users. They get everything, we get the crumbs thrown at our feet, an app such as Skype for Linux in return. 

Hopefully that someone will come sooner rather than later, there's a lot at stake. :)

Cat

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Check out any of the multiple sources on the net and you'll find that the most optimistic place Linux occupies around 2.5% market share at best.

When people say Linux they mean a Distro like Ubuntu or mint that runs your PC.

Did you know smartphones, cars, supercomputers and home appliances use Linux?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 821 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:10 AM

Yes, as Nick says, although Linux' share of the desktop and laptop market is low, the Linux kernel is ubiquitous, and incorporated into just about anything that connects to the net.

That's not to say that there's not a whole lot of proprietary code included in all these devices, but essentially they're all "wrapped around" a Linux kernel, so you could say, that actually Linux is the most prevalent OS there is.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:43 AM

When people say Linux they mean a Distro like Ubuntu or mint that runs your PC.

Did you know smartphones, cars, supercomputers and home appliances use Linux?

Anyone who has a smart TV has Linux installed, many of these also includes a Web browser to use if needed, although I don't bother with this, because doesn't get updated often. Both smartphones & TV's spys on it's users more so than a computer does by a longshot. This is one reason why I don't care for a smartphone, although to monitor particular areas in my home more effectively, will need one to make the 'smart cams' activate & do it's job. This is how some folks keeps an eye on their nannies in order to protect their children. These cameras are also Linux powered. 

I've stated this many times & will again, Linux powers the World! :thumbsup:

All of the World's top 50 supercomputers are running Linux and aren't for showboating, rather doing lots of work that somehow affects our daily lives, running utilities such as landline & cellular phone systems, electricity, water/sewer & even the ISP we're chosen. Most routers are Linux powered, even though the software in most all of these devices are proprietary as Gary R noted above. :)

The reason why most Linux powered computers aren't running proprietary software is because we don't have a license to do so, nor are there installers for many choices. We've just recently received a decent working Skype for Linux, at one time was very flaky (at best) to use. There are likely other choices, it's just that Skype stands out due to popularity, w/out it, many wouldn't run Linux because we can't stay connected with others. Now, that's one less excuse not to run Linux. :thumbup2:

Cat

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

When you consider all devices connected to the Internet Android is top dog.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Yes when you consider all the devices running Linux on the net, It makes Windows look like the small time second rate insecure operating system that it is.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

Yes when you consider all the devices running Linux on the net, It makes Windows look like the small time second rate insecure operating system that it is.

+1! :thumbup2:

Windows is indeed becoming a 2nd rate OS. It's a crying shame to purchase a new device, get two upgrades per year and nothing works like it's supposed to out of the box any longer. :(

W10 is a very poor Debian copycat, the exact opposite of what a rolling OS should accomplish. One can install most any LTS based Linux distro & other than updates/backup, forget it for another 5 years. :)

Cat

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Windows is indeed becoming a 2nd rate OS. It's a crying shame to purchase a new device, get two upgrades per year and nothing works like it's supposed to out of the box any longer. :(

Cat

O-boy, I hope the Windoz guys on the other side of the Forums don't see this LOL, jab jab jab to them lol.  They don't seem to like the truth very well over there lol, friendly jab :)

Going Two years strong now with Linux Mint KDE and not much problems I haven't caused myself.  Beat this thing up like you cannot believe, installing packages and testing them to help out others with questions.  I can't count the amount of Printer software I have on this thing lol.  Any printer I get a chance to Install and connect to I do, and have software to many printers I've never connected to also LOL, good stuff.  All this on an 11yr old machine, still chugging along like a champ with the original HDD etc.  I still use it to backup all my data also, using Grsync.

I had multiple distros on here for a while and now back to the one staple that is kinda like Windows 10 but better! Mint's KDE

Edited by pcpunk, 22 January 2018 - 10:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:46 AM

Cat

O-boy, I hope the Windoz guys on the other side of the Forums don't see this LOL, jab jab jab to them lol.  They don't seem to like the truth very well over there lol, friendly jab :)

pcpunk, that's why I stated so over on this side, few diehard Windows users comes to this side of of the site, wouldn't had said the same over there, no more than I'd knock Linux openly over here. Although don't have to, am sure that some fed up W10 users are saying worse on that side. :P

Yet really am repeating the truth (someone else said it prior). One purchases up to a $2,700 loaded ultrabook or hardcore gaming Windows notebook with all of the goodies ($3,000-5,000) with the Creator's Update from the Spring of 2017, then upgrades to the next in the Fall of the same year, there's a very high probability that something (usually more than one item) will be broken. On older devices, like my Optiplex 780 MT w/out a lot of advanced features, I figured out the issue after a lot of BSOD's & clean install did the same......a bad Ethernet driver installed by Microsoft during the upgrade. Found with a BSOD dump file tool. Opened Device Manger, clicked to Update the 2017 driver, rolled back to the Windows 7 (2012) one & all was fine. 

It's not quite that simple on an advanced computer loaded with specialized features to include security ones such as a fingerprint reader & various sensors. Sometimes there's OEM published workarounds to fix some of the issues, more often, have to set the connection as metered, this stops a large upgrade from downloading until there's any. One must do this on every network connected to in order to prevent accidental download of the latest version (1709). Unlike those with a Pro license with the option to defer a new release for a year, the ones with Home versions must resort to this trick, there's no other way around it. No registry edits, no changing things in Group Policy to defer upgrades, these has been effectively neutered. :(

Fortunately, us Linux users need not worry with these things, many of us has a Panel icon that's a gentle reminder of updates, and must manually click onto a seperate tab in order to upgrade to the next point release, say from Linux Mint 18.(any version) to 18.3. :)

And the situation will be getting worse as Windows 10 S will be pushed more & more on promo, there's even less control on these machines, every 3rd party app must come from the Windows Store. This means no third party security, Windows Defender it is, same with browser, it's Microsoft Edge, like it or not. For now. Microsoft is easing into this, before all is said & done, higher percentages of these computers will have to be shipped by large OEM's, or pay more for their bulk Windows licenses that'll tack on up to another $50 per unit to make up the difference. That's the bad thing, the OEM's are caught in the middle of a power struggle, it's going to get a lot worse with the next-gen UEFI rollout come 2020. This will also have an effect on those wanting to convert these into Linux computers, the distros will have to pay for their key more often & won't be able to inherit these from Ubuntu, Arch & other major Linux ones. Every distro will have to cough up the cash for their own key to install on these machines. Plus these computers will be locked down harder than ever, Secure Boot will become mandatory, not an option to flip on or off as desired. 

A combination of these factors will make more want Linux on well maintained business machines, the ones available on eBay now for $89-149, only will be the late-gen BIOS computers by then at higher pricing. Why? Because resellers knows what's going on and can charge what they please for computers still in mint to excellent condition, even those classified as 'B' grade will be a little more costly than today. Glad that I could scoop up a few when were available at great pricing, Linux installs easily onto these & most everything works fine & due to ever tightening policies by Microsoft, many Windows users will be happy to convert, furthermore, these same new Linux users will know to take care of these & stockpile extras when deals comes along. :)

Make no mistake about it, Linux market share will begin to go on an upwards path like we've never seen when both Windows 7 & 8.1 reaches EOL & stricter UEFI mandates rolls out. :thumbsup:

We'll have to do our part in welcoming these new Linux users, providing any and all support needed in the transition, some will have to be treated with kid gloves (babied through the process). There are many of today's Linux users who took more time to adjust than others, everyone is different and have varying self-learning skills. Hopefully we'll have more seasoned Linux veterans as members here by then and can handle the load to the utmost of our ability, we must make these members feel at home as well. Otherwise, some will move on to a site where they'll have that feeling. While we do have quality help here that meets the need for today, things can become entirely different in a couple or three years time & must be prepared, no matter what it takes. Should that become traveling to dedicated Linux sites & seeking out non-aggressive members to invite here, so be it. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 January 2018 - 05:49 AM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,787 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

I drift in and out of this forum on the site.

Nothing's been said that hasn't been said a million times before and to those who say it it's 100% legitimate and for the rest of us, not so.

You also seldom, if ever, see Linux being "run down" on Windows forums.  In fact, quite the opposite.  But the "Linux is the ONLY OS to HAVE and is PERFECT!!" crowd gets all the derision it deserves.  Not unlike Windows fanboys and fangirls do, even on Windows forums.

There is no such thing as "the perfect OS" because so many competing wants and needs go in to the creation and maintenance of any of them.  Anyone who doesn't see the many flavors of Linux as an attempt to make "the perfect Linux" for some specific group of users who have specific needs (some more specific than others) is in a state of denial.  In it's own way, the endless spin-offs of Linux remind me in ways of the Protestant Reformation and the acolytes of each have the same religious zeal.  There's a lot more zeal, in general, in the Linux community than you find elsewhere.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users