My laptop has been shutting down on its own lately. To describe what happens it's like when you unplug the power with the battery not inserted. There are no clear signs as to when it's gonna happen. Sometimes it happens when it's in idle, sometimes when I'm watching a video, or browsing the net, and so on. I keep my laptop almost 24/7 on if that has something to do with anything.
My laptop is at least 6-7 years old and has been working perfectly until recently. I've done a few troubleshooting so let me first share some of my thoughts:
- it's not a driver or Windows software issue causing the shutdown since I haven't updated anything since I bought this laptop. The only software I install are games and some programming software that's been with me for years as well. So unless I've been lucky for it to not shutdown on me up until recently then I don't think this is the issue. Yes I know the pros-and-cons of updating but I really didn't feel the need to update as long as everything works, and to be honest I've had more bad experiences than good when I do update my different machines.
- it's not a heat problem because I clean the fan, vent, et.al. also replaced the thermal paste a few months back and lubricated the cooling fan. Get steady 50-60°C even during the moment of shutdown.
- maybe it's a HDD problem(?). I ran it through some tests already and it passed though with 1 or 2 bad sectors. Ran chkdsk and system startup error checking already.
- it's not a virus, malware, spyware issue.
- It happens when plugged in, happens when running on battery and happens when plugged in with removed battery.
The logs also wasn't that helpful for all it tells me is kernel power failure system shutdown unexpectedly.
Any ideas on why this is happening and suggestions on how to fix it?