Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Sudden Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RezaMilford

RezaMilford

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

My laptop has been shutting down on its own lately. To describe what happens it's like when you unplug the power with the battery not inserted. There are no clear signs as to when it's gonna happen. Sometimes it happens when it's in idle, sometimes when I'm watching a video, or browsing the net, and so on. I keep my laptop almost 24/7 on if that has something to do with anything.

My laptop is at least 6-7 years old and has been working perfectly until recently. I've done a few troubleshooting so let me first share some of my thoughts:

- it's not a driver or Windows software issue causing the shutdown since I haven't updated anything since I bought this laptop. The only software I install are games and some programming software that's been with me for years as well. So unless I've been lucky for it to not shutdown on me up until recently then I don't think this is the issue. Yes I know the pros-and-cons of updating but I really didn't feel the need to update as long as everything works, and to be honest I've had more bad experiences than good when I do update my different machines.

- it's not a heat problem because I clean the fan, vent, et.al. also replaced the thermal paste a few months back and lubricated the cooling fan. Get steady 50-60°C even during the moment of shutdown.

- maybe it's a HDD problem(?). I ran it through some tests already and it passed though with 1 or 2 bad sectors. Ran chkdsk and system startup error checking already.

- it's not a virus, malware, spyware issue.

- It happens when plugged in, happens when running on battery and happens when plugged in with removed battery.

The logs also wasn't that helpful for all it tells me is kernel power failure system shutdown unexpectedly.

Any ideas on why this is happening and suggestions on how to fix it?

4tbbAfU.png

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 RezaMilford

RezaMilford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I've ran the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and posting it now.

Though let me just reiterate that what I'm experiencing is not technically a BSOD but an abnormal crash shutdown. I see no blue screen at all when it happens.

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

So sorry for the late response! I've been busy lately and missed your reply.

I was hoping to find some clues in the Event Log, but alas there weren't any.

- maybe it's a HDD problem(?). I ran it through some tests already and it passed though with 1 or 2 bad sectors. Ran chkdsk and system startup error checking already.

What test did you run?

I can only suggest you run these hardware diagnostics for now www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html There's nothing much we can do.

Edit: I just noticed you have only 24 Windows hotfixes installed. Please get all available Windows Updates — you're not even on SP1!

Edited by bwv848, 20 January 2018 - 02:25 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users