Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow Win 10 startup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kallin

Kallin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

Hi all,

So I have a HP Envy 17 that has given me grief pretty much constantly since I got it a few years ago. The biggest problem at the moment is that the computer takes forever to start. Today I waited around 10 minutes before I could actually use the computer.

Have googled and tried every possible solution that I could find but nothing seems to help. I think one of the major culprits is the fact that the computer has two graphics cards which it's switching between (internal Intel and an NVIDIA one), this seems to have been the problem for other users.

Furthermore, a number of programs such as Dropbox are starting when I start the computer even though auto startup is disabled.

Last week I posted in the malware forum here and got help looking through my computer for this but nothing was found.

Would be grateful for any help I can get regarding this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

#3 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

About the same as normally, maybe a bit shorter!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#5 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:31 AM

Hi Kallin,

What you can do to troubleshoot that the right way and get answers to your problem is;

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.

- Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: https://justpaste.it/1dm88

- Compress the resulting file

- Share it through https://www.transfernow.net/en/ or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you

Edited by zinou, 13 January 2018 - 04:31 AM.

#6 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:14 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Hi,

Well the computer might have been slightly faster when starting up, but only from the point where the desktop is showing and "rebuilding". Also interesting is that when I restarted, "Load startup items" was once again checked under selective startup. This also goes hand in hand with software starting when I start Windows, even though they aren't supposed to do so! Thanks for the Autoruns, I just used it to remove things that definitely shouldn't be there. 

One example are NVIDIA things, which seem impossible to get NOT to autostart!

#7 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

Hi Kallin,

What you can do to troubleshoot that the right way and get answers to your problem is;

- Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.

- Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: https://justpaste.it/1dm88

- Compress the resulting file

- Share it through https://www.transfernow.net/en/ or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

See you

Hi zinou and thanks for this!

Here is the link:

www.transfernow.net/172c97e5v878

#8 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Here is a quick analysis of the boot trace:

I notice two things:
1- In the "Boot Phases graph" I can see that the most important delay occurs in the Explorer Init phase; This the phase when the desktop is shown.
2- There is a lot of disk activity !

Let's first deal with the first point;

From the CPU Procise graph, the Explorer.exe process is waiting 156 secondes on "Flux.exe" process to finish it's stuff !
Flux.exe is a program that adjusts display color temperature according to the time of day. So it make it a good conditat as a culprit of this delay.

What you have to do is disabling Fulx.exe from autostarting and test your boot time.

For the second point, I suggest you to enable the Superfetch service, as you have an SSHD disk, it may improve the disk access times.

When you enable the Superfetch service, you have to restart your computer 6 times, so that the Prefetcher will reorder his files.

After the 6th boot, take another boot trace, So that we can check the effectiveness of these fixes and also see if we can do further improvement to your boot time...

#9 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hi and thanks for this!

Yes, I do have a lot of problems with the Win 10 100% disk usage, that's why I disabled Superfetch since this was recommended. I will re-enable it now and reboot, will post another reply when it's done!

#10 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Here is the new file:

www.transfernow.net/710zr5b7ybk1

#11 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

There is a slight improvement compared to the first boot trace. You gained 11s in total boot time.

But there is still High disk I/O ! 

Have you restarted your system 6 times after enabling the superfetch service ? This number of restart is needed by the Prefetcher in order to be efficient...

From the Prefetch summary report, the percentage of Request Hit (the amount of data requested by the OS and found in the Prefetch cache) is 33.97 %. This number should be over 80% for a prefetch system working correctly.

If you've restarted your system 6 times and still have this result, that means that you Prefetcher system was broken. This is what's probably led you to disable it !

But you can repair it and take advantage of it's performance;

You have to run this command, in the command prompt:

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

this reboots Windows several times (6 times) does a defrag and trains the prefetcher again.

Be patient this can take a certain time.

At the end of this process, take another boot trace.

Edited by zinou, 13 January 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#12 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:12 AM

Hi,

So it was running for several hours but made a dramatic different when it comes to the startup time!

www.transfernow.net/178is3u7b783

#13 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

There was a lot of events lost when recording the trace Usually due to high Disk
pressure ! And I can't see all the boot phases and their duration for lack of data https://justpaste.it/1foii

Before I ask you to take another boot trace with different parameters, I'll ask for the boot traces generated by xbootmgr.exe command. You'll find them under C:\users\"Your profil"\bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_6.etl. Take only the 6th boot trace and upload it...

See you...

#14 Kallin

Kallin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

HI again,

There was nothing under my user, however these could all be found in the system32 folder. Hope this is the same one:

www.transfernow.net/77h1x1e76b47

#15 zinou

zinou

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

Can you upload also the boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl file it contain more data to analyze...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users