Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this new GPU work in my current PC?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

That's a massive help thank you! I'll be leaning towards the RX560 then with maybe the 1060 up my sleeve pending how savings go over the next little bit of time. 

One add-on question though regarding the PSU I'm struggling with. I'm probably doing most online PSU calculators wrong, but most calculators say my current set up needs between 300-320W, and the new setup would need about 360W (with either RX560 or GTX1060). I can't find specs for the exact model number online either, it keeps saying things close to it are a 700W PSU... but that doesn't seem right. But if it is then I guess I wouldn't need a new one. But yeah not sure if I got a new GPU and what wattage I should be aiming for. Thankfully I guess in comparison they're a lot cheaper! Although I guess it couldn't hurt getting a new one? The prices do confuse me though when you have some 650W being $5 cheaper than some 750W ... but so long as I know what I'm aiming for!

Actually I'll attach a photo of my PSU, someone will probably know at a glance what it is https://imgur.com/a/qngd1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

PSU is OK. While it may have got worse during years as it's probably quite old, it should have no problems with RX560.

#18 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

What would the actual wattage of mine be though? I'm not sure how to read it ... the only mention of wattage I can see on there is 130W but I'm sure that's not right. Most reviews of the 1060 say that 500W is enough so I guess if I get something like https://www.pccasegear.com/products/22270/corsair-vs550-atx-power-supply or even https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41151/thermaltake-litepower-gen2-750w-power-supply would do the trick? (that's where im a bit confused, $4 more gets you from 550W to 750W) .. guessing its a poor quality 750 and a high quality 550? Not sure, but for under $100 I wouldn't mind tacking a new one on, even if I buy it a couple of months later or something I guess so long as it'll do the job.

#19 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

That's 700W total max.

+12V output is rail 1 360W and rail 2 264W.

So your PSU is more than enough for your system. When considering your system consumption, that PSU's wattage is enough for three systems like you have. Practically that doesn't work of course.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 14 January 2018 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users