Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this new GPU work in my current PC?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

That's a massive help thank you! I'll be leaning towards the RX560 then with maybe the 1060 up my sleeve pending how savings go over the next little bit of time. 

One add-on question though regarding the PSU I'm struggling with. I'm probably doing most online PSU calculators wrong, but most calculators say my current set up needs between 300-320W, and the new setup would need about 360W (with either RX560 or GTX1060). I can't find specs for the exact model number online either, it keeps saying things close to it are a 700W PSU... but that doesn't seem right. But if it is then I guess I wouldn't need a new one. But yeah not sure if I got a new GPU and what wattage I should be aiming for. Thankfully I guess in comparison they're a lot cheaper! Although I guess it couldn't hurt getting a new one? The prices do confuse me though when you have some 650W being $5 cheaper than some 750W ... but so long as I know what I'm aiming for!

Actually I'll attach a photo of my PSU, someone will probably know at a glance what it is https://imgur.com/a/qngd1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

PSU is OK. While it may have got worse during years as it's probably quite old, it should have no problems with RX560.

#18 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

What would the actual wattage of mine be though? I'm not sure how to read it ... the only mention of wattage I can see on there is 130W but I'm sure that's not right. Most reviews of the 1060 say that 500W is enough so I guess if I get something like https://www.pccasegear.com/products/22270/corsair-vs550-atx-power-supply or even https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41151/thermaltake-litepower-gen2-750w-power-supply would do the trick? (that's where im a bit confused, $4 more gets you from 550W to 750W) .. guessing its a poor quality 750 and a high quality 550? Not sure, but for under $100 I wouldn't mind tacking a new one on, even if I buy it a couple of months later or something I guess so long as it'll do the job.

#19 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

That's 700W total max.

+12V output is rail 1 360W and rail 2 264W.

So your PSU is more than enough for your system. When considering your system consumption, that PSU's wattage is enough for three systems like you have. Practically that doesn't work of course.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 14 January 2018 - 12:51 PM.

#20 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I am at the point now of buying the new GPU. I think I'll probably go with the RX560 2GB - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39462 ... I mean I would probably prefer a 1060, or even a 4GB model, but I just dont think I can justify the extra price for what it gives above the performance of this one. And considering what I currently have, I should notice a marked improvement over what I have anyways?

But my main concern is if it will actually fit in my system? I know the dimensions for my current GPU are 8.25 x 4.38 inches, and the RX560 are 8.7 x 4.5 x 1.5 (not sure what the 1.5 is?) inches ... so it seems pretty similar in size. But is there a way of knowing if it should slot into my motherboard no problems? (MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155) )

Thanks for all your help so far guys, its been handy in narrowing everything down!

#21 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

Card fits into motherboard nicely. Question is, will it fit to your case too. Judging from dimensions, it will fit unless current card just barely fits.

#22 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:36 PM

Is there a reliable way to measure this? I could open my case and try measuring inside but from what I can see there seems to be plenty of room. I was worried about whether the MB slots would match up in line with the back of the GPU reaching the back of the case. For reference, here's what I'm currently working with: https://i.imgur.com/ET2cnqb.jpg

So if the case is big enough, are all GPUs pretty much universal when it comes to positioning so that the MB slot will line up allowing the back of the GPU to be accessible from the back of the case (for all the cables and such)?

#23 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

So if the case is big enough, are all GPUs pretty much universal when it comes to positioning so that the MB slot will line up allowing the back of the GPU to be accessible from the back of the case (for all the cables and such)?

Yes. That's how it is.

#24 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the help/advice in the thread. I ended up making a last minute decision to the GTX 1050 2GB because I caught it cheaper for $165 ... it arrived, installed, no issues and just decided to test it out on PUBG and its like I'm playing a completely different game! I'm actually shocked it all installed and set up without a hitch (not that I doubted you guys, just figured I always have trouble with these things haha). So thanks again for the advice!

#25 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

My 2 cents a high quality 550 will do the job just fine an use less juice!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#26 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 807 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

If you check, that Thermaltake litepower W0356P is really a 600w power supply that has a max load of 504w. It uses an HEC circuit board.It does not have an efficiency rating at all, which may mean that's it's probably old to start with. If I were to upgrade my pc, I would not risk it with that power supply. I would get an updated power supply. Why risk new parts with an old and under rated power supply?

There are no reviews but you can find those facts here

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page680.htm

Edited by Joe C, 05 March 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#27 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

Oh damn that gives me something to think about! Given my motherboard/set up, what sort of PSU would I be best suited to? I know that's a pretty broad question, but theres so many out there, so many different prices for similar wattage... so say from this list, is there anything you'd particularly think would work well? https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/power-supplies/ATX

Thanks!

#28 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 807 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic will be good for you. If your going to be gaming, then avoid the CX Corsair's. They are good psu's but they do have "economy" capacitors, which is not good for a high demand gaming pc.  The EVGA Super Nova's are safe and just about any Seasonic will be good

Newegg has a 620w seasonic on sale

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users