Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CES ~ Major Power Outage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:55 AM

About CES: Features the innovative power behind the industry’s emerging technology, including revolutions in fitness and health, the Internet of Things, wearables, smart home, sensors and other high-growth technologies changing the world. It’s also home to Eureka Park, the startup community at CES.

​Even with advanced technology...the lights went out January 10, 2018 for 2 hours! Yikes!

<-snip-> Power in the North and Central halls of the Las Vegas Convention Center, which hosts CES annually, was out for nearly two hours on Wednesday. First reports of the power outage began hitting Twitter from convention goers starting around 11:14AM PT, and was slowly restored shortly after 1:00PM PT. Security evacuated most visitors from the affected halls during that time.“A preliminary assessment indicates that condensation from heavy rainfall caused a flashover on one of the facility’s transformers,” reads a statement from the CTA, the organization that puts on CES. “We are grateful to NV Energy for their swift assistance, to our customers and their clients for their patience and to the staff for ensuring the safety and security of all attendees and exhibitors.”The outage impacted hundreds of companies, including giants like LG, Samsung, and Sony, as well as many small startups that paid thousands of dollars to have a presence on the massive show floor. This year’s CES seems to be marked by more chaos than usual, including unprecedented rain that flooded streets and shut down Google’s giant funhouse booth for a day.

Article: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16875192/ces-2018-blackout-power-outage

<-snip-> How many nerds does it take to change a light bulb? Okay, how about every light bulb in the Las Vegas Convention Center? Earlier on Wednesday, the power went out at CES — an annual tech trade show that those in the industry love to hate — leaving everybody in the dark. I’d try to describe it to you, but honestly, you’re better off just looking at the photos and videos people who are there posted on Twitter. There’s something truly delicious about a room full of tech folks who are, quite literally, powerless.  

Article: http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/01/power-outage-at-ces-turns-off-lights-leaves-people-in-dark.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Scary thought being in a public building without lights.

I'm sure somewhere there were some emergency lighting that should have come on seconds after the power outage occurred if they were checked and maintained regularly. :scratchhead:

Large facilities as such around my area are required to have backup power generators which kick on within minutes of power outages.

One reason I always make certain to carry a flashlight everywhere I go so as not to be in the dark when things like this occur. :thumbup2:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Ditto Toolman, why I carry the tiny powerhouse below, brighter than  my 5 D-cell Maglight-

nitecore_ec1_explorer_led_torch_pic_20.j
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

All that stuff is nothing without power.  Bet many phones went dead after using them as flashlights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users