Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Playback Devices for One Physical Device

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Hello!

I have an AV receiver (Denon AVR-S930H) connected to my laptop through HDMI. When I first got the receiver a couple months ago, it worked fine. It still works with my laptop, but for some reason, when I go into playback devices, it shows my receiver 10 times, but only one of those devices actually will play back audio through the receiver. It has only started to be like that recently. For a while I thought I'd just try to live with it, but it's starting to get rather annoying, especially if I change my audio device and then have to go through and figure out which of the 10 devices is the one that actually works. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing that, and what I can do to remove the extra devices?

Thanks,

Sasschary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Do you see these multiple devices under the Sound Section of Device Manager. If you do I would uninstall them all then reboot the computer. Create a restore point before doing this. I have no idea why there are multiple devices.

#3 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 853 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

I just tried that, but unfortunately, all 10 devices reappeared. Would the fact that one of them was in use when I uninstalled them all change anything?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

It shouldn't have. If you detach the device are the devices still listed in Device Manager? If yes then uninstall them then reboot. Attach the device.

Is this device attached via a USB port?

#5 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 853 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

When I remove the device, all 10 devices are removed from Device Manager. It's an HDMI output, which carries both video and 7.1 audio.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

The only thing I can think of is to uninstall your graphics driver. I assume the HDMI port is part of the graphics card. After doing the regular uninstall use DDU to remove any remnants then reinstall.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

#7 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 853 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

My apologies for not having responded yet. Sometime this weekend I will try that.

#8 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Okay, so, I finally got around to uninstalling my NVIDIA driver and running DDU but unfortunately the problem still remains. Also it's now gone up to 15 devices instead of 10 :smash:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

I'm out of ideas, sorry. Perhaps posting on the Nvidia forums would give you an answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users