Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Mozilla support is worthless, Mozilla user forum is useless.  I got away from Windows 10 and bought a Windows 7 Pro. disc and went back to 7, finally, so glad.  I had to go to Chrome because Firefox is not working properly and they have no support.  Now I am trying to import my Thunderbird profile back into the newly installed Thunderbird and the instructions I can find are for Windows 10--duh.  If I can't get this profile back into Thunderbird I will go elsewhere.  Anyone have an idea of how to do so, and, if not a good recommendation for an email program that I can use that will import all my addresses and archived messages?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

in short, I have lost all confidence in Mozilla

#3 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

I've nothing much to add here, but just good to have your advice (or warning) about Firefox.  Two machines here with Windows 10, and neither have Firefox installed, so I know now to avoid installing it.  

I never try to use nor mess with profiles.  My only use right now for Thunderbird is on one older machine with Windows VISTA.  IMAP has been my way to use.  If I might later try Thunderbird on MY Windows 10, I would either use the portable form, or use the installed form and see what happens, which means if installed, I would setup all the accounts-emails I want and not try to do any kind of profile stuff.  I wish there were something as easy to use and have all the advantages of Thunderbird and FREE; but I found NOTHING.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

From here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data#w_how-to-find-your-profile

How to find your profile
  1. Click on the menu button or menu bar.
  2. From the Help menu, click Troubleshooting Information.
  3. In the Application Basics section, Profile Folder, click on Open Folder.
  4. The Windows Explorer window will show the name of the profile as well as the path to it.

Copy all the files and folders inside your old profile backup to inside the new one with Thunderbird closed, after this when you open the program it should have all your old data.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

I did manage to get the path and copied and pasted the old profile into the current folder for Thunderbird, however, I just can't seem to get the addresses and saved emails to show up in my new Thunderbird.  I have made several attempts but nothing seems to work.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

I did manage to get the path and copied and pasted the old profile into the current folder for Thunderbird, however, I just can't seem to get the addresses and saved emails to show up in my new Thunderbird.  I have made several attempts but nothing seems to work.

How are you setting up the accounts?   Were they IMAP access, both the e-mail messages and contacts should automatically synchronize from the server.

If you're still using POP (by choice rather than by force - there are some e-mail providers who still don't support IMAP for some bizarre reason) abandon it for IMAP.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users