Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Indicator for Bad Switch Ports

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 m13nichols

m13nichols

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

How do you determine if a network switch port won't work due to hardware issues?  Is there an indicator for knowing a port is bad?  I don't know anything about networking and am trying to expand my knowledge of networking equipment.  I know that just because the light above a port isn't lit doesn't necessarily mean a port is bad.  Does it take trial and error?  I wouldn't know where to begin to plug into the switch to test all the ports.  Any information is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Trial and error or it used to work and now it doesn't are the two primary, unless you're talking a smart switch which may have more options.

The light not being lit when an active device is connected is usually a pretty good indicator that something is wrong.  If you can move a known working cable and device from port to port and see if the light comes on or if you have network connectivity.

I've seen pins bent or broken off in ports that cause them not to work.  Don't ask me how someone managed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users