Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow boot (after Win10 update?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RobRoy2350

RobRoy2350

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

Relatively new Acer desktop running Win10 Home. All Windows patches/updates applied with no apparent problem (no BSOD's). Has always booted up fast but suddenly starting last week (after the Spectre patch?) it seems to take forever. I looked in the Event Viewer log and found one error that hangs the boot for at least 3 minutes:

Event Viewer Error:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
 and APPID{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I googled and found all sort of instructions for changing permissions to DCOM components. I sort of tried and get an error that it can't be changed. I remember this happening with my older computer, tried to fix it and eventually I bricked it. I don't want to do that again.

I was thinking of trying to rollback the updates but have heard people having issues with doing even that.

Any suggestions? The computer is otherwise running fine. It bugs me that it takes sooo long to boot now.

RobRoy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with one of these free utilities: 
SpeedFan:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
HWMonitor:  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
HWInfo:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RobRoy2350

RobRoy2350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Reports attached.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

The Admin log file shows errors that may be suggestive of a hard drive that is dying/failing (could be F:)

Interestingly, no F: drive shows up in the MSINFO32 report.  Any idea why this might be?

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the hard drive tests - but be sure to complete ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

In the event that the hard drive is having problems - it's advisable to backup your stuff now - in case the drive dies on you unexpectedly.

Most data is in your profile in the C:\Users directory - although Quickbooks data is usually stored in the C:\Users\Public\Documents directory

Your UEFI/BIOS (version R02-A2) dates from 2017.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Lot's of problems with the Intel Zero Configuration Wireless service.
While this may/may not be related to the problems that you're having - I'd still suggest:
- download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible Intel wireless drivers from the manufacturer's website

- uninstall the current Intel wireless software from Settings...Apps...Apps & Features (for now, you can also run appwiz.cpl from the Run dialog - until it's superseded in a future build)

- then install the freshly downloaded copy of the driver software and test for further problems.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RobRoy2350

RobRoy2350
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

I ran the diags. All passed. I do have two external drives that I use to back all my data. One is primary and the other a backup of the backup. I only plug them in when I do my weekly (or sometimes daily) data backup. Could account for the phantom F: drive you noticed. I also have a fresh Seagate SATA drive that I use to clone the internal drive. When I swapped them out the boot still took longer than usual.

There is an updated bios (R02-A4). I will update

There are no new Windows updates.

I can update the Intel Wireless drivers.

I still suspect this happened after one of the recent Windows updates. Others have reported screwed up Dcom privileges (and hence slow boots) after a Windows update. Since I have a good clone I think I will try uninstalling the last few updates and see what happens.

It's very frustrating.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

I'd try a clean boot, and then a clean install in order to see if that fixes the problem.

Quote boxes below describe each suggestion:

Perform a Clean Boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If that stops the problem, then re-enable things a few at a time until you figure out what's causing it.
Then uninstall the problem program (from Start...Settings...Apps...Apps & Features - if you don't find it there, check the right sidebar for Programs and Features and see if you can remove it from there).

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.  You can also do this if you don't want to try another hard drive - yet you want to be able to return to the current system state.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users