Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP L1906 Monitor - Occasional Cracking Sound?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

Hi,

I use a HP L1906 monitor on my PC.  Occasionally, I've noticed a cracking sound coming from the monitor but it appears to work fine.  Just wondered what might cause this cracking sound and is it anything to be concerned about?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

anytime you hear crackling noise coming from any electronics you should take precautions to prevent stuff like fires (worst case) or anything else that may happen.

i would unplug it and replace it to be safe.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

That monitor is a CCFL LCD device which means there is one or more fluorescent bulb(s) inside the display panel and the power supply for it produces over 1,000 volts.  That is about the only thing that could produce a crackling noise.

Use a can of blow-off and, with it OFF and unplugged, blow in through every vent you can find to knock any dust loose and; hopefully, out.

If that doesn't fix it, start saving for a new monitor!

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

crackling could also be arching from a transformer that's going bad.  or a bad solder connection could be arching also.  and yes dust in the high voltage circuitry i guess could happen.

but i wouldn't leave it plugged in unattended, but that's just me being a component level repair tech for many years and yes i'm old.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Those high voltage stages of high voltage (over 300 volts) are prone to attracting any dust and dirt that enters the enclosure.  A removal of the case would ensure a more complete clean up, a paint brush and canned air would be needed to dislodge the dust collected around those HV components.  Done by a skilled technician of course.

#6 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for your helpful replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users