Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new PSU, now getting 0xc000000e error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy27

Cindy27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

My PSU went bad in my Optiplex 760 and I installed a new one.  I now get an 0xc000000e error which states that 'The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.' I've reseated the cables. Took out the MB battery for 30 sec and put back in. I made sure that the HD is selected to start first. The Boot Device Menu shows SATA0- Samsung HD083GJ but I get the error when I press it

My BIOS shows no drives I've run diagnostics on my boot device menu and I get No Diagnostic of Utility Partition Identified.

I don't have any discs. Is there anything else that I can try? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

If the drive is not reflected in the BIOS...and you have properly reseated cables...I'd giess that it's time to run the hard drive manufactuer's diagnostic(long test) on the hard drive.  You want to run the DOS version of the diagnostic.

Louis

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

on your power supply wires connect a different power connector to the HDD if you have a 2nd connector.  think here maybe the connector is cracked and not making good connection with the 12v wires, that's if the drive was working before you replaced the powersupply.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Gut feeling the HD is not getting power.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:08 AM

If the message looks like this:

[attachment=201348:Untitled.jpg]

You can see at the top of the screen that the message is coming from Windows so the drive must be getting power and the cable must be connected or you would not be getting any messages from Windows.

If you want to see what those kinds of messages look like unplug the drive power/cable and you will get a different message and it will not be coming from Windows.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

well then if you drive is getting power then there is only one thing left that it could be!  your drive is going bad.  boot into bios settings and see what the smart reading are telling you.  if you can't read them in your bios you will need to get a utility that will let you boot and check smart settings.

guess your new power supply could be bad also, but i doubt it.    it's possible that when you power supply quit it took out your drive, i have seen this many times.

Edited by mightywiz, 15 January 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

OP made initial post...has not logged in since.

Louis

#8 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:36 AM

It is possible that the psu is not compatible with the Dell system built around that time. The Dell psu's were different from the standard psu.

I would check the pin-outs on your mobo with the pin-outs of your psu.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

It is possible that the psu is not compatible with the Dell system built around that time. The Dell psu's were different from the standard psu.

I would check the pin-outs on your mobo with the pin-outs of your psu.

Excellent point, it took a long time for Dell to go to standard pin out.  I bet many a machine was ruined by folks not knowing about the issue!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users