Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable automatic restart after Windows 10 update?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:15 AM

Hey all,

I'm fuming to say the least. I use my PC for rendering animations, and last night I set if off render, ready for the morning, and guess what's happened?!

So is there a way to DISABLE the restarting of Windows 10? I'm not looking for the time to restart, but rather a way to disable it, and manually restart when convenient.

I've tried some of the ones from Google, but it looks like the newest update has put a stop to them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

This is the first I have heard of this. I deal almost exclusively with Windows 10 computers and I have never come across a system that has an auto-restart feature after an update. Other posters here may have come across this feature, but of the many computers that I have to deal with this is not a feature that I have come across.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

Hi Dean,

If you have the latest Windows 10 version 1709 check this about setting the Active Hours

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-active-hours-avoid-windows-10-sudden-restarts-during-updates

I'm not sure that Microsoft will let you disable the auto Reboot completely, do you have Windows 10 Pro or higher?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hi Dean,

If you have the latest Windows 10 version 1709 check this about setting the Active Hours

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-active-hours-avoid-windows-10-sudden-restarts-during-updates

I'm not sure that Microsoft will let you disable the auto Reboot completely, do you have Windows 10 Pro or higher?

The problem lies with Active Hours. It was set to 18:00 - 7:00. I set the rendering of the animation and left the office before 18:00, and the restart kicked in once I'd gone.

When I arrived the PC hadn't done what I'd expected it to, so that's put me back a whole day, not good!

I need something to stop these restarts. OK granted it's not that often these restarts happen, but I'm generally using the PCs at night for rendering. It's not like it even monitors activity, and decides that the PC is idle. When I'm rendering the PC uses 100% CPU power, not like a background activity.

Hmmmmm

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

What version of Windows 10 (as in Home, Pro, etc.) are you using and what version number?

The control over Restarts for updates can be made pretty tight even on Home, but even tighter on Pro.  The fact of the matter is that you cannot put off updates themselves or restarts "forever."   You can set the system to give you notification that a restart is needed or scheduled and to defer it up to three times, but if you keep deferring it after time three it will restart.

This is why I encourage people to check Windows Update settings manually before they kick off something that is critical that would run during what are normally inactive hours.  That way you can choose to restart yourself, before inactive hours start, and avoid the problem entirely.

I know of no way to make the restart process in response to updates that require one entirely manual.  That was most likely taken away because it was so common for so many to refuse to apply updates, period, and this has been retrofitted in Windows Update back to Windows 7 when I last read anything about it.

You could also choose to make your "inactive hours" during the working day and ask for notification prior to restart.  That gives you a lot more control over the process.

Edited by britechguy, 11 January 2018 - 10:06 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

I have Windows 10 Pro

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.15

@britechguy yea you're right, I should have checked, and I guess that's best practice, but things aren't always that easy :) The problem is that MS presume everyone is an idiot. There's no "I'm not a plank, I understand the consequences" tick box. Instead I've potentially pissed a client off. Some of us use PCs for work, not Facebooking!

Anyway, I think I may have found one way around this, but changing the Group Policy for Windows Update ...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-notify-you-before-downloading-or-installing-windows-updates

Only time will tell I guess.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,667 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

As I have Windows 10 Home I do not have Group Policy Editor.

There is, however, a Restart Options link in the Update Settings area of the Windows Update Settings.   I make a point of turning on the toggle for, Show more notifications which does what the description beneath says.   When those reminders come up they also come with a deferral option, or at least they did, it's been a long time since I didn't choose to immediately restart when I trigger an update that requires one or see that one has been downloaded and installed, but the system is awaiting the end of active hours before restarting.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

I don't know if Microsoft has eliminated this but it may be possible to disable Reboot in Task Scheduler.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-rebooting-after-installing-updates

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

I have Windows 10 Pro

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.15

@britechguy yea you're right, I should have checked, and I guess that's best practice, but things aren't always that easy :) The problem is that MS presume everyone is an idiot. There's no "I'm not a plank, I understand the consequences" tick box. Instead I've potentially pissed a client off. Some of us use PCs for work, not Facebooking!

Anyway, I think I may have found one way around this, but changing the Group Policy for Windows Update ...

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-notify-you-before-downloading-or-installing-windows-updates

Only time will tell I guess.

that's exactly what you need, we have this set on a POS server the update kept happening when work would start and kill all out terminals.   but the policy change fixed that problem.  but after you do updates make sure you check the policy settings again to make sure the update didn't change them back to default.

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

Hi, in enterprise environments you don't want your machines restarting unless it's your intention. MS TN make available registry settings to control updates (don't worry it mentions earlier versions, they still apply today)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708449(v=ws.10).aspx

Specifically this mod (which I have used for years, allows me to control when to restart) CMD as admin copy paste:-

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f 

Press enter, you should see a success message. Restart computer.

#11 TCMullet

TCMullet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

Hey all,

I'm fuming to say the least. I use my PC for rendering animations, and last night I set if off render, ready for the morning, and guess what's happened?!

So is there a way to DISABLE the restarting of Windows 10? I'm not looking for the time to restart, but rather a way to disable it, and manually restart when convenient.

I've tried some of the ones from Google, but it looks like the newest update has put a stop to them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Dean

I am mad as hell WITH you my friend.  I just lost two nights' work due to this crap.  Leave a long job running over night and PC is rebooted in a.m.  I don't want a registry hack.  I want a solution plainly accessible WITHIN Windows.  At one point, I tried setting "active hours" to a narrow window, but it wouldn't let me!  I am really really pissed at MS for the many lost days of productivity they are causing the American computer workers.  Windows XP had it PERFECTLY.  Why do they have to break a good system??  I will review the "fixes" here, but I not sure I'll be thrilled with them if a registry hack is involved.  Why should I have to hack my several systems (and remember that this hack is there if I have to reinstall Windows) to stop the system from destroying my work???

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,667 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

At one point, I tried setting "active hours" to a narrow window, but it wouldn't let me!  

I am not sure if you mean what you typed, but the fewer active hours you have the more inactive hours you have, and it is only during inactive hours that automatic restarts are even permitted.

I understand what you're saying, but even on Windows Home you can set things up where you will be notified that a restart is scheduled and given the option to defer it (up to three times).

Also, over the course of the decades I've been working with Windows, small registry tweaks have been necessary to get some more esoteric forms of control.  If I make any I keep a running log of what I did (including the actual .reg file that did it and could be used to do it again) and the reason I did it.  The need for certain things come into and out of existence over time, or at least that's been my experience.

#13 TCMullet

TCMullet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

At one point, I tried setting "active hours" to a narrow window, but it wouldn't let me!  

I am not sure if you mean what you typed, but the fewer active hours you have the more inactive hours you have, and it is only during inactive hours that automatic restarts are even permitted.

I understand what you're saying, but even on Windows Home you can set things up where you will be notified that a restart is scheduled and given the option to defer it (up to three times).

Also, over the course of the decades I've been working with Windows, small registry tweaks have been necessary to get some more esoteric forms of control.  If I make any I keep a running log of what I did (including the actual .reg file that did it and could be used to do it again) and the reason I did it.  The need for certain things come into and out of existence over time, or at least that's been my experience.

You're right.  I meant the opposite.  I tried to set active hours to a very long time, leaving inactive to only a few hours, and it wouldn't let me.  However I have it set now, I've lost 2 nights due to Windows rebooting WHILE a long encoding job was running.  Last night was a reattempt of the one interrupted the night before.  I do not wish to "maintain" Windows with any kind of separate paper log.  This is stupid that I can't change options within Windows to make it operate in a way that is compatible with my computer usage.  If Bill Gates was standing here right now, I'd want to punch him.  I'm glad he's not.  And I'm not one to be angered easily.  I am struggling to start a risky business and cannot tolerate losing half-days constantly.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

It seems lately Microsoft thinks they know what's good for you. To me an OS is something that should be in the background allowing you to run what programs how and when you wish with as little hassle as possible, not something with flashing tiles in your face. Other people may like the fact they are getting things like Candy Crush, Xbox, and Mixed Reality along with two major upgrades every year that may render any of your hardware useless if it's no longer supported by the manufacturer. Me, not so much. At least with Windows 7 I know my hardware will function till 2020 and 2023 with 8.1. That is still 5 years out. After that, I'm moving on to an alternate OS ( think linux) though I realize most people will still be using Windows for gaming and mission critical programs. Personally, I can't deal with two major OS upgrades a year. I'll be happy with a linux LTS distro running the programs I need.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 January 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#15 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

I don't know why you think the group policy change is a hack for window 10 pro.  it's a legit setting and Is a solution plainly accessible WITHIN Windows and one that works.  it changes windows settings to: option 2 - let you know when a download is available and then you have to initiate it.

and the registry setting for enterprise is the same thing except your manually adding the group policy change instead of going thru the GUI windows to accomplish it

forget the inactive time setting, you will still get screwed over by those settings and make the group policy change. but remember you have to do updates yourself for security reason for your software.

I work as an IT person and manage 70 + computer on my own and I have set this group policy on every windows 10 system I have.  there is nothing like a windows update happening right before lunch on our Point Of Sales Servers and killing all the computers because no one can enter an order until the upgrade downloads and finishes an hour later.

I feel your pain as this has happened to us at one of our busiest locations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users