Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having a bit problem with updating the BIOS of my Windows 10 HP notebook laptop.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 owaisrm

owaisrm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

My HP notebook laptop is facing some charging problems (charges very slow) and I've been recommended to update the BIOS of my laptop. There is a BIOS update available when I check with HP Support Assistant .The BIOS update downloads succesfully and the installer window of the BIOS setup pops-up. After clicking on few " next " buttons , a pop-up shows the following message and I don't know what to do. Here's what I get:

1) The BIOS update may not fully update in legacy flash method. Please select "Create USB Flash Recovery Drive" to create crisis dongle and run this utility again.
Click "Exit" to close this utility.

2) Only update BIOS region.
Click "Continue" to continue the flash process.

The first option just closes the HP BIOS Utility and doesn't update the BIOS. My question is that should I proceed with the second option which says " Only update BIOS region " ?
This might be a dumb question but since updating the BIOS is a delicate process, I don't want to take any risk.

I've posted the same question on HP Support Forum, but didn't got any accurate answer.

Product name: HP notebook 15-ay503tx.
Processor: Intel i5 6200u.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Have you talked with a person at HP support?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

One thing I'd suggest is going directly to the HP Support Page for your machine and downloading the BIOS update manually from there.   The downloads are generally entitled spXXXXX.exe where the Xs are single digits.

I have seen times where the Support Assistant "burps" and the native updater doesn't.   I can't imagine why an i5 system would be using "legacy" anything unless someone intentionally tweaked it to do so (and that someone would be you or someone you had work on the thing).

If the straight download gives you the same messages I'd e-mail HP support.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 owaisrm

owaisrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

One thing I'd suggest is going directly to the HP Support Page for your machine and downloading the BIOS update manually from there.   The downloads are generally entitled spXXXXX.exe where the Xs are single digits.

I have seen times where the Support Assistant "burps" and the native updater doesn't.   I can't imagine why an i5 system would be using "legacy" anything unless someone intentionally tweaked it to do so (and that someone would be you or someone you had work on the thing).

If the straight download gives you the same messages I'd e-mail HP support.

@britechguy ,thank you for replying.

I downloaded the BIOS update from HP site, tried to install it and got the same message.. And I'm pretty much sure that I haven't tweaked anything.

I bought this laptop some 4 months ago and my laptop, most of the times, charges very slow. It takes some 8+ hours for getting fully charged. I tried hard reset, calibration, re-installing the MICROSOFT ACPI REPLIANT driver, but nothing fixed my problem. Also did the battery tests using UEFI DIAGONASTICS but it always displays positive result. Now, the only thing left is updating the BIOS. I even talked with HP support a month ago, but all the things they recommended were not able to fix my problem.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

As was suggested on the Computer Hope forum, you should return the laptop for exchange or refund.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Well, I'd contact HP support again specifically about the inability to update UEFI via the "official method."  

This is the first and only time I've seen this particular problem encountered and documented as well as you have.

And, as has been suggested, if this machine is only 4 months old I would be doing everything I could to secure a replacement from HP under warranty.  All of the things you describe are extremely uncharacteristic for hardware that's really, really new.

Edited by britechguy, 11 January 2018 - 10:41 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 owaisrm

owaisrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

I'm going to take it to the HP service centre. If they were not able to fix this problem then I'd return and replace it under warranty.

Thank you everyone for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users