Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surface Pro 3: 100k+ Clusters Located in Bad Sectors?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gm1138

gm1138

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:41 AM

I've been attempting to create a backup image of my Surface Pro 3's 64GB SSD prior to installing Meltdown and Spectre updates.

In the past I've successfully imaged my SSD with Clonezilla without issue. But now, each method I've tried has either failed due to bad sectors or has finished with warnings. Macrium Reflect finished with a bad sector warning, Clonezilla failed with a bad sector warning, and the built-in Windows System Image Backup failed with a vague error.

Macrium's Image Backup shows that the C partition has over 2,400 "clusters located in bad sectors" and that the Recovery partition has over 140,000 clusters located in bad sectors.

However, Macrium's File System Check tool finds no errors on either partition. I've run chkdsk, which finds no problems (see update below), and CrystalDiskInfo shows the health status of the C drive to be good. Should I be concerned about the warnings? Is there a way to discover what files, if any, are affected?

Thank for any advice.

Edited by gm1138, 11 January 2018 - 08:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:43 AM

I discovered I had used chkdsk incorrectly. I ran it again at startup with the command "chkdsk /r /x", and the result is:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  476416 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.
  7957 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.  

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  584800 index entries processed.                                                        Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 2581 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2581 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2581 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  54193 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  35330992 USN bytes processed.                                                            Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x237bd6000 for 0x10000 bytes.
A disk read error occurredc0000185
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 66981 of name \Windows\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\RTSUST~1.INF\RTSUST~1.DLL.
  476400 files processed.                                                                File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  412682 free clusters processed.                                                        Free space verification is complete.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.
Does this seem bad? It looks like only a single file is damaged (RtsUStoricon.dll Realtek Card Reader Driver Icon DLL).
However, it also says "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file"; there is 1.7GB free on the SSD.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

That isn't enough free space, and it can cause numerous problems - the OS won't be able to update itself, things like disk optimisation/SSD wear levelling cannot happen, and file operations will fail and so on.  If the disk is self reporting as "good" then my guess would be the source of most of these errors is down to the lack of free space on the drive.  Really 64 Gb is very tight for a Windows 10 system disk but it is what it is I guess.  I'm not sure it's easily upgradeable in a system like that.  I think I'd try removing things to aim for at least 10% free space, and if possible, 15% is better.  The "clean up" operation in disk properties may help by removing temporary files, archived windows update installers etc.  Consider moving personal files that may take up a lot of room onto external storage, and uninstalling any applications that you don't use.

When some space has been freed hopefully chkdsk will be able to fully repair the errors found on the file system.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:46 AM

Believe me, if I could go back in time and buy the bigger SSD I absolutely would! 64GB has been the bane of my existence--that and having only one USB port. I've resorted to storing personal files on an external HD, and I only have the bare essentials that I need installed. Although it can be done, replacing the SSD is definitely not easy on a Surface. 

I was planning to investigate if I can install programs on a memory card in the little slot on the back of the computer, so I guess it's time to start looking at that in earnest and free up SSD space. (Incidentally, I'm still on Windows 8.1, and have no immediate plans to move over to 10.) Thanks for that insight; a gig and a half sounds like a lot compared to even a few years ago, but it sure fills up quickly, and requires a reboot to reclaim the space.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#5 Tunedport64

Tunedport64

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

I also would start with the clean up options in disk properties...then I would run a scanner from the SSD manufacturer just to make sure everything is OK. Then if all is OK..I'd manually move enough files to other places so as to free up at least 25% of the drive which from what I have read and experienced is the max out on what you should be filling on any drive. I also use Macrium Reflect 7 and recently I found I am losing one of my drives though the first few tests did not identify the issue. It was not until I downloaded tools from (in my case) Seagate that showed that bad sectors where causing my issues. I heard noises...(I see dead people) While the drive is working I chose to drag and drop all files onto my back up drive..I have 3 drive...an SSD for OS...the SATA 1TB drive that failed for my files...and a SATA 4 TB back up.  which more than likely already has the files within the backup files from Macrium. I did not image or clone and it is taking hours and hours but when I am done I for certain will not have lost anything and I will replace my failing drive with a new one.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#6 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

Thank you both for the advice. Seems I've got my weekend planned out for me!

#7 Tunedport64

Tunedport64

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

sure thing..would like to know what you find..sorry about your weekend...maybe it will be raining and cold so it won't be all that bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users