Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

I have 3 different laptops that are having trouble in the house. I don't know what my wife does to hers but I do think the less than gentle handling from kids is what has caused their issues.

Main issue for this post is my son's laptop.  Like other laptops I've seen, some of those little metal things the screws go into have broken out of the plastic. Four or five of them now I believe. I've successfully used duct tape in crucial areas to prevent further issues for the most part.  But ran into a bigger problem caused by that today.
These things seem to be worse near the hinges which makes sense but is also the worst spot for that to happen.  You'd think by now they'd have better ways of holding those flimsy things together.  :(
Anyway...  Was at the store and got a call today learning that my 3 year old spilled water on my son's laptop. I had them take the battery out and put it upside down til I got home.  When I got home, I found some water in a screw hole or two but, didn't see anything inside.  My oldest daughter said she tipped it over and poured water out of the keyboard right away so perhaps it never made it to the MB. 

To be safe, I opened it up to have a look. While messing with it the hinge metal came up off of the power button board...  detaching the flimsy cable that was on it. It's just there... no good way to secure it. Was just sort of sticky on the bottom and I'm guessing something like solder holding it to the board.  There's 4 little lines on the cable that line up with the board. I did my best to hold it in place and put some clear tape to hold it down. When I tried to turn it back on I had no luck. There are lights on the front of the laptop suggesting that it's plugged in and charged so power is getting to different parts of the laptop.  So far I'm thinking the MB is okay.

But now it looks like I'll be ordering a new power button board. 
>>THIS<< is the only one I could find on ebay or amazon. It doesn't show the connection I'm referring to.  >>THIS<<  isn't the power button board I need but the image shows about what the connection to the board looked like.  My question is...  Can I wiggle that around or find a way to secure it back in place or do I just need to replace the whole thing?

I'll need to replace the whole palm rest part of the laptop as well so I can actually put ALL the screws back in. I just bought the very bottom part a while back because the plastic lines covering the heatsink/vent were ALL busted off and my son pretty much burned himself on it a time or two.  more money...  yay...

The other two laptops I'm having issues with may be software related but I'll mention them briefly here and get some thoughts...?

2nd child's laptop(got 5 kids, 3 have their own laptops now)(oh, windows 8 toshiba) has been restarting multiple times a day.  They do their schoolwork on their laptops so having it shut down over and over doesn't work. I've looked at it a bit. Told it to go ahead and "repair" the startup issues if it had any... which it said it did I think. I'm kind of not in the mood to look at computers anymore. HA.  But I have to fix this. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this issue?

And my wife's computer...  windows 7 toshiba...  As much as I don't want to, I'm tempted to back up files and just reinstall windows.  She can turn it on and walk away from it and maybe it will be useable after about 20 minutes or more. Til then, things freeze/hang and it's just unresponsive.  I've run ccleaner, removed junk, ran virus scans, let ccleaner clean up the registry, defrag, check startup programs, etc etc...  and it's still SLOW...  abnormally slow.  Once it gets going it's not as bad. Other than reinstalling windows, any other troubleshooting suggestions? 

I used to enjoy fixing up computers from time to time, figuring out what's wrong, etc... but lately, I'm just not so excited about it.  Especially when there's more than one at a time.  :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

For all of your laptops: (I'll come back to the power button board in a few minutes)

If your PC is booting or running slow or has issues with suddenly freezing, a very common cause, these days, is a failing hard disk drive and a dirty little secret is that hard disk drives are outrageously fragile when they are running. An overly simple explanation is that they are forty times more fragile than a raw egg and even the slightest bump can hurt them. The problem is so rampant that virtually all newer drives have a shock sensor who's purpose is to record excessive shocks so the manufacturer can tell you that your warranty has been voided.

Luckily, there is a relatively easy way to find out if this is what's going on. Go to http://www.hdtune.com/download.html and download hdtunepro_570_trial.exe which is free for 15 days. I'd suggest you save it before you install it; but, either way, you need to install it and run it.

Look first on the Health tab. The most important numbers are what is in the data (fourth) column for (05) Reallocated Sector Count and (C5)Current Pending Sector. If either one of them is not zero, plain and simple, the drive is failing. As long as it's there, you might want to look at (BF) G-sense Error Rate. The number in the data (fourth) column is how many times the drive has detected excessive shocks.

Even if (05) and (C5) are zero, I would strongly suggest for you to go to the Error Scan tab and run it by clicking Start. It may take hours if you have a one or two TeraByte drive; but, that is the surest test to verify the drive's operation. If even one red box appears, you found the reason why your PC is freezing.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

In order to find your power button board, I need the full model number of the Toshiba?  Its on the same sticker as the serial number on the bottom of the laptop.

But; no, you can't fudge on that power button board.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

The bottom to his laptop is different now, replaced that part already... ha. but I have the original. When looking up the parts it seems the important part is c55d-b.  that -b is important as there are others that are all c44d but it seems all the -b's are the same. 
looks like his old sticker is a bit worn.  C55D-B5102

and it has to look like the one I linked above...  THIS ONE

I'll try that program on my wife's computer when I get to it.  You think I should try that on my daughter's computer as well? the one that keeps restarting.

I also checked inside for dust, blew some out of the fan area, to make sure it wasn't an overheating issue. Doesn't seem to be.
I have to get the parts ordered for my son and get to work on my daughters today.

thanks for the replies.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

It shows more choices and a lower price if you ebay search "satellite ls-b302p"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-15-6-C55-B5101-Power-Button-Board-w-Cable-LS-B302P-GLP/401433192092?epid=1030920865&hash=item5d7748669c:g:twUAAOSwO7hZ92Hb

If you think that any of your laptops have been banged (even slightly) and they are misbehaving in any way, the first thing to check is the hardware and HDTune is great for checking hard disk drives!  You can make a laptop 3,000 times more shock resistant if you replace the HDD with an SSD; but, that usually requires a reinstall of everything.

P.S.  I use 5 minute epoxy to glue the threads back in when people break them and use a toothpick to stir it together and to then apply it.

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Thanks.  Found one for 6.79 + 3.64 shipping.  Definitely better than $18. 

Yeah, laptops get banged around...  especially with kids. I would never imagine hdd's to be THAT fragile though.  I've seen some take some bad drops over the years.  Wife even ran over her old laptop and it sill worked for a while. ha.  No way we're switching to ssd at this point but future purchases will likely have them.  We'll see.  I'll see if I can get my daughter's laptop to run long enough to try those tests.  I'll save the file to a flash drive on my desktop first maybe.  We'll see what it finds. 

I don't have all those screw hole things laying around I think.  I've tried fixing laptops using different methods of epoxy and such at one point but they didn't always hold up.  They REALLY need to just make the connections where the hinges are stronger.  You'd think they'd have improved that by now.

Anyway...  I'll let you know how things go.  Thanks

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

Laptop 1. My son's.  Got that one all taken care of... replacement parts all worked out just fine.

Laptop 2. My wife's. That's one I have to check out. It was SUPER unresponsive half the time... then it started working for a while. Now it's back to working poorly again.  It works so I haven't gotten to it much.

Laptop 3. My daughter's.  This one is the one I would like to focus on.  It restarts for her often, mostly during the startup process,  I rarely have as many problems when I'm using it and am typing up this reply on it now.  I opened it up and took a little dust out of the fan. Wasn't totally blocked but needed the cleaning. I checked this as I've been wondering if it's an overheating issue... especially since I don't always notice the fan blowing hot air.  At the moment, it's working. Let's hope it doesn't die while I'm typing this. ha.

One thing to note... Once in a while, like today when I opened it up, system date and time is reset to 2014 or something. Is this a battery issue or, could it be something else? And if the tiny little battery is part of it, would that possibly, in any way, cause restarts? Doesn't sound right to me but, good to mention what I know.

A question to go with this. Is there a way to tell if a laptop had been refurbished?  This is one of two identical laptops bought at best buy a few years ago. Neither were sold as refurbished as I never purchase refurbished.  But while I was in there today I noticed marks that I had not put in there... I've been inside before but never paid attention. Red permanent marker at most of the connections for cables and such. Two cables that are soldered connections had what looked like a big C in black pen.  Is this normal marking from when it was built?

Anyway...  I'll get to my wife's computer eventually but want to focus on this one for now. Some days she tries to get on it and it restarts enough times before getting to windows that she gives up.  Gotta figure that out soon.
Ran that trial program even though I think that was more about my wife's...   05 and c5 were at 0.  BF was like 656 or something.  Will check the other things and run the test while I have it open...  I don't think it's a hdd issue but worth checking for sure. 

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Laptop 3. My daughter's.  This one is the one I would like to focus on.  It restarts for her often, mostly during the startup process,  I rarely have as many problems when I'm using it and am typing up this reply on it now.  I opened it up and took a little dust out of the fan. Wasn't totally blocked but needed the cleaning. I checked this as I've been wondering if it's an overheating issue... especially since I don't always notice the fan blowing hot air.  At the moment, it's working. Let's hope it doesn't die while I'm typing this. ha.

One thing to note... Once in a while, like today when I opened it up, system date and time is reset to 2014 or something. Is this a battery issue or, could it be something else? And if the tiny little battery is part of it, would that possibly, in any way, cause restarts? Doesn't sound right to me but, good to mention what I know.

Any thoughts? please. 

That night I played around with it, it worked just fine for me. And my daughter has been using it since but just now, it restarted on her. 
Is there a way to figure out what causes a restart each time it happens?

Not only do the restarts cause delays/interruptions in schoolwork, they also disrupt her emotional state. :( 

I don't want to do this but, I'm thinking about creating a new space(in our TINY house) for a couple of the kids to have their laptops at ALL times...  Nice desk of some sort, headphones for each, and have them remain there to limit drops and other abuse.  would be nice if laptops were simply sturdier equipment.  :(  Some of that would require more work but, some parts you'd think they'd have better ways by now... like the screws being held in by a tiny piece of metal that stuck in a little piece of plastic that's prone to breaking. 
eh...  humbug.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users