Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Meltdown and Spectre patches?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iMacg3

iMacg3

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 915 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I currently own a Windows XP PC, which I occasionally use for web browsing. Are patches for Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities going to be issued for Windows XP, similar to the Wannacry Ransomware? I couldn't find any info about this online.

Regards,
iMacg3

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2018 - 01:26 PM.
Moved from XP to Gen Security - Hamluis.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Unsupported operating systems like XP won't be getting patches.

My operating system (OS) is not listed. When can I expect a fix to be released?

Addressing a hardware vulnerability with a software update presents significant challenges and mitigations for older operating systems and can require extensive architectural changes. We are continuing to work with affected chip manufacturers and investigating the best way to provide mitigations, which may be provided in a future update. Replacing older devices running these older operating systems should address the remaining risk along with updated antivirus software.

Note

Products currently out of both mainstream and extended support will not receive these OS updates. We recommend customers update to a supported OS version.

We will not be issuing updates for Windows Vista or Windows XP-based systems including WES 2009 and POSReady 2009.

Although Windows Vista and Windows XP-based systems are affected products, Microsoft is not issuing an update for them because the comprehensive architectural changes required would jeopardize system stability and cause application compatibility problems. We recommend that security-conscious customers upgrade to a newer supported operating system to keep pace with the changing security threat landscape and benefit from the more robust protections that newer operating systems provide.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

Edited by NickAu, 10 January 2018 - 11:32 PM.
Add MS quote

#3 iMacg3

iMacg3
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 915 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for your help NickAu. :)
Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Yup not a chance.

XP is dead still dont why people outside of the private sector use it.

In the words of monty python:

XP's passed on! This OS is no more! It has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!

'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't been using a machine from the early 2000's or learned another OS like linux which isnt that hard to learn 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!
'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig!
'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-OPERATING SYSTEM!!

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 January 2018 - 04:20 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:35 AM

Good chance your processor your processor does not belong to the group that is affected.  I still have a Laptop that will not be affected.  Tons of older equipment will not have to deal with the issue.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users