Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W10 font sizing ???

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

Hi all. Long time ...

I probably canvassed this issue here in another thread about a year ago, but I have more and different issues, so probably best to start another thread.

Does anyone know how I can get display settings to by default, increase font sizes ONLY ?

Yes, I know in 'scale and layout' there is a function to increase to 125%, 150%, etc, however that is NOT what I want - I don't want everything to blow out to a ridiculously large scale .. I ONLY want the fonts.

I seem to recall in previous versions of Windows there was such a facility, and it worked quite well for me. But can't see anything resembling it in W10.

What genius developer in the W10 team decided that upon the advent of W110, peoples eyesight improved by several magnitudes and this was no longer needed by them ???

Yes, I know there are 3rd party applications such as Winaero Tweaker .. I am using it, but it's not that good. And worse, every so often, probably during major W10 updates, the Winaero settings seem to disappear and all fonts (icons, menus, boxes, system, etc) revert back to default .. and I gotta do it all over again ..

This is just pathetic on the part of that which is described as 'the worlds handiest tool' and it is totally unacceptable ..

Are they going to do something about this ? Or have they just decided that everybody's vision is now miraculously equal ???

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Are they going to do something about this ? Or have they just decided that everybody's vision is now miraculously equal ???

Knowing Microsoft, I wouldn't hold my breath. 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

The simplest tool that focuses strictly on font size:  WinTools System Font Size Changer

It was only between 1703 and 1709 that font sizes got reset if you'd set them otherwise before.  The above tool lets you export your choices so that, should this occur again in the future, you can just fire up the tool, reload those, and reapply them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Thanks britechguy. It seems to be quite what I'm after. Have forwarded link to my W10 device and will get it later.

At the moment, I'm just so curious .. I try to see some logic in all things, so this is really bugging me;

WHY did 'the worlds handiest tool' (W10, supposedly)  remove this most essential facility ?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:12 PM

This ability, via Windows itself, has been gone at least since Windows 8, if memory serves.

I have absolutely no idea why a user dialog like the one that had been there in advanced display properties was not carried along.  I work with individuals who are vision impaired through blind, and some of the size and color customizations that used to be a breeze are now much more convoluted.

It was a stupid move, but I have ceased to try to figure out how UI designers arrive at the decisions they arrive at.  I think the entire "flat look" UI trend (which goes far beyond Windows) is an abomination.  It makes visual differentiation between elements much more challenging than when things were represented with dimensionality.

Also be sure to look at all the other tools at the WinTools site.  If you need to change icon spacing, too, the Advanced System Font Changer allows you to do that.  There are lots of handy things on WinTools.  The fact that these tools work means that the registry entries that have always controlled these attributes are still in place, but Microsoft has removed the user interface that allowed one to adjust all of them individually.

Edited by britechguy, 10 January 2018 - 09:22 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Done. Works really well, thanks.

Agree with you on your comments about W10's stupid move. I HATE the flat look on all devices.

JA

#7 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:38 AM

Update .. continuing to use this great tool, however, a problem.

Every so often, perhaps once a week or so, all changes I do disappear and everything reverts back to what I assume is system settings. I then have to go and do it all, all over again.

Any idea why this is so? Could it be because of automatic updates to W10, and if so, who gave W10 permission to repeatedly make my screen difficult for me to see, and ... WHY would they want to be doing it ???

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

jargos,

What you are seeing is not characteristic.

Was your system brought to Windows 10 via upgrade from an earlier version of Windows?  There are often quirks in these systems, particularly ones upgraded from Windows 7.

Also, what Version and Build are you running?  (Hit the Windows Key and immediately type, winver, followed by enter to find out).

I have had a somewhat similar problem on one of my machines where my entire desktop gets rearranged and all icons lined up along the left side.  This, however, appears to happen on earlier versions of Windows on a very small number (overall) of systems and a utility called ReIcon was developed to address it.

Edited by britechguy, 24 February 2018 - 08:51 AM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

Hi britechguy;

The laptop is about 6 months old, and came with W10 fully loaded.

Did the winver thing .. it says ..

version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125)

EDIT;

I should add, I too had the icon rearrangement problem you speak of above, on W7 machines.

This does not seem to be a similar issue though. Nor the icons nor anything else is effected, other than them becoming smaller given the inadvertent change to smaller title font. Everything stays in place though.

Edited by jargos, 24 February 2018 - 07:24 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

jargos,

Then I can't explain it, really.  You are ever so slightly behind as far as patches being applied, as the current Version is 1709 and Build 16299.248

My only theory, and it's just a theory, is that it came with an earlier Version of Windows 10 and the latest feature update had been postponed as many times as possible (or had somehow not downloaded) and was automatically applied.  It still doesn't explain the getting rid of the apps, unless you had a very much earlier version of Windows 10 on the machine, which is possible.  I just acquired two HP laptops in November 2017, and when they arrived both were loaded with Windows 10, Version 1511!!  I went straight from Version 1511 to Version 1709 via Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Edited by britechguy, 24 February 2018 - 07:45 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

By the way, you should still be in your warranty period and you may want to see if you can get an exchange.  If you don't want to do that as the first thing, and if you haven't already taken the time to reinstall all the apps that were purged, you could consider Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10, then seeing if the problem behavior recurs.

These sorts of issues are very difficult to find the cause of, but are sometimes fixed by starting the machine with an entirely fresh copy of Windows 10 (which also allows you to have a bloatware free machine as well).

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

jargos,

Then I can't explain it, really.  You are ever so slightly behind as far as patches being applied, as the current Version is 1709 and Build 16299.248

My only theory, and it's just a theory, is that it came with an earlier Version of Windows 10 and the latest feature update had been postponed as many times as possible (or had somehow not downloaded) and was automatically applied.  It still doesn't explain the getting rid of the apps, unless you had a very much earlier version of Windows 10 on the machine, which is possible.  I just acquired two HP laptops in November 2017, and when they arrived both were loaded with Windows 10, Version 1511!!  I went straight from Version 1511 to Version 1709 via Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Well, thanks for your input anyway.

I haven't a clue about W10 versions or patches .. I have it all on auto updates, etc. So hopefully the patch will happen soon .. though I don't think it will relate to this problem.

Was also thinking if this may be an issue with the tool itself, rather than the OS. Looked around for some field that might denote time frame of changes .. or something .. but could find nothing.

#13 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

By the way, you should still be in your warranty period and you may want to see if you can get an exchange.  If you don't want to do that as the first thing, and if you haven't already taken the time to reinstall all the apps that were purged, you could consider Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10, then seeing if the problem behavior recurs.

These sorts of issues are very difficult to find the cause of, but are sometimes fixed by starting the machine with an entirely fresh copy of Windows 10 (which also allows you to have a bloatware free machine as well).

You may have misread or be confusing me with other contributors.

No apps were purged. Simply, the font sizes keep reverting to what they were prior to changing them with the tool.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,810 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

I am mixing two threads.  My apologies.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

Hi.

I think I inadvertently worked out what the problem is.

Yesterday I accidentally turned off my laptop by holding down the power button, without powering it down properly.

This morning when I turned it on, the fonts were back to the tiny system settings.

So it may be that this is the problem, as I think I've done this before. That being that without proper shut down, the system does not get a chance to register the changes that the font tool must be making every time at start up.

Sounds plausible .. I will report back if this is not the case.

JA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users