Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect Uninstall Did Not Remove Boot Time Menu Option

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Hello All,

After trying out a number of backup solutions with the entire household in mind, and where we need the least complex user interface possible, I ended up going with EaseUS To Do Backup.

One of my machines already had Macrium Reflect installed, and when I did that I elected to install the feature that prompts you at boot time as to whether you want to boot Windows 10 or go directly into Macrium Recovery (which is a really nice option I wish that others offered).  I expected that this would be backed out as a part of the uninstall, but it was not.

If anyone happens to know off the top of their head how I might fix this, please share.  I thought I'd ask here before beginning to do web searches and/or slog through Macrium's support pages or user forums.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

You can reinstall Macrium and then in the options remove the boot menu before uninstalling. I'm not sure it will work but give it a try. Otherwise you may need to rebuild the boot loader.

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic6123.aspx

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,887 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

John,

Thanks.  I find it pretty appalling that this removal would not be automated as part of an uninstall, but it is what it is.  I did notice an XML file in a recovery partition that seems to be related to this feature, but I don't touch/delete things like that unless I'm absolutely certain that it will fix what I wish to fix and that chaos will not ensue.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

JohnC is correct, please reinstall MR, have it remove that boot option, then uninstall MR.  I'm suspecting MR developers "separated" MR software and MR boot option because, well, just because.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.   The reinstall did allow me to undo the addition of Macrium Recovery in the system boot start menu.

~ Mark Twain

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.   The reinstall did allow me to undo the addition of Macrium Recovery in the system boot start menu.

I realize after getting back into MR7 that the option to remove the MR loader was not in there.  I forgot that it was never in there.  Thanks for your followup post, now I know what to advise next time!  For the record, what exactly did you see and exactly what did you do during the reinstall to remove the loader?

Edited by RolandJS, 11 January 2018 - 03:28 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

It's not during the reinstall that one removes the boot menu option, but in Macrium itself after it's been reinstalled.  BTW, since it was Version 6 I believe I had installed based on the setup file that was still on my machine that's what I installed again.

In the Reflect UI itself go to the Other Tasks menu, select Add Recovery Boot Menu Options . . . option, activate No menu radio button, activate OK button. Then exit Reflect and reboot your system to double check that the boot menu option is indeed gone.

~ Mark Twain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users