Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung laptop - hard drive works but won't boot after DIY repair

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Malthus101

Malthus101

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

Samsung NP700Z laptop

Windows 7 Home

8GB RAM

So, a while ago this laptop slid off a chair onto the floor and cracked the back case and the main board/keyboard/palm-rest part.... The screen was fine.

It worked fine but opening and closing the lid put a lot of stress on the hinge area which was broken in places.

The battery was old and useless too, so I decided I would replace the battery, the keyboard part and the back case.

Found the correct parts on eBay, and followed a few YouTube videos.

It was actually pretty straight-forward, put it back together.. and powered up.

Nothing.

The fans were spinning but not the hard-drive as far as I could tell. Black screen. Nothing.

I went and bought an enclosure and tested the drive with my other laptop - it could read it and I backed up the files just in case.

So...... the drive works, the power is powering the fans and power light.. but the hard drive doesn't seem to work anymore in the old laptop.

I've tried  few fixes like holding the power button down for a minute unplugged, using mains power only, trying to attach a monitor to see if it's the laptop screen - nothing works so far.

It just doesn't sound or feel like the laptop is powering up at all when in the old laptop now.

I even tried putting it all back onto the old keyboard part but got the same result - this leads me to suspect I might have damaged the motherboard somehow.

Any ideas guys? My first post here, so thanks........

Malthus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

Open it up again re check all connections, you may have dislodged something.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

Hi Phil

Yes I've taken out all the parts and replaced them several times over now - same issue.

Thanks.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Hi,

Just to say that without the HDD the laptop must start and post with a message "missing boot device" or similar error.

If it doesn't do this then something is wrong with the board or connections.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

Ah, that's interesting - so "something" should appear on screen, even without the hard drive?

Just before I decided to finally fix the thing, last week, as I was opening the screen/lid, the screen would go black, then come back. It made me think that the broken hinge area might be cutting down on a cable or similar... but then it should be fine on an external monitor.

I unplugged the laptop screen and plugged in an HDMI monitor but it said no signal detected.

But maybe that's because the laptop isn't set up to extend onto a second monitor?

Thanks.

PS - someone said it could be the Bios battery? What do you think? (also, this laptop seems to have two round batteries, one glued in near the hinge and one that looks more accessible on the MB. I don't know which is the bios one.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

The battery should not stop it from loading, but can screw up time date and several other things.

#7 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

OK.

I'm in the UK so am going to bed now but tomorrow I will try a sequence of trying to power up with ram removed, then ram back in but hdd removed etc... see if i can isolate the culprit before anything else.

Thanks!

#8 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

Hello

So, nothing is posting. The screen is not coming alive at all. The power is running the fans, that is all, not the hard drive. (maybe it is, it's hard to tell)

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:24 AM

Hi,

Without the RAM the machine produce any beep?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:49 AM

No, I've powered up without battery, without  RAM, without HDD, without CMOS battery....... nothing. Just power light and fans.

Thanks.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:18 AM

The video ribbon may very well be shorting in the hinge area, unplug the ribbon at the board see what happens.

#12 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:24 AM

Hi

I think I already did that, as I unplugged the laptop screen from the motherboard and plugged in an external HDMI hoping it might post to the external instead of internal monitor.

Thanks.

#13 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:39 AM

Question - if I remove the RAM, should something still happen when I power up?

Thanks.

#14 Malthus101

Malthus101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

I tried it with some RAM from another laptop and still nothing.

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Ever since the IBM PC (1982), the BIOS tests for 64 kilobytes of working "scratch" memory, tests the functionality of several key components (interrupt controller, DMA controller, keyboard, and several more), then initializes the video, displays the LOGO or boot messages, and begins to attempt booting.  If anywhere in those initial sequences, something fails, most PC's won't do anything that we can see and it is completely up to the BIOS as to whether or not we get an indicator of what is failing.  Some HP's will sequence the leds in a pattern to tell us what is failing, many Dell's have diagnostic leds on the front or back so you can lookup the pattern and see what failed; but, all too often now, there is nothing.

Take out the wifi card, remove the optical drive if there is one, remove the hard disk drive, put one stick of the original memory in the PC, and pray a little while you turn it on.  If there are any led's on the keyboard or the PC, look at them very closely and, if they flash in a pattern, write it down and post it back.

Otherwise, I think you have a brick.....  Sorry.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users