Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in Attempt to do System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jblitz

jblitz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

Trying to do a system restore on HP Envy Touchsmart Notebook with recovery disks that I made on this Notebook in windows 8.  Subsequently went to 8.1.  The first 3 of the 6 recovery disks works fine.  After many tries, Disk 4 will not boot, leaving me with no choice but to cancel.  That results in "Boot Device Not Found.  Please install an Operating System."  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

it sounds like you have started to re-install windows.....you do realize your files will be lost?

#3 jblitz

jblitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Yes.  I have data files backed up.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

i would just download a windows 8 ISO file and create a bootable install USB stick

#5 jblitz

jblitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thanks.  I was able to restore/reinstall with the ISO file but am now back to where I was before going down this road--apparently in hijack mode.  Can't do much of anything.

#6 jblitz

jblitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

Let me clarify above.  Once I have succeeded in logging in, processing is sometimes ok, sometimes slow.  But whenever I have to restart, which is frequently with the amount of restoration and updating I need to do, it is glacially slow and I usually have to make several attempts.  this is the same as before initial recovery attempt, except that then there were also many other problems, fake BSOD screens and third-party control of the computer, etc.  So maybe the restart problem is a system issue.  Don't know.  Will keep trying.  Thanks for your help..

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Let me clarify above.  Once I have succeeded in logging in, processing is sometimes ok, sometimes slow.  But whenever I have to restart, which is frequently with the amount of restoration and updating I need to do, it is glacially slow and I usually have to make several attempts.  this is the same as before initial recovery attempt, except that then there were also many other problems, fake BSOD screens and third-party control of the computer, etc.  So maybe the restart problem is a system issue.  Don't know.  Will keep trying.  Thanks for your help..

are you saying the computer is slow to boot up after you have freshly installed windows?

f that is the case, your hard drive could be failing.....i would test it using the drive manufacturers software

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

How to do a Windows 8.1 Refresh.

A Refresh basically will reinstall the operating system, this will not affect your personal files if you use the option to save them. The downside is that this will uninstall all of your third party programs you installed. Windows 8.1 will place a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC, I would suggest that you copy this list for a reference when you go to reinstall these programs.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

In Settings click/tap on Recovery, click/tap on Refresh your PC without affecting your files, then Get Started.

You will see a page titled Refresh you PC, click/tap on Next. On the next page click/tap on Refresh.

The computer may turn off and back on during this process, you don't need to do anything. The scan will display a percentage of its completion.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

you can call HP and order recovery disc's for your machine, if it's under warranty they will send them out for the cost of shipping and if it's out of warranty i think there is a small fee + shipping.  out of warranty may be cheaper here:

http://restoredisks.com also have hp recovery cd's availible for $26.99 i believe for most models and brands of computers

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

you can call HP and order recovery disc's for your machine, if it's under warranty they will send them out for the cost of shipping and if it's out of warranty i think there is a small fee + shipping.  out of warranty may be cheaper here:

http://restoredisks.com also have hp recovery cd's availible for $26.99 i believe for most models and brands of computers

Or... they can do as I requested.  The OP doen't need the purchase HP recovery disc, they can make their own.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 jblitz

jblitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

thanks to all.  I was able to recover initially, but it looks like mikey11 is correct.   Did hard drive diagnostic and got failure for short and long DST.  Don't know what that specifically means, but from what I have read, the hard drive is failing.  the computer is out of warranty, but I recently doubled the memory and it is otherwise excellent, so I am inclined to see if replacing the hard drive is feasible for me.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

What diagnostic tool did you run on the hdd?

If you have a log for this scan please post it in your topic.

To confirm that there is or isn't a hdd problem please do the following.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#13 jblitz

jblitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

I ran the internal HP diagnostic.  there is no log, just that the test failed.  I am unable to do anything else with the computer.  It will not restart.  

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

Can you boot into the BIOS?

#15 jblitz

jblitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

No

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users