Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc scannow some corrupt files not fixed?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tomsbc

tomsbc

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Hello,  The corrupt files that were not fixed are in the  cbs.log  but it  is too big to upload here, how can i upload them so you maybe able to tell me how to fix them? Thank You

there in C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.logs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

See:  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Brian,  i ran it and it fixed 89% and gave me this message>>>>>>

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]

© 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

[===========================89.2%===================       ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Tom,

I'd recommend going to the Microsoft link noted and then do some searching here (and on the net) based on what you find.   I have had to specify a source before but it's been so long I do not remember how to do it.  I learned how to do it via a web search which may very well have landed me here on BC for a solution.  I seem to remember something about WIM files or ESD files but I will not even swear to that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

Brian,      Thank you for your honesty, i know what you mean, i have over 7,700 tips in my collection on how to do fix things on a pc. but if you don't do them  in along time you don't  even remember you have the fix. i will do as you suggested and see what happens. Thanks again, Tom

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

There's no point in my pretending that I recall every possible fix I have ever made to every machine I've touched since starting in this business in 1985.

I also think it's important for people to know that most technicians turn to the internet when they encounter issues they cannot solve.  One of the best skills one can ever develop is learning how to use search engines and how to select search terms.   Always start as specifically as you can including terms that will eliminate a lot of garbage posts.  If you don't get enough back, start dropping search terms from your search one at a time, choosing strategically with the one you drop at each step.

One of the reasons I always try to post the solution to my own questions, if I happen to find those on my own and even if that solution is "take a look here," is that it helps future searchers when they encounter the same problem.  I also try to title my topics as specifically as possible as that helps future searchers, too.   Nothing drives me crazier than topics titled something like, "Help me!!!"   There are lots of people who will not even look at those because the "with what" is not specified even vaguely.  Threads with titles such as, "Windows Update error 0x836603c," or "My computer cannot detect my optical drive," gives the potential helper (and also those who cannot help and should skip a topic) guidance before they even get into the message itself.  Your title is also an excellent example of narrowing the problem such that a potential assistant has a good idea of what they're going to be dealing with.  You really help yourself by helping your helper pool.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 drifterramirez

drifterramirez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

Britechguy,

I ran the commands successfully. However after completing RestoreHealth and running ScanNow again, the errors haven't been fixed. RestorHealth says it was successful but ScanNow disagrees.

Any ideas?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

Were I you the next thing I'd try is Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  It looks like you're several versions back, but I can't remember which version corresponds with build 15063 at the moment.

Edited by britechguy, 23 February 2018 - 09:28 AM.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

It's 1703 Brian.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

Thanks.   I looked it up right afterward.  I thought it was more than one Version number back from current, but I was incorrect on that count.  At this juncture if you, for any generic you, haven't been upgraded to Version 1709 it's perfectly OK to resort to the ISO method linked to in my previous post.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

Reset Update Components

Open Notepad and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

Edited by dc3, 23 February 2018 - 10:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Sorry guys it has taken me so long to acknowledge all your great replies, but what happened was, windows 10 did a large up date on this laptop my friend gave me and after an hour long wait, it simply stated updates 100% but with errors(what ever that meant?) the pc would not do anything after that so i restarted and auto repair came up and when completed it said it could not repair what ever happened. so i tried a system restore and it would not restore so i had to reinstall the os from scratch.it seems to be running good now but i have to forget about the sfc scan for now, it no longer is the problem. i will keep in mind all the replies here incase it comes up again. Thank you all for your kind replies. 

btw. is this windows 10 updates crashing someone pc happen often, this is the first time in 18 years this has happened to me. not in love with windows 10?

#13 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Next time that SFC Scannow indicates it has problems, try Sysnative SFCFix.  It can help.  (Had to do this last week.)

Also - when you tried the Restore in Windows, did you try that in Safe Mode rather than Normal?  I have been successful in Safe Mode when it barfed in Normal Mode.  (Had to do that when the latest Feb Updates Borked my Win 7 box.)

#14 tomsbc

tomsbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

Next time that SFC Scannow indicates it has problems, try Sysnative SFCFix.  It can help.  (Had to do this last week.)

Also - when you tried the Restore in Windows, did you try that in Safe Mode rather than Normal?  I have been successful in Safe Mode when it barfed in Normal Mode.  (Had to do that when the latest Feb Updates Borked my Win 7 box.)

I did not know you could run system restore in safe mode, thats good to know..and Thanks for the tip on running  the Sysnative SFCFix. will try it for sure.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

@tomsbc

You can run the Sysnative SFCFix and find out if there is corruption, but you will need to know how to recognize exactly what the corruption is and how to resolve this issue.  If you intend on running this scan I would suggest that you register as a member at the Sysnative website where there are staff members who will help you with this scan and effect a repair.  Just running the scan will not repair any corruption, the log needs to be interpreted and a repair aimed at the specific corruption. 

If you would like to see an example of this use this link to read through a topic using this tool at Sysnative.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users