Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662366/windows-xp-computer-no-longer-recognising-external-hard-drive/ - Hamluis.

Hi guys.

This isn't an old thread so I won't make a new one.

My Windows XP as been giving problems for a couple of months so I thought I would do a quick format and re-install.

I have loads of folders on there so I bought a new Seagate Expansion External hard drive 2TB from Curry's.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/external-hard-drives/seagate-expansion-external-hard-drive-2-tb-black-10127631-pdt.html

My Windows 7 32bit laptop also needs a rebuild with other problems. Windows XP faults couldn't copy the folders over, it copied but the progress bar goes down to 10 seconds ans no further. So my laptop is networked to Windows XP so I copied all folders over which took 6 bleeding hours. They all copied. I copied and tested the new drive It plugs in as normal all folders and files are there.

Anyway I copied all the folders over to the new Seagate 2TB drive. After Windows XP restarts I plug in the new drive to copy all folders back over. The usual popup in task bar new new found installing drives. There was no page saying look at files/folders. I check My Computer and the drive wasn't shown. I have a few external drives so I plugged one of those in. Same popup installing drives and page showing what to do showed.

I checked Device Manager and it listed. I checked Disk Management and the drive shows but there was no drive letter associated. If you right-click on the drive the Change drive letter and paths was greyed out. I put it back in may laptop and changed it to G. I tried it back in XP and its still not recognized. I changed it back to E.

Is there something I'm missing? It can't be a faulty new drive if it shows as normal on Windows 7.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AaDu8xlfp0iniPKPIyTDgsy

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2018 - 12:27 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

Just to confirm, the Seagate drive was never detected by the XP computer, correct? The only thing I can think of is the drive is a GPT disk which XP cannot detect. It may also be an advanced format drive or a 512e emulated drive, another problem for XP.

Attach the drive to the Windows 7 computer. Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column? If not then at the command prompt type:

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <drive letter>:

Look under Bytes per Physical Sector. Does it say 512 or 4096. If it says 4096 it's an advanced format drive which XP cannot detect. If you see 512 the drive could be 512e which emulates 512 bytes per sector. XP has issues with 512e. You may need to check the actual drive model number to determine if it is 512e vs native 512 if the above command shows 512 

Note While not stressed in the preceding table, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2003 R2 do not support 512e or 4Kn media. While the system may boot up and be able to operate minimally, there may be unknown scenarios of functionality issues, data loss, or sub-optimal performance. Thus, Microsoft strongly cautions against using 512e media with Windows XP or other products based on the Windows XP codebase (such as Windows Home Server 1.0, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows XP Embedded, Windows Small Business Server 2003, and Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/advanced-format-disk-compatibility-update

If you need to copy the files back over you may need to boot a live linux disk on the XP computer and transfer then to the XP drive.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

Thank you for the reply JohnC.

On Windows 7 I ran cmd fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo e: its shows:

Bytes per Physical Sector: 512

Your link shows: 512-byte Native, 512n   Reported Logical Sector Size  Reported Physical Sector Size  512 bytes    All Windows versions

I downloaded Seagate DiscWizard and Seagate SeaTools

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/discwizard/

https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

After downloading .NET 4.0 I ran them one showed both drives the main hard drive which is a Seagate and the Expansion which said was NA8FZ9HK. I've searched for this drive type but nothing useful shows. These apps aren't much good in my case as you  DiscWizard would do a backup, partition, disk cloning. SeaTools would run various checks. I tried the Short Drive Self Test, which showed OK. Advanced Tests but that could remove data from the drive, so not much use.

I could network both computers and copy all folders back which will take many hours. The problem it how for I reformat the drive without (GPT Protective Partition) which Windows XP doesn't recognize. I'm sure I done a quick format on other external hard drives in Windows 7 and they all work on Windows XP.

Curry's also sell the same drive as some of my other drives WD Elements External Hard Drive 2 TB 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/external-hard-drives/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-2-tb-black-22087970-pdt.html

On Windows XP I've had a problem when I insert these WD drives. The popup message says Insert the drive into a faster USB port. I have 4 USB ports on my main XP computer and I tried them in all ports but the drive still doesn't show. I plug the same dive in my laptop and it shows. I go back to XP plug it in and it shows.

When I bought this new drive from Curry's I told on of the tech blokes about this problem. He said there is no faster USB ports they are all the same. That's why I when for the Seagate drive instead, its was £10 cheaper now I'm not working.

Keith

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

From your post:

The problem it how for I reformat the drive without (GPT Protective Partition) which Windows XP doesn't recognize

You confirmed the drive is GPT using diskpart > List disk?  The data currently on the Seagate drive is nowhere else? 

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Sorry for the late update as I fixed my new Seagate 2TB drive and I've been installing everything again on Windows XP.

As I said before when I plugged in the drive in Windows 7 Disk Management showed the drive as GTP. I did a screendump an saved the picture for reference. I plugged the drive in the next day and Disk Management didn't show GPT so I did another screendump.

I decided to remove all files I need to my Windows 7 there was enough free space.

I ran cmd diskpart, list disk, select disk 1

clean, create primary partition, select partition 1, active

I tried format fs=ntfs quick but that didn't do anything

I went back to Disk Management and that showed the drive unallocated. I right-click on the drive which brought up add new hardware. Then is showed format the drive. This time it showed format GTP or format MBR. I formatted it MBR.

Its strange that the normal Windows 7 format doesn't show format GTP or MBR when you format 2TB drives.

Anyway I plugged it into Windows XP and the drive shows. So my problem is now solved.

Thanks again for your comments guys.

Keith

#6 alisp

alisp

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

I'm glad yours has been solved, albeit it sounds complicated!  Mine (linked to in the top thread) is still, I suppose, ongoing, although I haven't tried doing anything with it recently on XP - I've copied everything over to the Win 8.1 laptop and backed it up from there.  Your symptoms, in terms of the drive not showing up at all, sound similar to mine: I am still convinced with mine, because of the timing, it being an existing EHD and it happening simultaneously on both XP computers while being perfectly fine on 8.1, that the cause imay at least in part be a Windows security update which took place over the summer, but from what you say it may be more complicated than that.

BTW, I got my new external hard drives from Currys, and they didn't work on XP either, despite what the website says, so thanks for the info about compatibility - I may use it later.

Edited by alisp, 12 February 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

I'm glad yours has been solved, albeit it sounds complicated!  Mine (linked to in the top thread) is still, I suppose, ongoing, although I haven't tried doing anything with it recently on XP - I've copied everything over to the Win 8.1 laptop and backed it up from there.  Your symptoms, in terms of the drive not showing up at all, sound similar to mine: I am still convinced with mine, because of the timing, it being an existing EHD and it happening simultaneously on both XP computers while being perfectly fine on 8.1, that the cause imay at least in part be a Windows security update which took place over the summer, but from what you say it may be more complicated than that.

BTW, I got my new external hard drives from Currys, and they didn't work on XP either, despite what the website says, so thanks for the info about compatibility - I may use it later.

See my post regarding XP and advanced format drives including drives with 512e.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662366/windows-xp-computer-no-longer-recognising-external-hard-drive/?p=4443621

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

I have another similar problem. My good friend has been saying for months he needs to buy another external USB drive for storing useful file. I told him about my problem when I bought 2.0TB Seagate external USB drive. So if you buy one where I had mine from only get a 2.0TB drive as anything bigger isn't recognize on Windows XP. He called over last week with his new drive. I said that's 3.0TB didn't you listen to what I said. He said the 3.0TB wasn't much more. That will cause me problems.

As I did with my 2.0TB drive I formatted it on Windows 7. Disk Management showed the drive as GUID partition table (GPT). When I formatted the 3.0TB it showed normal NTFS. Why the hell did it format NTFS and not GPT with it being a larger drive?

On my 2.0TB drive I right-click on the drive in Disk Management and it shows add new hardware, format drive with and option to format GPT or MBR. I formatted MBR and the drive works in Windows XP. Why doesn't the normal format on large drives give you the option to format GPT or MBR?

Disk Management shows

This 3.0TB Seagate Expansion Disk, properties/volume shows:

Disk: Disk 1
 Type: Basic
 Partition Style: Master Boot record (MBR)
 Capacity: 2861587 MB
 Unallocated Space: 74436 MB
 Reserve Capacity: 0 MB

Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device
 Disk ID: C24E936C
 Type: USB
 Path: 0
 Target: 0
 Location Path: UNAVAILABLE
 Current Read-only State: No
 Hibernation File Disk: No
 Crashdump Disk: No
 Clustered Disk: No

The capacity shows

Capacity: 2861587 MB
Unallocated Space: 74436 MB

If I extend volume the drive trying to add Unallocated Space: 74436 MB it doesn't if only splits the main 2861587 MB drive and adds another drive. The Unallocated Space: 74436 MB stops the same. The same goes for Shrink Volume.

I've tried cmd diskpart

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs quick label=3.0TB

select disk 1

convert gpt

Virtual Disk Service error:
The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertible
If isn't a CDROM or DVD I want to convert its an external USB drive

Is there anyway to add Unallocated Space: 74436 MB to the main drive Capacity: 2861587 MB.

I spoke to my friend last Friday and explained the problem. He said he will take the drive back and exchange it for a 2.0TB drive. I said give me a few more days to see if I can sort this stupid problem. If I can't find a solution then take the dive back.

He said I have another 3.0TB drive that was setup on an old computer and that reads ok. I said your using Windows 7 and 10 so it will show. He couldn't remember which computer operating system it was as it was many years ago.

I said right-click on Computer and select Manage, click on Disk Management with you 3.0TB drive plugged in and see if the capacity shows nearly 3.0TB with no black area showing Unallocated Space.

Keith

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Is there anyway to add Unallocated Space: 74436 MB to the main drive Capacity: 2861587 MB.

Not if the drive is MBR.

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

As I've said:

select disk 1

convert gpt

Virtual Disk Service error:
The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertible
If isn't a CDROM or DVD I want to convert its an external USB drive

Keith

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

As I did with my 2.0TB drive I formatted it on Windows 7. Disk Management showed the drive as GUID partition table (GPT). When I formatted the 3.0TB it showed normal NTFS. Why the hell did it format NTFS and not GPT with it being a larger drive?

NTFS is the file system. GPT is the partition table. You can have a NTFS file system on a GPT or MBR disk

You need to use the convert GPT command after the clean command before doing the partition/format or else you would be creating a MBR partition table by default.

Partition Wizard can also do this. First delete all partitions. Initialize the disk as GPT. Then create a new primary NTFS formatted partition. All steps are virtual in Partition Wizard and will not complete until Apply is clicked.

Partition Wizard also has a convert command that will convert the MBR disk to a GPT disk on a non-system drive. You would still need to resize the partition to the full capacity of the drive after the conversion.

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for Partition Wizard that did convert the drive to GPT which worked. I did extend the drive, The total is 2.73TB split into 1365.5GB and 1360.7GB.

I tried to Convert GPT to MBR.

Minitool Partition Wizard cannot convert this GPT disk to MBR disk.
(partition layout exceed 2TB limit)

The total is 2.73TB split into 1365.5GB and 1360.7GB which each disk in less than 2TB. Obviously it looks at the total drive 2.73TB not at each partition 365.5GB and 1360.7GB. As its still GPT Windows XP won't recognize the drive. So I'm no better of.

o9j1g0.jpg

This is the only forum I use and I use loads. Where you can't copy text from a file into a reply, Right-click and Paste nothing shows. I have to use Firefox to reply.

This happened before I rebuilt my Windows 7 laptop and it the same again now.

Keith

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

Does Crtl + C for copy and Ctrl + V for paste work? Did you want one partition on the disk or was it your intention to use 2 partitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users