Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after windows system restore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Netlot

Netlot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

My PC:Asus x555D
Well i got a problem in windows 10, so I decided to do the system restore, it took the pc like 4 days to complete and when it's complete it just give a black screen, so I decided to turn it off and the Asus logo appears saying:"preparing auto repair" but once again it just give me black screen, at this point I don't know what to do, please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

By "System Restore" are you talking about using the Asus system recovery feature to take your computer back to its "out of the box" state or a Windows System Restore?

I am presuming the former just because of your 4-days observation (which indicates some huge problem in and of itself - a system recovery from the recovery partition should not ever come close to taking that long).

Also, do you have backups of your user data?  If you attempted a system recovery from the recovery partition using the Asus system recovery feature that will wipe everything that was ever on the machine.

What I would do next really depends on whether you are interested in trying to preserve any user data you may not have already backed up or just want to get the computer up and running again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Netlot

Netlot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

It was with the windows one, and I don't care about the data,

Edited by Netlot, 10 January 2018 - 10:33 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,229 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

If you were using any backup software and have a system image from prior to this mess I'd suggest booting from the recovery media for your backup suite and restoring your system image.

If you don't have such, and don't care about your prior user data and/or installed programs and apps, then see:  Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Before doing anything else I suggest you run a full diagnostic on your hard drive. The fact that the restore took four days (and you had an issue that caused you to do the restore in the first place) may indicate a problem with the drive. And please tell us what your original problem was.

Edited by Allan, 10 January 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

Please run SeaTools for DOS.

This scan is run from a bootable disc.  You will need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and make the ssd/hdd the second device.  Remember to press the F10 key to save the changes you made in the BIOS.

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, earlier versions do not have this option.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,229 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

You've received excellent advice from Allan and dc3.

I'm having a bad morning.  One should always eliminate common hardware problems, and hard drives are one of the most common, before contemplating anything further.  That 4 day restore time is a huge red flag that your drive may have gone south.   The good thing is, if it did and since you're not concerned with regard to user data, it's a cinch to reinstall Windows 10 once you have a new one.   Depending on how Asus is putting together their laptops these days installing a new hard drive could take 5 minutes (if there's a door for the drive bay) or several hours (if a tear-down is required as it was on my HP laptop).  You may, of course, find that the drive is fine, so I'm again putting the cart before the horse, but just for the sake of discussion, not direction.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Netlot

Netlot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

If you were using any backup software and have a system image from prior to this mess I'd suggest booting from the recovery media for your backup suite and restoring your system image.

If you don't have such, and don't care about your prior user data and/or installed programs and apps, then see:  Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10

I tried the clean install but when I booted with the drive I got the windows logo and then again the black screen

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

You need to change the device boot order in BIOS. Make sure your CD/DVD drive and/or USB drive is at the top of the list, ahead of your hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users