Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i5 4690k + 1060 6 GB upgrade

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TitanPC

TitanPC

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

Alright so a while ago I asked for thoughts on a CPU upgrade and you guys recommended that I either went for the AM4 platform or just bought a new processor for my current motherboard. I've been looking around and I've found this i5 4690k on second hand in good condition for ~105 $ and also a new 1060 6 GB for ~275 $. So instead of buying an R5 1600, new MBO and RAM for 500 $ I could just go for this cheaper and probably better upgrade since it's a better GPU than the one I have right now. Might not be as good long-term but I think it will satisfy my needs for a few years at least.

My current setup (Prebuilt):
CPU: Pentium Anniversary Edition, G3258 (3,2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
MBO: MSI Z87-G55
RAM: HyperX 2x4096MB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 1033 MHz, 1098 MHz (Boost Clock) 2 GB, GDDR5
PSU: 500W, Cooler Master

So what do you guys think? I really don't wanna pay too much and not see any performance boost. Fast responses are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

Price for CPU is somewhat OK. However $275 for 1060 is way too much I would pay. Video card prices are very high right now so basically there are no good buys.

#3 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Price for CPU is somewhat OK. However $275 for 1060 is way too much I would pay. Video card prices are very high right now so basically there are no good buys.

Really? Thought that this was a good buy since the store price for that GPU is like $400+. Should add that the guy is auctioning it out, it might go up to around $300. Should I go for it? Do you think this will give me better performance over a R5 1600 with 2400 Mhz RAM?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Upgrading to a R5 1600 will get you better multithreaded performance over an i5 4590K.  Both obviously are a long way ahead of the Pentium G3258.  Gaming will probably not be much different between i5-4590K and Ryzen 5 1600 except in the small number of games that use the extra threads/cores.  Buying the Ryzen has the disadvantage of needing to buy a new motherboard and memory.  DRAM is obscenely priced at the moment - even more so than GPU's IMO.  It's up to you whether you want to buy a video card in the current market.  The GTX 1060 will give a large upgrade in performance over the GTX 760.  They are rather more expensive than they were before the GPU mining boom...  The GTX 1060 has got off relatively lightly compared to some other cards like the Radeon RX 570/580.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

If you even consider adding more RAM in the future, go for AM4 now. However as jonuk76 notes, memory prices are simply ridiculous right now.

While GTX1060 didn't get price uplift from crypto mining boom, it can be considered very old card architecture wise and price is also high considering it's mid end card.

Adding all together, wisest option right now would be waiting until prices calm down.

#6 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

How long will it take for the prices to be reduced? And how much cheaper would things become? I'm still tempted by the i5 and 1060 since that would be a huge upgrade from my current setup for a reasonable price of around $400. I really don't need a top of the line PC, just one decent enough to play games at 60+ fps with medium/high graphic settings for maybe 4 years or more.

#7 RecursiveNerd

RecursiveNerd

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

It's nearly impossible to speculate how long it will take for GPU and RAM prices to come back down to a reasonable level. Some sources indicate that RAM prices are increasing because more and more of it is being used in smartphones, which is lowering the supply for PC RAM modules.

As for graphic card prices, it's hard to say. Something has to give. Graphic card prices are so high because of the popularity of cryptocurrency mining for currencies that are ASIC-resistant, such as Ethereum. The only way I see prices lowering is that ASIC-resistant currencies drop so much in value that there isn't any profit for mining them (i.e. cost of maintenance and electricity put in to get the currency is greater or equal to the currency value).

What types of games do you play? If you can give us a general list, I'm sure we can find a suitable card that may be cheaper. With that said, 4 years is a long time to go without upgrading - you can do this if you only play older titles, but if you plan on keeping up with newer titles as they are released, you will eventually need to upgrade the card again.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

I dunno i think I will go against the grain and say that $275 for a GTX 1060 is fine especially for the 6GB model

I would go for it, sure its going to replaced here soon but at the same time it is still a good GPU if you want to start gaming and have some fun right now.

Upping the processor for me is a bit silly as the i5 really is usesless now that Ryzen is out and can offer you something better.

In any case wait another month as the Ryzen 5 2400G will come out and decide, if you dont feel the GPU is right just go onboard graphics for a bit until new GPU's come out

Onboard vega APU's are said to be as powerful as a GTX 1030 not too shabby, sure not that good at gaming but it is something

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Upping the processor for me is a bit silly as the i5 really is usesless now that Ryzen is out and can offer you something better.

If the focus is gaming then with the majority of current games the i5 will be pretty much as good as the Ryzen IMO.  And a clear upgrade over the G3258 which despite it's potential high clock speed will struggle on games which run better on 4 cores.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

True but when a better option is out there i say why not, but in terms of the GPU I say the price of that 1060 is reasonable.

My 1060 was around that same price, maybe a $10 difference right now thanks to miners but its fair enough.

The MSRP for the 1060 6GB is about $240 or so so its not that far off the mark.

Its not like what happened in July of last year when miners drove the cost up to about $600

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 January 2018 - 12:13 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

It's nearly impossible to speculate how long it will take for GPU and RAM prices to come back down to a reasonable level. Some sources indicate that RAM prices are increasing because more and more of it is being used in smartphones, which is lowering the supply for PC RAM modules.

As for graphic card prices, it's hard to say. Something has to give. Graphic card prices are so high because of the popularity of cryptocurrency mining for currencies that are ASIC-resistant, such as Ethereum. The only way I see prices lowering is that ASIC-resistant currencies drop so much in value that there isn't any profit for mining them (i.e. cost of maintenance and electricity put in to get the currency is greater or equal to the currency value).

What types of games do you play? If you can give us a general list, I'm sure we can find a suitable card that may be cheaper. With that said, 4 years is a long time to go without upgrading - you can do this if you only play older titles, but if you plan on keeping up with newer titles as they are released, you will eventually need to upgrade the card again.

Will mostly play shooters like PUBG, CS:GO and upcoming Battlefield games and stuff. Might play open world games as well. I feel like the 1060s performance/price ratio good enough for me and well-balanced for my needs. I don't wanna go with a too cheap GPU since I want this upgrade to last for a while.

Edited by TitanPC, 10 January 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

Well if you are concerned about obsolescence you could go for the 1050Ti

Its a very good budget GPU and is around its MSRP

Same with the 1050 really, PUBG and CS:GO should run fine even on a gpu of that price range though the 1050Ti is more worth your time

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 January 2018 - 12:30 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I dunno i think I will go against the grain and say that $275 for a GTX 1060 is fine especially for the 6GB model

I would go for it, sure its going to replaced here soon but at the same time it is still a good GPU if you want to start gaming and have some fun right now.

In any case wait another month as the Ryzen 5 2400G will come out and decide, if you dont feel the GPU is right just go onboard graphics for a bit until new GPU's come out

Onboard vega APU's are said to be as powerful as a GTX 1030 not too shabby, sure not that good at gaming but it is something

Didn't you say that the price was too high a few posts ago? What made you change your mind? 

The reason that I don't wanna go for Ryzen right now is because of what you guys said with the ridiculous prices of RAM and the fact that I have to get a new MBO as well. I mean I've found some good prices on second-hand and the minimum cost for a CPU, MBO and RAM upgrade would be about $500. But I don't even feel like that's gonna give me a decent performance boost in games though which feels like a waste of money. I'd have to buy a new GPU which would set me at like $800 which is a bit too much.

#14 TitanPC

TitanPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Well if you are concerned about obsolescence you could go for the 1050Ti

Its a very good budget GPU and is around its MSRP

Same with the 1050 really, PUBG and CS:GO should run fine even on a gpu of that price range though the 1050Ti is more worth your time

The 1050 is out of question since it doesn't or barely outperforms my 760.

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Didn't you say that the price was too high a few posts ago? What made you change your mind? 

Wasnt me, I didnt post anything until Post #8

Anyhow if you want performance gains and want something better than the 1060 is for you

Keep in mind however RAM prices will drop sooner or later so i would just focus on the GPU.

Stick with your Pentium its okay for now and wait for RAM prices to drop.

I mainly suggest getting the GPU now as they are always fluctuating so if you can make a score now go for it.

I know others said not to get it but I say to heck with that as never know when miners will want GPU's again and there are rumors that GPU prices will rise soon.

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 January 2018 - 12:39 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users