Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Pro Configuration Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:16 AM

The problem is that since I purchased ZA Pro my wifes games ( primarily Pogo ) will not download. She just plays online games. If I turn on the Windows firewall and turn off ZA everything works fine. I've tried changing a few settings here and there - one at a time then putting it back where it was. There is so much there I've become a bit overwhelmed and thought I better stop and ask for more help at this point.

I almost forgot to mention what actually occurs. When I attempt to download a game the screen just "sits there" for a few minutes then I get an error message that says " java not working or not found ". But apparently it's working fine because the games load quickly using Windows firewall.

Thank you - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:50 PM

Open ZoneAlarm's user interface. Click on the privacy tab on the left, then click on the Sites tab on the upper right. Scroll to the website the game comes from, then right click on that site. You will see a small window pop-up with three tabs. Click on the Mobile Code tab. At the very least, for the games to work you will have to uncheck the box by Block embedded objects [java, ActiveX]. You may have to clear other check marks in this tab. Experiment and find out.

Hope this helps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

All boxes are un-checked - actually I tried that earlier, got frustrated, and posted. Any more ideas please?--- thanks - Keith

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

Two thoughts:

1) You may need to clean your browser cache and history in order for the setting changes in the firewall to take place. You may even need to close the browser and reopen it.

2) It is possible that the game is actually installed from more than one website, which would require having mobile scripts allowed for those sites as well.

To see if this is the case, go to the main tab on the privacy section, Open the privacy settings window and make sure privacy advisor has a check by it. Open only the website for the game page: Don't confuse things by opening other pages. When you open the game page, every time the advisor alert comes up, click on click here for details which will lead you to the blocked site in your ZoneAlarm list. Make notations of which site is blocked, and keep pouncing on all the alerts. This way you will be able to find out how many sites are involved. When the page quits loading, make changes in the mobile code permissions for the sites privacy advisor led you to. This was how I finally managed to solve a problem I had in downloading McAfee Site Advisor.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 September 2006 - 11:15 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

Orange Blossom - sorry about the delayed reply. I just haven't had the time to try your suggestions, I will surely try them as per your instructions in the morning and post back the results- Thank You - Keith

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

I would like to add that you may have to go through step 2 a few times as it is possible that earlier blocking in the process of downloading the site may prevent the next stage from downloading which might be from a different site.

An analogy: Part A is blocked. Because A is blocked B doesn't start, thus you don't know about B, C, D, E and F. Once A is cleared, then B starts. Once it is cleared perhaps D, E, and F all start at once. There are many different combinations of possibilities.

Orange Blossom

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

Orange Blossom - I went through the process twice and have everything that showed up related to Pogo on allow but it still won't work.

Something interesting - I tried to download the "advanced browser" but got an error message " http 403 forbidden" Turned on Windows firewall - turned off ZA and the same link loaded and installed just fine.I don't know if this information is related but thought it might help.

Any more ideas I might try? thanks - Keith

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:44 PM

Introduction

Your Web server thinks that the HTTP data stream sent by the client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) was correct, but access to the resource identified by the URL is forbidden for some reason.

This indicates a fundamental access problem, which may be difficult to resolve because the HTTP protocol allows the Web server to give this response without providing any reason at all. So the 403 error is equivalent to a blanket 'NO' by your Web server - with no further discussion allowed.

Okay, I think that this error code is indeed related to your problem. I suspect that there is an application or program that needs access to the internet and that it is currently blocked. Unfortunately, I am not able to troubleshoot further on this as I don't do on-line gaming, and for me to experiment with it is out of the question for me on a dial-up not to mention it is against my ISP policies.

That said, the answers to the following questions should help identify the problem:

What browser are you using and what version?

What operating system do you use?

What kind of internet connection do have?

Do you get error codes like this for other sites? If so, which ones?

Hopefully there is someone else here that uses ZoneAlarm and does online gaming that can help you out.

I just had a thought for something you can try: I'll write up the directions later after I get home and I have ZoneAlarm available.

Orange Blossom

#9 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

Ok - here's additional information which will hopefully help.

- I use IE7 for my browser. One thing I did try was to uninstall IE7 and try using IE6 but the same results occured. So I went back to IE7.
- I have Windows XP Home - SP2 for my operating system.
- My internet provider is broadband cable ( Roadrunner ).
- I have had no other error messages.
- When I used Windows firewall or ZA free I had no problems.

I use AVG free for my anti-virus program.
I use Adaware SE, Spybot and Spywareblaster for my anti-spyware purposes.
I have my browser set to delete temp internet files upon exit, keep my recycle bin clean, and check to see if defrag is needed.

Maybe more info than you need, but I want to help as much as possible. Please feel free to ask for any info and I am looking forward to your reply. Thank You ---- Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users