Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WPA3 Roll out?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:34 AM

With the up coming roll out of WPA3 will current routers be up gradable to the new standard. or will it be anyones guess?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

From this article, "It is not yet clear if new hardware will be required to implement the protections of WPA3 —but it seems probable. Hardware must be certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance to use WPA3."

I don't know how many companies will go through the hassle of having old hardware certified.  So, while it may be possible to do WPA3 on old hardware with a firmware update it may not be certified.

Since I have an eero G1 system, I hope they will take the necessary steps to implement.  However, since the connecting device will also have to support it, I don't see using it at home in the near future as I'm not updating the 25+ devices on my network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users