Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash drive letter problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:52 AM

I have only C: and D: DVDRW on my laptop. When I inserted my USB flash drive it was Drive E:.
The flash drive was in GPT format because Rufus installation media had been on the disk. So I used diskpart to clean the disk and successfully converted it back to MBR. I then went to Disk Management and the disk showed unallocated space as expected after cleaning the disk. The former Drive letter E: was obviously not showing on the unallocated disk space but it was showing on the Disk button at the far left i.e Disk 1 Removable media drive E: . So I clicked on the unallocated space to create a new simple volume. The drive letter option that the New Simple Volume Wizard gave me was F: so I just took it and formatted etc.
After it had finished it showed the new volume was drive F: which is supposed to be not a fixed letter but a dynamic letter ..right? I thought if you took whatever letter the Simple Volume Wizard recommended that it would be a dynamic letter not fixed?
I took out the flash drive and reinserted it expecting to see that Windows would have dynamically assigned it with Drive E: because like I said I only have C: and D: This didn't happen, it has kept the drive letter F: I don't understand why?

Edited by sportsfan1, 10 January 2018 - 03:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

I have only C: and D: DVDRW on my laptop. When I inserted my USB flash drive it was Drive E:.
The flash drive was in GPT format because Rufus installation media had been on the disk. So I used diskpart to clean the disk and successfully converted it back to MBR. I then went to Disk Management and the disk showed unallocated space as expected after cleaning the disk. The former Drive letter E: was obviously not showing on the unallocated disk space but it was showing on the Disk button at the far left i.e Disk 1 Removable media drive E: . So I clicked on the unallocated space to create a new simple volume. The drive letter option that the New Simple Volume Wizard gave me was F: so I just took it and formatted etc.
After it had finished it showed the new volume was drive F: which is supposed to be not a fixed letter but a dynamic letter ..right? I thought if you took whatever letter the Simple Volume Wizard recommended that it would be a dynamic letter not fixed?
I took out the flash drive and reinserted it expecting to see that Windows would have dynamically assigned it with Drive E: because like I said I only have C: and D: This didn't happen, it has kept the drive letter F: I don't understand why?

You can use Rufus to change the drive to what ever name you like, Re-format the drive and instead of giving the drive a letter F change it to E.

Personally I don't think about usb drive letters and names, as long as it works it does not bother me

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

You can also assign a different drive letter from within Disc Management.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Most Windows computers I've worked on also "remember" what drive letter they assigned to a given flash drive over time, even if it was dynamically assigned to begin with.   You can test this out by plugging in several brand new flash drives in your various USB ports at one sitting and then make a note of which one got assigned what drive letter.  Pull all of them and then plug in the one of your choosing and it will probably get the same dynamic letter that it had been assigned, even if there are "lower letters" that could have been assigned first.

I never care what drive letter happens to be assigned to a flash drive.

Edited by britechguy, 10 January 2018 - 09:34 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Check disk mgmt to see if E is assigned to something. If it's not, then change the USB's F to E. It should stick.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:04 AM

Check disk mgmt to see if E is assigned to something. If it's not, then change the USB's F to E. It should stick.

Thanks Frank for your help

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:07 AM

Most Windows computers I've worked on also "remember" what drive letter they assigned to a given flash drive over time, even if it was dynamically assigned to begin with.   You can test this out by plugging in several brand new flash drives in your various USB ports at one sitting and then make a note of which one got assigned what drive letter.  Pull all of them and then plug in the one of your choosing and it will probably get the same dynamic letter that it had been assigned, even if there are "lower letters" that could have been assigned first.

I never care what drive letter happens to be assigned to a flash drive.

Once again mate..very informative and helpful information. I understand now how it works. Many Thanks

Edited by sportsfan1, 11 January 2018 - 01:07 AM.

#8 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

You can also assign a different drive letter from within Disc Management.

Hi Allan, Thanks for your assistance 

#9 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:09 AM

You can use Rufus to change the drive to what ever name you like, Re-format the drive and instead of giving the drive a letter F change it to E.

Personally I don't think about usb drive letters and names, as long as it works it does not bother me

Thanks Joe for your advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users