Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help- re Computer Upgrade windows 8.1 to 10 or New

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shaytala

shaytala

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:13 AM

Last 2 computers Acer Aspire.laptop 15"..loved them..  Now may be going belly up.  Getting 2" of white across bottom when I open it.

Bought an HP model 15AC132DS.  Big mistake...slowest ever.  Have to beat touch pad with a hammer to have it do anything, 2 or 3 times to open an email, pad is so slick cursor never seems to activate.  

Have a Dell 17" made in 2013....empty and probably used 15 times...friends husband passed away.  It's 8.1 Windows.   Pulled it out last night and pad and cursor like getting in a Cadillac after the HP...

I've just purchased Microsoft Office Pro and Quickbooks as I have business from home and spend lots of hours on computer each day.  Do fair amount of research on internet.   Don't need  anything for fast gaming.   

Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10?    Being illiterate in this area it occurred that maybe the guts of the Dell being 4 years old...could be problems even though computer not used.   

Comments/suggestions please.  I'm out of my league.   I'm going to look into the Acer but if Dell upgrade makes sense I will attempt that.

Thanks in advance for advice/comments/pitfalls etc.   Also what are a few good choices for basic, FAST, hardworking laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

The HP you complain about is, in today's world, the Yugo among Camaros as far as a processor goes (any Pentium is slow now) so it's no surprise you've had issues.

The question is:  What is your intended use for the machine?   Virtually anything can handle web browsing, e-mailing, word-processing and other office suite work, and similar with ease.

If you already have the Dell there's certainly almost zero risk involved in trying to do the upgrade under the Windows 10 Upgrade for Assistive Technology Users before it runs out in eight days (as of this writing).   You should definitely get yourself an external backup drive and take a full system image backup of the existing Win8.1 installation before doing this then, if the upgrade works [and it should], taking a full system image backup of the Win10 installation as soon as you've had a chance to go through settings and customize them as you want them.

It's very difficult to give anything other than general advice without model numbers (like you gave for the HP) with regard to the Dell.   Anything that shipped with Windows 8.1 should be able to handle Windows 10 quite well, though.  I, myself, had a much, much older Dell Inspiron 1720 (built in the early 2000s) that came with Windows Vista that handled Windows 10 well *except* for the mousepad.   I tried and tried to find any driver that would work with Windows 10 for that box and eventually gave up and converted it to a Linux box because none could be found.   Yours, being much newer, is not likely to have that issue.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

For the dell it would be a good idea to up to windows 10 due to the support window of windows 8/8.1

For the HP, eh get a semi decent mouse on it and pop linux on it or something, quckbooks and office may not run directly in linux but you can use office and quickbooks online via the web browser and use it as a backup as linux is good at that sort of thing.

as for that acer again you may wish to try linux or something on it, may be dying but hey doesnt hurt to try linux on it.

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 January 2018 - 02:42 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

Thank you all so much....for your responses.   I've been overwhelmed this week with troubleshooting internet provider issues AND messing with 3 computers, Acer Aspire V3 571 9646 (dying but I love it) , HP purch 4/16 model 478-565...purch from shopping channel --cannot find specs on the internet...but even tho I updated it to windows 10, and adjusted the mouse pad settings (which I totally use) it is just near impossible to get the cursor to perform...won't move half the time and won't respond to a "tap".   I actually plan to call HP direct.  I have a wifi mouse somewhere which I will put with it also---and use simply as a back up computer.

So,  I've spent more time on the Dell. I may be evolving.  I now like the 17" screen even tho it weighs more.  Mouse pad works perfect.  I upgraded to Windows 10.  Installed Microsoft Pro and planning to put Quickbooks on today. 

Dell model which I just looked up is DELL INSPIRON 17R - 5721 HAS I5 PROCESSOR.

Hope this Dell is good for me for couple of years.   I've removed programs I don't want on it.  Comments would be appreciated on the strengths/weaknesses of this computer----ie what I should be cautioned about never having been in this spot before...in other words should I prepare to get back in the market for a newer computer even though this one is new in the sense it was never used?

Thanks again,

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

The dell is fine, sure is a older processor (third generation of intels i5 line) but its not too bad in performance.

If it does bog down consider a solid state drive :D

as for your Acer Aspire V3 571 9646 what is its issue may I ask? It may be possible to save it.

I mean if its a battery issue well those can be replaed second hand

Hard drive issue? again it can be replaced

Screen issue? use it as a desktop if it has a VGA port

Keyobard and mouse? get external ones.

As for that HP again it looks like its a perfect candidate to try linux on.

Linux might actually turn that machine around and actually make it decent to work with.

Linux is a alternate OS, it wont replace windows but it can do most of the same functions.

Linux is one of the worlds best kept secrets to the non tech world, you dont see too many commercials for it nor do you see it hardly ever mentioned on the side of a box.

But linux is at the heart of a lot of the best tech out there, a lot of routers use it, android is based on it as are Chromebooks, Amazon fire devices and Roku's.

For that machine it will be better off trying something lighter to see if that will help, I recommend in this case Ubuntu MATE

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Ubuntu MATE initially looks quite different then windows but it is very easy once you get used to it, only a small learning curve is needed to use it.

I normally recommend Linux Mint for windows users as it comes with a very windows like interface and installing codecs for media playback (dvd's, mp3's and other audio/video formats) is usually easy on it but it may not be the best option here.

Ubuntu MATE can do most of that anyhow.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for that wonderful load of information.   At this point the Dell is the one I've put in place, adding Microsoft Pro and Quickbooks as well as some other programs that I work with.  

The hard part about moving to a new computer is like a house....you know where everything was "at your fingertips" at the old place.....and since moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 itself is a big change to get used to just getting around in it....I've probably "over backed up" on my external hard drives so I can find what I need in the files I've carefully labeled there!!

Everything on the Dell is working well thus far..........fast enough for me......now spoiled by the 17" screen....can send and receive mail and printer works.    

Life is pretty good!!

Thanks again.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Windows 10 isnt that bad, used windows 7 here for a while and while there are some differences its not too different.

The only thing i dont like is cortana and its integration into the OS.

Then again i am a linux user so adaptability is a part of the game with that.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

Realized I didn't answer your questions....

The acer several years old.....having lots of spooler problems for several months......new Epson printer....they say its the acer.    The screen started about 2 months ago having a 2 inch cloud like white across the bottom when I opened the computer.....it would take about 30 seconds for that to slowly clear on the screen so you could see my task bar at the bottom.   In the past week....the screen is now about half covered in white when I open it.

As of last night did final transfer of all my documents for a 2nd time on a separate EXHD.

I also did a lot of research last night on the Dell and even tho it is older than the HP....after talking with HP couple of days ago I guess I got just a mediocre computer which is how they labeled it.

I will give that Linux and the other you mentioned a try on the acer.   

Thanks!!

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Well if the screen is going bad the acer still may have life just got to get a monitor/TV for it and not use it as a laptop.

It seems to have a HDMI port could turn it into a cool HTPC if you wanted.

Get a wireless keyboard and mouse, hook it up to the TV, pop linux on it and it may live again :D

I mean you can check to see if the laptop will work when hooked up to the TV if you have HDMI.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 January 2018 - 06:09 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users