Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect desktop to TV

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lindafran

lindafran

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

I have a desktop that I want to connect to a TV by a cord. I want to be on the computer doing other things but be able to watch the tv at the same time. My questions:

1. I want to connect the computer to the TV by a cord. Is this all I need?

2. Do I need anything else to have sound?

Any other information would be appreciated. Please note I do not want to use Wi-Fi or streaming, just a cord. 

Edited by hamluis, 10 January 2018 - 07:44 PM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

If you have an HDMI port on your desktop, use an HDMI cord. It will carry the audio/visual. The TV will then act as a monitor and will be able to mirror or extend your desktop depending on what you want it to do.

When you say you want to be able to watch TV and be on the desktop at the same time, do you mean on the same TV?

#3 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

If you have an HDMI port on your desktop, use an HDMI cord. It will carry the audio/visual. The TV will then act as a monitor and will be able to mirror or extend your desktop depending on what you want it to do.

When you say you want to be able to watch TV and be on the desktop at the same time, do you mean on the same TV?

Thank you for your helpful reply. I want to be able to be online looking at my computer monitor and at the same time looking at the TV across the room. The TV would have say news on. I would be online doing emails and surfing the web. Can this be easily done?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

It's still not clear how you want it to work.

I'm doing what you describe now, I am online looking at my computer monitor, and watching my TV across the room, showing news. There's no need to have a connection between the two.

Please explain what it is about your particular setup that means it doesn't work the way you want it to.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

I was asked if I would be doing both computer viewing and tv viewing on the same tv. I will not. As indicated above I want to see my computer monitor and tv at the same time. The issue for me now is, how do I get two different screens, i.e., one on the monitor showing my email box and one on the TV showing the news?

Also, my computer does not have HDMI, only 2 display ports, vga, ubs, 1 Ethernet. Are the display ports like the HDMI in that they carry both video and sound?

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2018 - 10:58 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:56 AM

Where is the TV signal coming from? Do you have a TV tuner card in the computer?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Where is the TV signal coming from? Do you have a TV tuner card in the computer?

I do not know. Do I need when to watch what's on my computer? The picture is fine on my computer. I just want to watch it on the TV across the room at the same time I'm doing computer stuff. Is it possible to do both? How?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

I'll tell you this...I can watch TV on my computer monitor...at the same time that I am doing something else on the computer...because I have a capture card installed on my system...that allows me to watch TV or record from TV...while doing other tasks on my computer.

I don't know anything about "smart TVs" and whether you could do something like PinP while using said "smart TV" as the computer monitor.  I would think not, but I've been wrong before.

Louis

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:29 AM

Some Display ports carry sound, some do not - depends upon the PC in question (e.g I have old Dell OptiPlex 760 which has no sound on DisplayPort & a newer OptiPlex 9020 which does have sound on the DisplayPort).

Your computer has VGA & DisplayPort connections - but what connections does your TV have??

#10 lindafran

lindafran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

I have a desktop computer with an HDMI port and a TV with an HDMI port. I would like to simply buy a cable and connect both. Will I then be able to watch what is on my computer screen on the TV?

I would like to be able to watch TV but still be able to do other things on the computer at the same time. Is there a way to do this? Like a partition or something?

Edited by Platypus, 14 January 2018 - 05:25 AM.
Merged second topic with existing topic here.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Most TV's have multiple HDMI ports and you would switch the input (using the remote?) to change where the TV's information comes from.

If your PC supports both the HDMI output and the one you are using, then yes that should work, too.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users