Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows Defender Good Enough?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

I have recently switched from Bitdefender to Windows Defender Because of problems I have been having since Windows Creator Update 1709, it was simply not possible for me to run Bitdefender anymore. :crazy:

My security setup is this: Windows Defender+Malwarebytes Premium+HitmanPro+Voodoo-Shield(currently Free Version(not for long) & Heimdal Pro.

Is this sufficient or what, please respond :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Windows 10 Defender is Microsoft's free built-in (integrated) anti-virus and anti-malware solution which provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits. Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. The key word being "free". If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.

Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update, Windows Defender is called Windows Defender Antivirus...it includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity. Windows Defender Antivirus Creators Update is also compatible with any third-party anti-virus.

Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Windows Defender Antivirus includes Exploit Guard with four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in malware attacks before any damage can be done. Windows Defender EG is intended to replace Microsoft’s EMET which was confusing to novice users and allowed hackers to bypass because the mitigations were not durable and often caused operating system and application stability issues as explained here.

If you are also using Malwarebytes Premium then I see no need to use HitmanPro.

I have read several reports of third-party anti-virus software being turned off after folks installed the last two Creator updates so I suspect the issues with Bitdefender may be an issue related to Defender.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

i used to preach AVG.....but i scrapped it about a year ago and have been using defender......all is good here, i dont miss all of the annoying AVG pop ups either

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hi, isaccasi!

I would recommend adding CryptoPrevent Free, SpywareBlaster Free, Unchecky (Free) and WinPatrol Free / PLUS (the PLUS version is a one-time cost, although fully optional).

They each provide different functions than traditional anti-virus/anti-malware programs and are compatible with your other multi-layered security programs.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

isacasi is already running WD, MB3, VS,  Hitman and Heimdal and you want him to add 4 more programs? IMO it would be a nightmare scenario, too many programs fighting each other, more is not always better, it some cases worse. I would suggest that he run WD and VS and only one of MB3, Heimdal or Hitman, in my opinion this would provide more than adequate protection if he is a safe surfer.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi, digmor crusher!

Most, if not all the programs that I recommended, focus on passive protection and are as such neither intrusive nor memory-hogging.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 January 2018 - 12:12 PM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

I preach a fully updated Windows 10,Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Paid, Firefox or Chrome with a good properly AD blocker and of course doing monthly image backups with Macrium Reflect to an external drive which is only plugged in during the backup process and then disconnected. :thumbup2:  

#8 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Hi, digmor crusher!

Most, if not all the programs that I recommended, focus on passive protection and are as such neither intrusive nor memory-hogging.

Regards,
midimusicman79

:thumbup2:

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:54 PM

I preach a fully updated Windows 10,Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Paid, Firefox or Chrome with a good properly AD blocker and of course doing monthly image backups with Macrium Reflect to an external drive which is only plugged in during the backup process and then disconnected. :thumbup2:  

i agree....good advice :thumbup2:

#10 santiano

santiano

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:36 AM

I have recently switched from Bitdefender to Windows Defender Because of problems I have been having since Windows Creator Update 1709, it was simply not possible for me to run Bitdefender anymore. :crazy:

My security setup is this: Windows Defender+Malwarebytes Premium+HitmanPro+Voodoo-Shield(currently Free Version(not for long) & Heimdal Pro.

Is this sufficient or what, please respond :guitar:

I think packed with Windows Defender + Malwarebytes or HitmanPro will fulfill the need. You can either choose Malwarebytes or HitmanPro for malware removal program. But, one thing I was thinking of any total security program which alone will serve the requirement with AV, Anti-malware, Firewall like that. I don't have much idea of that.

#11 ciderZA

ciderZA

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:12 AM

To be fair, this is a loaded question. You can have the best AV in the business but still fall prey to malware, nothing is 100%. I would focus more on good internet habits and using a standard user VS an admin user. This will help you more now and forever. 

Windows defender is fine if you practice these habits. 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

Yes. As I have said before...No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software. Cyber-criminals succeed because they take advantage of human weaknesses...relying heavily on social engineering to exploit that weak link in the security chain.

Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense. Security begins with personal responsibility and includes a comprehensive approach. Common sense, safe browsing habits, understanding security and following Best Practices for Safe Computing are all essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. That includes educating oneself as to the most common ways malware infection is delivered and propagated.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users