Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone meddling with my account, blocking comments

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Don't move this to the infection forum. My problem is meddling with my account on just one site.

I've been a regular DailyKos reader and participant. Several months ago, I discovered I was blocked from commenting. I wondered why, because I've done nothing to merit this.

So I tried to contact DK, but the pages I went to to do this blocked me from sending any message to them. Neither Firefox nor Chrome can reach them.

Now I know it was done maliciously, but maybe not by DK, unless they had an unrecognized troll on their staff. It was done because somebody didn't like what I wrote, so I'd be muzzled. And it worked. I can log on and read, but not comment.

I simply want to ask DK WHY my account has been blocked from commenting, and what can be done to reinstate it. Since I can't contact them, is there another way it can be done? I'm at least entitled to hear what they have to say about this. Sites don't block people without giving them a  reason and an opportunity to appeal the decision.

If someone at your end can make the inquiry, the logon name is fastermx. I have an account on Yahoo by that same name. My POP3 account has been made inaccessible, so they can only reach me at the Yahoo account, which I think is the one they have.

Edited by faster, 09 January 2018 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

Have you tried to make contact via the Daily Kos Facebook page?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

There's also https://helpdesk.dailykos.com/ 

If push came to shove creating a new userid just to make your query is an option.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

There must be a huge tantrum among Trump and Republicans. They really hate Rachel Maddow. I clicked  the helpdesk link and it wouldn't load. I n oticed a bunch of characters following the "com" and deleted them. Got it.

With little hope, I tried the Daily Kos facebook page, which got me to the page, but there was no way to contact them. I absolutely NEVER use social media, nor do I EVER conduct anything financial online. Bummer, but both have been obviously unsafe for a long time.

alas, I had the same problem with the helpdesk page as I did when I tried to contact them before.Whether I'm logged on or not, I must log on at the top of th e helpdesk page to write a message. Clicking log on gets me to their main news page. That happened last time I tried to contact them.

I'd like to hire an attorney to contact them for me! But is it possible for someone at your end to have them contact me at the Yahoo address? They've blocked every avenue I can take. It's likely in my browser, but Chrome has the same problem.If you can get through to DK, could you please have them contact me?

FYI:

This is by no means the only way I'm being blocked. You probably can't help with these, but I'm describing them in case you get someone else with the same problems.

It seems they have access to my whole PC and to know everything I do. I'm often asked by ZA to allow a Consent UI to open at startup, but it's bad. I get popups when I save things. Many kinds of host files are certainly parts of this attack, but I can't tell which. They can use a legitimate host file like svchost, but they use it for THEIR purposes. I have to dig into the system to get answers about a file asking for access, and often they don't even exist. They like to knock WinPatrol from my startup files, but if I try to put it into the Start Menu, I am asked as administrator to open it, and when i do, I get another popup saying I have no permission:They have a cute little trick that pre-loads "Unknown Network" as I am shutting down, so that's the only network I can use when I boot up. The things I can do to change it simply don't function. I got past that one by not shutting down properly, just turning off the PC. If I do that, the instruction can't be given, and my real network name loads. Scanners found nothing about it. They're also able to turn off my network adapter, usually for over an hour, then it's connected again. They can turn off my PC, too. I have many files from the infected Avast I installed, and my own computer denies me permission to access them, and I can't delete or shred them - "in  use." Can't delete anything in registry, or even using the command line. That tells me there are real pros messing with my PC. I did erase a lot of files, but these problems block me from deleting the rest. Then, soon after that, MORE files have been added.

I could reformat C and move everything onto another disk, but I'd probably be moving the criminal stuff, too. Besides, if they got in past ZA and antivirus, they can do it again easily. They've even messed with ZA - seems they like to take the name of a program i've used recently, and then some kind of host file pops up asking for permission to load at startup or access Explorer.. I've had to "kill" many such items in the program list of ZA, but others keep popping up. All 3 browsers block the site of www askrachel.com; somebody must really hate (fear) Rachel Maddow. Maybe you and others can access the site; I can't.

I'm clearly under attack in many ways. When I can afford it, I'm going to get either a router, a proxy or a VPN before I format C.

Any suggestions?

Every day ia a battle to get around things done to my PC. I don't succeed often. I'm up against powers far beyond me.

I'd be delighted to hear any recommendations you may have, especially about routers and such, which work best..

Thanks.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

It is not within the purview of BC, nor would it be advisable, for us to undertake communications with any entity on behalf of an individual member.  That is, and should remain, your own job.

You also appear to be under the mistaken impression that you (for any you, not just you, personally) have an inviolable right to remain able to post whatever you see fit on the comments section of Daily Kos or elsewhere.   Everyone who is on a comments section, forum, etc., is there at the pleasure of those who own it and pay to maintain it.  Entities like Daily Kos, in particular, have a specific viewpoint that they choose to promulgate and are entirely within their rights to exercise whatever editorial control they so wish on their comments section.

BleepingComputer does the same on its forums in that if any member insists on violating the forum rules they will receive anything between a kind warning to please stop what they're doing up through being banned.   No one has an absolute right to say anything in a venue that they do not own and control.  Free speech is not about forcing anyone to carry words under their publishing aegis that they do not care to carry.

You need to address the issue you are having yourself.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

You have misunderstood me a little.

I DO understand your point about DK controlling content. They have the right to block people, and they should.  I'm a former paralegal. You say your site would warn someone or just tell them they're blocked. I got no such thing from DK, but they probably DO something similar. Since I am blocked from even contacting them (things on the helpdesk webpage don't work), I am not claiming that DK did this to me. I don't abuse their rules of the road. I have never thought I could post anything at all. I'm fully aware of my responsibilities in commenting.

A user CAN appeal being blocked, but only if the pathway to making the request is not, itself, blocked. Since it is happening, DK has a right to know what people are doing to users of their site. In that sense, they're victims, too. I'd be surprised if it was only me with this problem. I'm nothing special, just an old disabled lady living in Mexico. There are surely many other targets of these hackers.

I can't even register in a new name, because I can't LOG OFF! Do responsible sites do that? I don't think so.

This is a sophisticated and malevolent effort that hurts not just me, but DK as well. Access to pages on their site is being tampered. I think they have a right to know.

This may be done from DK by an unknown troll on their staff, but even if that is it, I am not blaming Kos. This was done to my account by someone ELSE.

There is a way to contact them, but my browsers can't reach them. I can't even ask them why this was done. I'd also want to alert them to the possibility of a troll in their midst. What is happening to me is entirely out of sync with what I know of Daily Kos. Someone who didn't like what I posted would be someone else who wanted me silenced for political reasons. It worked.

Since DK can't even know yet that this problem has happened, it shows that they did NOT do this.

I understand the wisdom behind your inability to make a request for me. I should have given more thought to the legality of my request, but I know you are correct. Sorry about that.

But I'd sure appreciate any suggestion of how someone can ask DK to please contact me, because I can't contact them. Any ideas?

What do you think of the odds that this whole problem is in my browsers, or my registry? Could something on MY system be doing all this blocking? How might I look for it?

Whoever is doing this is being brazenly illegal. Interference with international and interstate communications is a federal crime. A very serious one.

Thanks for your patience.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

Why do you not simply go to the library, or somewhere similar, and see if you can gain access using a computer that is not your own and is not connected to your usual network?

You seem to me to be willing to jump to some very big conclusions without having done any of the very basic steps in diagnosing whether something may be due to either your own computer and/or network.

It's not like it's difficult to find public access to a computer or to ask a friend if you can hop online for a couple of minutes when you're visiting them.

I personally believe it's probably something on your computer, but I cannot say that definitively.  You'd have a lot more support for that premise if the issues do not occur on other hardware located elsewhere that you do not typically use.

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Just to add to britechguy's idea since you've said you're a disabled (won't say old as that's relative) lady, if physical mobility is limited, is there a trusted family member, friend, neighbor or acquaintance who wouldn't mind the small imposition of registering/logging in to pass along your concerns via PM (personal message) to someone of importance there?
Providing a link to your posted thread here to whomever for reading as a guest would simplify communication of your dilemma by its very detail.
This would accomplish both a way to slip the note under the radar of any member/staff if indeed they are responsible for your problem, and provide a response line back to you with their explanation. 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#9 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

I am elderly, disabled (wheelchair) and live alone - in Mexico. I can't go to other places at all. The options I'd have in the States don't exist for me here. But I did get around the block, by registering under another username. Then I COULD comment a few times. So I contacted DK and told them the whole story.

Five minutes later, the new username was also blocked. FIVE MINUTES was all it took.

While I certainly could be failing to do things, it's either that I can't do them or don't know of  them.

But after being blocked so fast, I feel sure it's being done by a mole at DK, who got my message instead of the administration, and applied the only remedy he knew how to make.

I'll remind you that not everything suspected of being a crime can be dismissed as not one. Real crimes really DO happen/. If a mole at DK is doing this, it is a federal crime under the FCC which comes with hard time.

There's still a chance my browser was infected -  all 3 of them, actually. But I want DK to know of this problem also for THEIR sake. Somebody is meddling with their users, and they have a right to know it. Whether done through users' browsers or at their own site, it's still a crime against DK, not just against me.

I hope you agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users