Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't load desktop. Not sure what went wrong.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Macavy

Macavy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Ok... Story time because I feel like this needs some backstory.

In November I had a tech savvy friend and his tech savvy brother help me buy parts for a new tower computer. We went in to the store, bought all the parts, had the staff there install the graphics card to the mother board, then they offered to take it home and build the rest for me.
I get it back that night,set up windows and add my programs yadda yadda. All is well until near the end of December.

Suddenly I start getting a 'could not detect boot device' error. Around this same time I had installed more RAM - same brand, speed, and gb amount. The only thing was that it was a used one that was returned to the store. I don't remember if the problem started before or after I installed it but my computer detected it and everything so idk. I thought everything was fine.

The error happenened constantly - i open my computer multiple times to try and push cables in or something until finally last week or so I unplug the hard drive cable and plug it back in. Have not gotten the error since BUT now my computer is running extremely slow. It has a lot of RAM, plenty of memory space, and has a 3.5 ghz AMD processor and Nvidia graphics card so it definitely should not be freezing just trying to open a simple file.

Finally today it gave up. It froze so I turned it off and on, and now windows is trying to repair itself. Constantly restarting in an attempt tofinish the process.

My main question with this is. . . any idea what may have caused it? Bad RAM? Windows issue from all the times the harddrive got disconnected? I have the disc so I can just reinstall it but I really don't want to loose my files.

I'd ask my friend but I bothered them so much already with the boot issue that I want to try other options before I resort to that. I appreciate any help.

EDIT: It was not able to repair i think. It can't get past the black screen you see right before it shows the sign-in page. I can move my mouse around and it has the blue wheel signifyin that it's tryin to load but even after leaving it on all nigh tto see if it would it never got past that black screen. I can't access my desktop now . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users