Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied - no Security tab

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vintrix

vintrix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I tried restricting a secondary drive on my home computer for a particular user. I set up a new user account and then RC on the D: drive > properties > security tab. There was an Administrator account and a User account. I selected the Users account and hit Edit, then selected Deny checkbox for 'Full control'

When I log in now as Administrator, I also get Access Denied. When I RC on the D: drive and go to Properties there is no security tab. 

Here is what I tried so far: 

1. Set up a Symbolic Link on the C: drive pointing to the D: drive. But I still get Access Denied. 

2. I tried to take ownership as Admin using CMD line: > takeown /F D:\ /R but again Access Denied

3. Set up another Administrator account, logged into it but it also gets Access Denied. 

4. I searched on the forums but all the answers given are about resetting the permissions via the security tab.

Any ideas on how to get access to the D: drive again? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

You can try resetting permissions to defaults, using ICACLS.

Or you could try resetting by using Windows Repair Tool.

I don't vouch for either attempt, just noting that some believe that each may work.

Louis

#3 vintrix

vintrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Hamluis, the ICACLS didn't work just got an error saying it didn't work. Downloading the repair tool now to see if that will sort it out. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

If the repair tool doesn't work see if changing permissions in the hidden Administrator account works. This account has more permissions than an ordinary admin account.

Open an elevated command prompt in an admin account. Type CMD in the search box > right click Run As Administrator. Type the following command:

net user administrator /active:yes

Login to the now enabled Administrator Account and use the Takeown command then the icacls command

#5 vintrix

vintrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

Still no joy!

I downloaded the Windows Repair Tool and ran through all the repairs, it only seems to repair the files on the C: drive though. I then ran the net user command above, logged into the Administrator account and ran 'takeown /f D:\ /R' from the cmd in Admin mode but it is still giving me 'Access Denied'

There must be a way to override the permissions on this drive? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

The highest privileged account in Windows is the System Account but according to this Takeown is not possible using the System Account. I am out of ideas, sorry.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/takeown-system-user-cannot-claim-ownership/42499b15-6939-4c2b-811c-04449dd2a8b2?auth=1

https://alieneyes.wordpress.com/2006/10/23/how-to-gain-access-to-system-account-the-most-powerful-account-in-windows/

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

FWIW:  I was fooling around with permissions on my other Win 7 computer a few months ago and borked it.  I tried the two tools I previously suggested, no joy...I just did a clean install to resolve the issues (i'm not terriied by clean installs and I have backups and valid/legal install media).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users