Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tapir

Tapir

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Hi

I think my laptop may have finally had it but since I don't want to just give up without trying, I wonder if anyone can help.

Firstly, the battery is dead so it only switches on when plugged into the mains. After several power failures (due to the laptop power cord sitting loosely in the socket) the laptop won't boot windows. Startup Repair tries but fails time and time again to fix the issue.

Please note that I cannot try booting from a windows cd as I don't have access to one. I'm also told the CD drive no longer works!

I'll try to upload screen shots to this thread using my mobile where possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:50 AM

Please note that I cannot try booting from a windows cd as I don't have access to one. I'm also told the CD drive no longer works!

you can create a bootable USB stick for free....

what version of windows?

#3 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

Thanks, I'm on Windows 7. I'm not sure if my USB drives work anymore either but I'd be willing to try. Last time I was able to boot up, I could plug a speaker into the USB when watching catch up tv so assume that USB works! The only other computer I have access to, however, is my partner's work laptop and I think there might be some kind of restriction on the USB ports... I'll investigate.

For info, I've tried the following all in safe mode:

Restoring back to all restore points available - takes ages as if trying but ultimately fails
performing CHKDSK /f which returns 0 bad sectors but a message with error code (please see attached)
attempted sfc /scannow but it says there is a repair pending which seems to be stuck in a loop. I've tried overriding this with dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions but get error 2. Dism log file can be found at x:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.exe.

Attached Files

#4 Steve_of_Indiana

Steve_of_Indiana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

I know where "mikey11" is going & it is likely he is thinking the same things I am. At this point the good news is your computer is functioning but there is something -- likely in Windows -- that is keeping it from getting to the home screen.

Unlike Windows 8 & 10, most Windows 7 installs did not have locks on the USB ports. One exception to that is some employers had things setup so computers they owned could not access USB drives.

That said my first thought would be to preserve everything you have as the normal recovery processes might corrupt or erase data. Check with the people you know to see if you can find someone who knows how to take a backup of the data you have by booting from a USB drive that has a backup utility. I saw in your post that you were having problems accessing the USB ports but I tend to be an optimist even as the headsman's axe falls.

If you were able to find someone knowledgeable another option would be to pull the hard disc, connect it to a cable that allows it to be plugged into the USB port on a different computer & backup the data to that computer.

Since chkdsk found nothing, I would really suspect the issues are with Windows itself & it might be possible to reinstall Windows using the repair option.

Please keep us in the loop.

#5 Tapir

Tapir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying and thank you for your responses. I've checked with my partner and he says the work laptop USB ports are all locked so only useable for charging things. Our personal laptop can charge mini speakers via USB ports too but I suspect is otherwise defunct. Unfortunately I don't know anyone knowledgeable when it comes to computers. Thankfully I did back up quite a lot of stuff but I'd really like to get access if I can as there are still some newer files that I didn't get round to backing up (lesson learnt) - does anyone know of anything else I could try in the command prompt?

#6 Steve_of_Indiana

Steve_of_Indiana

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

I want to make sure I have not missed anything.

1) you have had several instances where the computer crashed when power was interrupted
2) you believe (but we are unsure) the USB ports will not allow data transfer
3) the only other available computer you have access to has the USB ports locked down

Does your partner have anyone he knows with a computer that does not have the USB ports locked down? If yes that would simplify things because there is a chance the disc in your laptop can be removed & connected to this other computer so data can be saved. Removing a disc is not that difficult unless your computer is designed to prevent you from doing your own repairs. Just be careful to avoid static electricity, remember that parts inside a computer are VERY FRAGILE & you need a clean surface at least 1.5 meters on a side (small envelopes are a good place for small parts.) If there is not another person with a computer follow the steps below.

At this point our options are very limited. Is your partner able to burn a DVD on his computer? If the answer is yes, the DVD drive on your laptop works, your partner or someone you know has some Linux experience my next thought is to try burning a Linux disc, booting from the Linux disc (BUT IT IS IMPORTANT TO CHOOSE TRY NOT INSTALL) by tapping the appropriate function key repeatedly while powering up the laptop & choosing to boot from the DVD drive. Whew!

If we can get this far the next thing to do is insert a small e.g. 8GB USB disc formatted as FAT32 (This is one of the choices Windows gives when formatting a USB disc — another computer will be required if the USB disc must be formatted. If you have to format the USB disc copy the files someplace else.) with some files (nothing you do not mind loosing if something goes wrong) in one of the USB ports on your laptop — after a brief interval look for the icon for a USB disc on the desktop. If you see the icon skip to the next paragraph, otherwise move the USB disc & watch for the icon, continue until you see the icon or run out of ports.

The next thing to do is plug an Ethernet cable into your laptop & checking to see if it finds the Internet by starting a browser.

There is a lot of stuff here but the conditions we have to work with here place some very severe limitations on our options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users