Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Meant By Compatibility ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 moha

moha

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:46 AM

Whenever i read or hear about computer hardware the word compatible is often there. I know that there must be a kind of harmony between different parts of the computer but this is general understanding of the concept. i would like to how how this is true with the motherborad for example in relation with the processor or the memory .how can i know that my mobod supports a certain type of proceeor or memory.and if the power supply and other items have someting to do with this issue. thank you all in advance .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Temo

Temo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

Well for example there are many types of Socket Type... There are about 8 right now (Socket A, 939, AM2) and every other year new ones replaces the old ones. Your procesor can only fit in one type of socket

Also a simple example it the USB ports. There are 8 shapes (USB A MALE, USB A Female, USB B Male, USB B Female, USB Mini A male...)

And you need a female to fit in a male one.
The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

#3 moha

moha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

Well for example there are many types of Socket Type... There are about 8 right now (Socket A, 939, AM2) and every other year new ones replaces the old ones. Your procesor can only fit in one type of socket

Also a simple example it the USB ports. There are 8 shapes (USB A MALE, USB A Female, USB B Male, USB B Female, USB Mini A male...)

And you need a female to fit in a male one.

thank u temo
but to be clearer i am asking about other things like front bus speed because i read that sometimes there is what is called bottleneck for the processor if the mobod doesnt cope with the speed of the processor
thank you once again

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

Compatibility is usually related to items such as RAM to motheboard. Obviously a 184 pin configuration isn't going to work in a RAM slot for 200 pin modules. The motherboard is the determining factor when it comes to which RAM you can use, some of the older boards would support high density, while other would require low density modules.

As for bottlenecks, this is usually a relationship between the CPU and your memory speed. The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture

The separation between the CPU and memory leads to what is known as the von Neumann bottleneck. The throughput (data transfer rate) between the CPU and memory is very small in comparison with the amount of memory. In modern machines, throughput is very small in comparison with the rate at which the CPU itself can work. Under some circumstances (when the CPU is required to perform minimal processing on large amounts of data), this gives rise to a serious limitation in overall effective processing speed. The CPU is continuously forced to wait for vital data to be transferred to or from memory. As CPU speed and memory size have increased much faster than the throughput between the two, the bottleneck has become more and more of a problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users